Northern Ireland has the highest suicide rate in the Atlantic Isles.

GDPR

See page fifteen of this report;

http://www.samaritans.org/sites/default/files/kcfinder/files/Samaritans suicide statistics report 2016.pdf

I was surprised and saddened to see that it is even (significantly) higher than that of Scotland. It is also interesting that Wales (a great country- probably my favourite on these Isles) has the lowest. The suicide rate in England is higher for women than that of the Republic of Ireland but a little lower when it comes to men. Unless we stop the Ulster habit of slapping ourselves on the back and telling ourselves we are wonderful I doubt we will be able to solve this horrible problem.

between the bridges

Definitely a major problem, iirc there have been more suicides since the GFA than there where deaths/murders in the troubles, but I doubt if there has been a 100th of the publicity, investigation, recognition or financial investment. This is happening in the here and now, I'm sure virtually everyone on here will have known someone who ended their own life.

InsideImDancing

It is horrendous, very little opportunity worth getting excited about for young people so they turn to drink, drugs are basically a side effect of the drink, and their minds are nowhere strong enough to handle this sort of abuse, but they think they can handle it - so they keep going.

They end up so bad that jumping off the top of the Foyle bridge seems like an option. Horrible. I must know 50 people who've died like this - not just suicide but by general abuse, suicide maybe making up 50% of that number though. Horrible, name after name, friend after friend.

The whole system needs dragged down or there will be a massive backlash against it. This is young people we are talking about, not known for taking shÍt lying down.

InsideImDancing

Definitely a major problem, iirc there have been more suicides since the GFA than there where deaths/murders in the troubles, but I doubt if there has been a 100th of the publicity, investigation, recognition or financial investment. This is happening in the here and now, I'm sure virtually everyone on here will have known someone who ended their own life.
I know 20 at least mate.

CastleRay

It is horrendous, very little opportunity worth getting excited about for young people so they turn to drink, drugs are basically a side effect of the drink, and their minds are nowhere strong enough to handle this sort of abuse, but they think they can handle it - so they keep going.

They end up so bad that jumping off the top of the Foyle bridge seems like an option. Horrible. I must know 50 people who've died like this - not just suicide but by general abuse, suicide maybe making up 50% of that number though. Horrible, name after name, friend after friend.

The whole system needs dragged down or there will be a massive backlash against it. This is young people we are talking about, not known for taking shÍt lying down.
50 is horrific.
Sadly our local advice charity, FASA, closed earlier this year.
What system needs dragged down to end suicide and substance abuse?

Strawberry

The suicide rate is too high on both sides of the border. It seems to be an under rated problem everywhere really, Britain too. Investment in mental health services seems to be below par in both countries generally.

vivabrigada

InsideImDancing

50 is horrific.
Sadly our local advice charity, FASA, closed earlier this year.
What system needs dragged down to end suicide and substance abuse?
The system that sees young people without opportunity, it's happening all over Europe, has not always been thus. Something has got to give.

McSlaggart

The system that sees young people without opportunity, it's happening all over Europe, has not always been thus. Something has got to give.
The world in which society needed people to work is on the way out. We have not even begun to get our heads round this major shift in the human condition. This at a time educational costs are growing year on year and living with your parents is often the only way to get a roof over your head.

What it means to be a success for the young badly needs addressing as part of their wider education.

hollandia

I've (to my knowledge) only known two people who have deliberately taken their own lives, one a childhood friend, the other a former colleague. Utterly horrible. The latter had recognised the problem, and sought help, but to no avail. Many people have been complaining over the last few years about a lack of investment in mental health issues, and around the area of suicide in general. We, as voters, should pressurise those in political roles, to do what's needed to reverse the trends. Regardless of political outlook.

GDPR

Wales is a "Second World" impoverished country, I wouldnt be surprised if Northern Ireland is actually better off than her, yet she has less suicides than both the ROI and England which are the best off parts of these Isles. Yes economics do play a part in this but there are obviously other factors at work as well.

Lúidín

There needs to be some clarification in the statistics between those who choose to end their own lives in old age or when diagnosed with a terminal illness and the seemingly unexplained deaths in earlier years of healthy people.

One day society will allow and even facilitate suicide for those who seek it in certain circumstances. It is deplorable that those who cannot afford a trip to Switzerland, where it is legally possible to end one's life in a civilised way, must resort to ways of ending their lives that are appalling.

O'Sullivan Bere

Any suggestions?
More social awareness about depression would help.

Moreover, Ireland has long had a social habit of 'suck it up' and 'work it off' with physical injury and 'kwityerbellyachin' with anything deemed 'whinging.'

Sometimes that tough love response is warranted to keep people from lazy work excuses and indulgent self pitying.

Other times we aggravated legitimate injuries such as playing sports or doing labour with concussions and tears. The better question is asking "are you hurt...or injured" as there is a key difference when it comes to physical injury.

Clinical depression or going through extreme distress (lost job, family death, bankruptcy, ugly divorce/separation, etc) needs an educated and empathetic response where warranted.

InsideImDancing

Any suggestions?
Well they dragged down the manufacturing industry maybe there is some scope to put some of it back up again, or at least something similar. Picture the difference between going to some car manufacturing plant with a load of mates for a half decent wage and the current situation where if you don't have a degree you get paid absolute garbage for working in some sh*t hole. The internet I feel, especially for a tiny place like NI, offers massive opportunities for young people to make something happen, something they can have a bit of pride in (cause that's what's missing here a little pride, self worth etc.). Help them, give them the tools to help themselves and then eventually the wider economy and society.

Basically I think the problem needs to be recognised and tackled smartly. Start adding value to the tons of young people who are just not right for academia. Don't put some kid in a completely useless call centre course or some hopeless IT NVQ course. Provide the few quid they need to get into driving freight, or to get into security, or for the licenses needed to drive construction hardware.

Apprenticeships in worth while industry, make it happen, throw money at potential employers if needs be. Sanctions too for being antisocial. :)

Provide the dough to get them going online, there are plenty of ways with a few quid and the right guidance to get business going there.

I dunno, but the trend of leaving vast swathes of young people behind on the dole, depressed and often on the drink or drugs, is lunacy. I think the western world is finally starting to wake up to this.

InsideImDancing

Wales is a "Second World" impoverished country, I wouldnt be surprised if Northern Ireland is actually better off than her, yet she has less suicides than both the ROI and England which are the best off parts of these Isles. Yes economics do play a part in this but there are obviously other factors at work as well.
There is much more opportunity in Wales I think, just gotta drive down the road to places where far better chances exist than in NI.

But I dunno why Wales is lower, but this is not just a mental health issue. Don't send them for a hug in some centre, send them out to a life worth living.

hollandia

Well they dragged down the manufacturing industry maybe there is some scope to put some of it back up again, or at least something similar. Picture the difference between going to some car manufacturing plant with a load of mates for a half decent wage and the current situation where if you don't have a degree you get paid absolute garbage for working in some sh*t hole. The internet I feel, especially for a tiny place like NI, offers massive opportunities for young people to make something happen, something they can have a bit of pride in (cause that's what's missing here a little pride, self worth etc.). Help them, give them the tools to help themselves and then eventually the wider economy and society.

Basically I think the problem needs to be recognised and tackled smartly. Start adding value to the tons of young people who are just not right for academia. Don't put some kid in a completely useless call centre course or some hopeless IT NVQ course. Provide the few quid they need to get into driving freight, or to get into security, or for the licenses needed to drive construction hardware.

Apprenticeships in worth while industry, make it happen, throw money at potential employers if needs be. Sanctions too for being antisocial. :)

Provide the dough to get them going online, there are plenty of ways with a few quid and the right guidance to get business going there.

I dunno, but the trend of leaving vast swathes of young people behind on the dole, depressed and often on the drink or drugs, is lunacy. I think the western world is finally starting to wake up to this.
This.

InsideImDancing

This just popped up on my YT playlist.

[video=youtube;wQgiebndmbc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQgiebndmbc[/video]

Beautiful song, one of the best artists out there. Fabulous she is. :p

New Threads

Most Replies