North set to get vote in Presidential elections

Black Swan

Well, all depends on what you mean by state and what you mean by non-resident citizen of that state.

Simples.
The state that is the subject of the OP and those who are, or may be eligible for citizenship of that state, but who don't reside there.

Would you support a policy allowing them to vote in the elections of that state?

GDPR

The state that is the subject of the OP and those who are, or may be eligible for citizenship of that state, but who don't reside there.

Would you support a policy allowing them to vote in the elections of that state?
What policy? Have you read the Seanad draft White Paper based on the Citizens Assembly hearings? You are referring to that?

Ps if you want to dabble in the NI Forum be aware we do detail petunia

former wesleyan

Considering you wouldn't have any actual power, it's perfect for you.
Which is why they gave the first gig to a Prod I suspect. Standing outside in the rain at the end was a small sacrifice to make.

Black Swan

What policy? Have you read the Seanad draft White Paper based on the Citizens Assembly hearings? You are referring to that?

Ps if you want to dabble in the NI Forum be aware we do detail petunia
It's a pretty straightforward question really.

A policy enabling non-resident citizens of the state which is the subject of the OP, to vote in the elections of that state.

Would you support such a policy?

GDPR

Which is why they gave the first gig to a Prod I suspect. Standing outside in the rain at the end was a small sacrifice to make.
Nonsense. The President post was designed for a Prod. A proper one, not the yahoos in the Northern Assembly.

You know: someone who would take it all very seriously. :)

GDPR

It's a pretty straightforward question really.

A policy enabling non-resident citizens of the state which is the subject of the OP, to vote in the elections of that state.

Would you support such a policy?
Oh dear, I should never have encouraged you. :)

Betson

It is a mickey mouse ceremonial post anyway , let anyone vote who wants to citizen or not. Make it a phone vote with people allowed to vote as many times as they like , that way we can at least make some money out of it and it will in some small way make it worth having an election for this post.

Black Swan

It is a mickey mouse ceremonial post anyway , let anyone vote who wants to citizen or not. Make it a phone vote with people allowed to vote as many times as they like , that way we can at least make some money out of it and it will in some small way make it worth having an election for this post.
Surely there are principles at stake? If it's mickey mouse, it might as well be abolished.

D

Deleted member 39930

Surely there are principles at stake? If it's mickey mouse, it might as well be abolished.
Just the principle that all your citizens get a say. You know, like grown up countries such as France and the US do. Sorry if that bursts your bubble, but them's the breaks kid. There's nothing abnormal about the proposal, despite your attempts to troll the thread.

belfast1981

Few questions, will this be all citizens living in 'The North of Ireland' or only those with Irish passports? If you are to allow voting for people in NI in elections it has to be all in NI, not just those who have Irish passports (You know, because according to many republican's we are all Irish and not British)

If you apply it to only those who have an Irish passport, it does sadly risk putting a further wedge in Orange vs Green and giving us yet another sectarian divide up here.

What way is the Irish president elections done? Is it each person runnings name on the ballot or is it more like the UK, where you elect a party per district and the leader of the party with the largest vote becomes PM?

Will this in any way effect Stormont at NI level? since NI now has a political say in the south, will southern parties then have a say in NI?

I am asking this out of my own ignorance, I know very little of the Southern system of politics and do want to try and understand things a little better.

Black Swan

Just the principle that all your citizens get a say. You know, like grown up countries such as France and the US do. Sorry if that bursts your bubble, but them's the breaks kid. There's nothing abnormal about the proposal, despite your attempts to troll the thread.
Get a say in the affairs of a state that they no longer reside in? Can you explain why they should? By explain I mean actual reasons, not appeals to populism or power or any other fallacy you care to invoke.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom