Northern Fianna Fáil contest for seat on Ard Chomhairle

ArtyisBack

Two northern contestants for the Fianna Fáil Ard Chomhairle Sorcha McAnespy, ex-Sinn Fein and Pat McCarthy , former Lord Mayor of Belfast for the SDLP, are going head to head.

Both have an interesting history, McAnespy resigned from Sinn Fein citing misogyny and nepotism but not policy as the reason, nothing of course to do with not being selected for Assembly elections.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2016/04/02/former-sinn-fein-cllr-sorcha-mcanespy-theres-too-much-nepotism-and-misogyny-present-in-the-party-locally-its-jobs-for-the-boys-it-is-not-open-and-transparent/

In the other corner is former internee McCarthy - Sdlp councillor for years in South Belfast and recipient of an MBE for community relations work.

http://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb/irishnews/irishnews/irishnews//news/2016/01/01/news/former-sdlp-belfast-mayor-and-internee-defends-mbe-award-368456/content.html

It will be interesting to see if the backwoodsmen in FF will back the former Sinn Feiner who has no problem with Sinn Fein policies or the internee stooper who accepted an MBE for community relations work.

hollandia

Two northern contestants for the Fianna Fáil Ard Chomhairle Sorcha McAnespy, ex-Sinn Fein and Pat McCarthy , former Lord Mayor of Belfast for the SDLP, are going head to head.

Both have an interesting history, McAnespy resigned from Sinn Fein citing misogyny and nepotism but not policy as the reason, nothing of course to do with not being selected for Assembly elections.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2016/04/02/former-sinn-fein-cllr-sorcha-mcanespy-theres-too-much-nepotism-and-misogyny-present-in-the-party-locally-its-jobs-for-the-boys-it-is-not-open-and-transparent/

In the other corner is former internee McCarthy - Sdlp councillor for years in South Belfast and recipient of an MBE for community relations work.

Former SDLP Belfast mayor and internee defends MBE award - The Irish News

It will be interesting to see if the backwoodsmen in FF will back the former Sinn Feiner who has no problem with Sinn Fein policies or the internee stooper who accepted an MBE for community relations work.
TBH, i'm more interested in when they will stand for election rather than who sits on their Ard Comhairle. I'm also interested in whether, when they stand, they will take their seats in Westminster.

cricket

How soon before we have a Down Royal tent ?

kbcav

McAnespy ran twice in West Tyrone and got annihilated by SF.She hasnt a snowballs chance in hell of winning a council seat.

hollandia

Sinn Fein used to be in that "telephone box" so be careful on what Party you sneer at.
However SF have always stood in the North. If you knew anything "blow ins" aren't that well received, a glance at the Tory and Labour Alternative vote over the last few elections would put you right.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
TBH, i'm more interested in when they will stand for election rather than who sits on their Ard Comhairle. I'm also interested in whether, when they stand, they will take their seats in Westminster.
Is there any point in aspiring to become "the other abstentionist party"?

realistic1

However SF have always stood in the North. If you knew anything "blow ins" aren't that well received, a glance at the Tory and Labour Alternative vote over the last few elections would put you right.
So 26 county Irish Politicians are classed as "blow ins" Is that the SF mentality??

ShinnerBot No.32564844524

Is there any point in aspiring to become "the other abstentionist party"?
C'mon Toland, you're wise enough to understand the implications of FF's labeling themselves the: "The Republican Party"

Since abstentionism began, I'm unaware of any Republican elected to Westminster who hasn't been abstentionist. What are FF to do? Call themselves the Republican party in the 26 while pledging allegiance to the queen in the 6?

Republican politics aside, isn't the concept of a party potentially in government pledging allegiance to the head of another state a bit problematic in itself?

All this just shows how cheap and ill thought Mickies swipe at SF for not taking their seats was, but that's one thing we both agree on: FF and cheap publicity stunts...don't you deny it :p

statsman

If FF start running in elections in the North, is there any hope at all that they might stop running in elections in the Republic? I'm looking for a silver lining here.

hollandia

So 26 county Irish Politicians are classed as "blow ins" Is that the SF mentality??
Ask SF - I'm neither a member nor a supporter. I'm telling you what I know from the available evidence. And "blow ins" are people who sat on their arses and did fúck all for ninety years, and now decide they want to be bothered. Like the Tories and Labour, and now FF.

New Threads

Most Replies