• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Northern Ireland submariner tried to sell secrets to Russia

Aristodemus

InsideImDancing

Saw this today in the Irish Times.

Northern Ireland submariner tried to sell secrets to Russia - The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 14, 2012

I thought there might have been more coverage of it and could find no more detail on it except what was in The Guardian. I could find nothing about it in the Daily Telegraph or on the BBC. Does treason not warrant coverage any more? It will be interesting to see what sort of sentence that receives.
It's a shared society now, he should be knighted.:)

between the bridges

Northern Ireland submariner tried to sell secrets to Russia - The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 14, 2012

I thought there might have been more coverage of it and could find no more detail on it except what was in The Guardian. I could find nothing about it in the Daily Telegraph or on the BBC. Does treason not warrant coverage any more? It will be interesting to see what sort of sentence that receives.
it was on the news but has been disregarded as he isn't one of the 21%...

vivabrigada

I didn't even know NI had a navy, just shows you.

Sync

So you've set this up today after he was sentenced for 8 years yesterday. Yet you somehow only saw it today in a Nov 14th IT article?

Nuclear submariner tried to pass secrets to Russians to 'hurt' Royal Navy - Telegraph

BBC News - Navy submariner jailed for Official Secrets Act breach

Be honest now, how hard did you look?

Mackers

He was upset at not getting a promotion. So he phoned the Russian Embassy to set up a meet to pass secrets. And this guy had a job on a nuclear sub. A hell of a loss to naval Intelligence? Or, should that be spelt navel?

He was angry, and stupid. I take it he didn't realise MI5, 6, or even 7 and a half might just be bugging the gaff? :eek:

vivabrigada

RedCloud

I can't see any fleg, are they a new group? Are they trying to block the Lagan?
Is this the fisrt time a nat/rep has been caught in a 'sting' op ? :)

RedCloud

O'Sullivan Bere

Doing 8 years in the Gulag :)
Gulag hehe? Try 'free' smokes, cable telly, menus and other aspects of some of the HM Prison Shangri-La abodes. Deserves it...8 years is actually light IMO for being a oath bound military serviceman selling secrets.

Ren84

Gulag hehe? Try 'free' smokes, cable telly, menus and other aspects of some of the HM Prison Shangri-La abodes. Deserves it...8 years is actually light IMO for being a oath bound military serviceman selling secrets.
If he was one of your lot Uncle Sam would have hauled his arse off to Gitmo to serve out his days in some hole. petunia

O'Sullivan Bere

If he was one of your lot Uncle Sam would have hauled his arse off to Gitmo to serve out his days in some hole. petunia
:lol: Likely so if they could. They certainly take it extremely seriously with very long and, if really egregious, life sentences without parole. Depending on the conduct, it can even be a capital offence, although they don't actually issue those sentences anymore in reality for that. But speaking of capital offences, the IRA both old and new certainly made such conduct a 'capital offence' and often with worse than Gitmo beforehand for any of its volunteers doing that, that's for sure.

Ren84

I'm surprised he was discovered at all. Some Belfast accents sound so Russian, no one would have guessed! :D
All very James Bond-esque. He's probably pissed off that he didn't get to shag some FSB femme fatale in a Swiss chalet. :)

Ren84

:lol: Likely so if they could. They certainly take it extremely seriously with very long and, if really egregious, life sentences without parole. Depending on the conduct, it can even be a capital offence, although they don't actually issue those sentences anymore in reality for that. But speaking of capital offences, the IRA both old and new certainly made such conduct a 'capital offence' with worse than Gitmo beforehand for any of its volunteers doing that, that's for sure.
How's Bradley Manning doing? ;)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies