Northern Ireland vote required by constituency/county to achieve 50%+1 in a border poll

PBP voter

The misunderstanding holds that, following the implementation of the Good Friday Agreement, a border poll cannot be held unless there is the likelihood of a majority in favour of a united Ireland. This misconception is so widespread that experienced political commentators such as Brian Feeney repeat it; and even the British Government have been known to hide behind it. Another common misunderstanding is that the poll, once triggered the first time, must be held every seven years.
https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/02/26/a-border-poll-can-be-held-at-any-time/

Seen so many politicians and commentators think this.

Have they read the GFA?

Oliver Cromwell McIvor

The Waterside is now a nationalist majority.
He's referring to the whole county this side of the Foyle. The north of the county incl Coleraine is a bastion of Protestantism and the Reformed faith is in the majority overall. Besides, I don't believe you re the Waterside. My church is located there. And how the fukk would an Englishman know more about my own county than me?

Mickeymac

50%+1. That's it.

That is what everyone signed up to in the International Agreement otherwise known as the GFA, unionists (the minority) now wish to scrap this agreement without the consent of the other signatories to it, it is as simple as that and they continue to have their heads completely buried in the sand and don't realise that all political parties in Westminster, Dublin, Washington and further afield are totally behind the Agreement and the referendum terms to end the nonsense of partition in the island of Ireland.

McSlaggart

He's referring to the whole county this side of the Foyle. The north of the county incl Coleraine is a bastion of Protestantism and the Reformed faith is in the majority overall. Besides, I don't believe you re the Waterside. My church is located there. And how the fukk would an Englishman know more about my own county than me?
I think South Derry is also Nationalist?

Oliver Cromwell McIvor

McSlaggart perhaps you're hard of hearing. I said the county east of the Foyle is majority Prod. Can't you get your head around that simple fact?

Oliver Cromwell McIvor

How can it be when south derry is Nationalist? You do know the South goes from East to West?
The South goes from east to west. Is that supposed to be some sort of cryptic double meaning entendre McSlaggart?

County Londonderry has an RC majority because of Cityside. Take that out and its a Prod majority. I don't know how you're not getting this.

McSlaggart

The South goes from east to west. Is that supposed to be some sort of cryptic double meaning entendre McSlaggart?

County Londonderry has an RC majority because of Cityside. Take that out and its a Prod majority. I don't know how you're not getting this.
South derry is that not a majority nationalist part of the county!

firefly123

So if you take away the Catholics then there would be a protestant majority.
Fascinating.
Do continue

tokkie

So if you take away the Catholics then there would be a protestant majority.
Fascinating.
Do continue
He's not the first one of the PUL posters on here to say that. It seems to be a shared mindset.......possibly an aspiration.

Oliver Cromwell McIvor

South derry is that not a majority nationalist part of the county!
Maybe it is but not to the extent that north Derry is PUL. So in basic maths the county - minus City side - has a Prod majority.

Got it now?

Mickeymac

Good to see my like function working again, they must have fixed the problems.

tokkie

Maybe it is but not to the extent that north Derry is PUL. So in basic maths the county - minus City side - has a Prod majority.

Got it now?
The entire island of Ireland has a Prod majority if you remove all the Catholics. What's your point exactly?

arsenal

It says 7 years in the GFA- the courts will support us no matter what a government says because the people voted for the GFA- it’s all in black and white-
It says another border poll cannot be held within 7 years of one taking place, it does not say that once a border poll has been called that there must be one every 7 years after that.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies