Northern ireland election coming?

Novos

Strawberry

On Sinn Fein's threat an election could be called, Mr Campbell told the BBC: "If people demand certain things they end up getting them.

"If Sinn Fein want that we will face it.

"I don't know that it will resolve anything but we certainly won't be afraid and we won't walk away from it."

If Sinn Fein want election over RHI scandal then bring it on, says DUP's Gregory Campbell - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

If one is called I believe it take place in March.
Oh great. Just in time for Brexit, looks like 2017 is going to be fun.

aiteal

"If Sinn Fein want that we will face it.
Everyone back to their designated foxholes?
It's not like people will switch their votes from DUP to SF, the people the DUP will have to face is their own electorate.
Gregory will be ok either way, it's not like his Westminster seat is up for grabs at an assembly election, and just think how much RHI money the DUP can get back in anonymous party donations for an election campaign.

vivabrigada

hollandia

Looks like it. The DUP attacked the Irish language in one of the most petty ways they could by cutting a measly fifty grand in funding a bursary scheme.

Sinn Féin again hit out at DUP after Irish language bursary scrapped - The Irish News

The same minister awarded tens of thousands to loyalist bands for instruments.
The DUPes will buy it again.
I don't know. There is enormous anger out there about this. I don't think the dup will be able to count on the level of support they think they have. There are unionist alternatives. And one thing an election campaign will do is increase the number and frequency of revelations. Also pissing off the newsletter is not great unionist politics. I fear the hubris may severely damage them if an election is called.

PBP voter

Waste of time.

They will get the same result as last time.

Sectarian head count politics.

Novos

If there is an election do we drop down to 5 seats per constituency?

PBP voter

If there is an election do we drop down to 5 seats per constituency?
if this is the case the chances of it happening are 0.

Novos

Truth.ie

ger12

Looks like it's gonna be election time sooner rather than later.

The whole power sharing thing, time to move to a more normal system, not one where it's a one for you one for me system.

vivabrigada

I don't know. There is enormous anger out there about this. I don't think the dup will be able to count on the level of support they think they have. There are unionist alternatives. And one thing an election campaign will do is increase the number and frequency of revelations. Also pissing off the newsletter is not great unionist politics. I fear the hubris may severely damage them if an election is called.
My opinion is that the DUP know that. They have until January 16th to ditch Arlenegate or face the public in an election.
Informed commentators are telling us there is more to come on this.
" Every jot and tittle" will be Arniegates political epitaph rider way.

Lord Talbot

Worst that can happen is Assembly gets suspended while the parents remind the kiddies to play nice or no sweeties.

Novos

Best part is we lose 18 of them no matter what.

vivabrigada

That was implemented in good faith by Pat Doherty while Girvan was being petty, vindictive and playing to the lowest common denominator in DUP support, trying to distract from Arlenegates difficuties.
They abandoned the fleggers and camp Twaddell after winding them up. They have cosied up to loyalist paramilitaries again when votes are needed.
The DUP have been scaring working class unionists into voting for them for decades, the dupes buy it every time, I don't expect them to change anytime soon.

ticketyboo

Complete waste of time and money.
What do you think about the substantive issue, Ray...?
Do we retreat to our trenches and take the view that if themunns, as the vernacular here goes, are for it, then we're against it...?
This isn't an issue regarding our cultural allegiances, the national question, the constitutional reality...it's a monumentally bad decision in the operation of the scheme, I think most people accept.....
There is a historical precedent with Peter and Iris where the overwhelmingly unionist community did punish wrongdoing, but if it is seen as a SF inspired move will they retreat to the foxholes....?

CastleRay

What do you think about the substantive issue, Ray...?
Do we retreat to our trenches and take the view that if themunns, as the vernacular here goes, are for it, then we're against it...?
This isn't an issue regarding our cultural allegiances, the national question, the constitutional reality...it's a monumentally bad decision in the operation of the scheme, I think most people accept.....
There is a historical precedent with Peter and Iris where the overwhelmingly unionist community did punish wrongdoing, but if it is seen as a SF inspired move will they retreat to the foxholes....?
See RHI thread for fuller view but in short: If there's an election caused by SF and SF likely to benefit by not voting DUP, the dup will not be harmed electorally as some might suspect; the East Belfast choice in 2010 was Robinson or Long/Ringland NOT Robinson or McGuinness; I won't be voting DUP if there is an election, but I don't vote dup anyway.

CastleRay

That was implemented in good faith by Pat Doherty while Girvan was being petty, vindictive and playing to the lowest common denominator in DUP support, trying to distract from Arlenegates difficuties.
They abandoned the fleggers and camp Twaddell after winding them up. They have cosied up to loyalist paramilitaries again when votes are needed.
The DUP have been scaring working class unionists into voting for them for decades, the dupes buy it every time, I don't expect them to change anytime soon.
Carol Ni Chuillin cut the bands' funding. Was that petty, vindictive, and playing to the lowest common denominator?

New Threads

Most Replies