North-South Ministerial Council Meeting

Dame_Enda

The first NSMC meeting in 3.5 years is happening today in Dublin Castle.

What North-South cooperation would you like to see?

I'm particularly interested in Nicola Mallons Infrastructure Department. She is going to the meeting. I would like to see a rail service linking Donegal to Dublin.

Last edited:

NMunsterman

I'm particularly interested in Nicola Mallons Infrastructure Department. She is going to the meeting. I would like to see a rail service linking Donegal to Dublin.

Indeed.
1. High-speed rail link Dublin-Belfast via Dublin Airport -> continuing on to Dublin centre and linking up with other destinations.

2. Motorway Dublin-Derry/L´Derry

3. Emerald Isle Tourist offices in each EU country, Britain, US, Canada and other selected large potential markets, promoting tourism in Ireland covering all 4 Provinces in a coordinated manner maimiing the potential.
Visiting Dublin ? -> take in a trip to Belfast and the north-east coast too.

4. Health service - regional health centres covering regions transcending the Border.

5. Integrated and coordinated transport network - ship, air, rail, bus, road - with 5, 10, 15 and 20 year plans.

A preliminary list to start with - we need to get real and start planning now across the entire spectrum of infrastructure and services to positively impact on peoples lives.

forest

Plans to build a wall around NI and removal of irish citizens to those born in NI :)

McSlaggart

I like the idea. The fact that the A5 is being resurfaced rather than made into a motorway would give me the impression you might be waiting a long time.

Dame_Enda

I like the idea. The fact that the A5 is being resurfaced rather than made into a motorway would give me the impression you might be waiting a long time.
Perhaps. The Unionists have an East-West mentality, whereas the Nationalists have a North-South one. I think though that with changing demographics, the facts on the ground should move more towards an equilibrium in terms of transport and other economic links. There are only 3 active train stations west of the Bann, compared to 53 west of the Bann. That doesnt reflect the wishes of NI society in 2020. The Alliance party even supports the high speed rail idea.

McSlaggart

Perhaps. The Unionists have an East-West mentality, whereas the Nationalists have a North-South one. I think though that with changing demographics, the facts on the ground should move more towards an equilibrium in terms of transport and other economic links. There are only 3 active train stations west of the Bann, compared to 53 west of the Bann. That doesnt reflect the wishes of NI society in 2020. The Alliance party even supports the high speed rail idea.
It was more about not giving nationalists infrastructure (jobs etc) in the hope they would piss off some place else

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom