Northern Ireland vote required by constituency/county to achieve 50%+1 in a border poll

ON THE ONE ROAD

The opening post had nothing to do with Antrim or Down being allowed to opt-out in the event of Northern Ireland voting yes for reunification and those counties returning no votes,I was just asking as to what sort of yes vote is needed in these areas to allow the west to carry it over the line. Everyone knows that if a border poll is held it will be on the basis of a single national poll for NI on whether to join with Ireland or remain as part of the UK and most reasonable people know that NI will act as one with it all going, or with it all staying.

With census figures showing that catholics outnumber protestants in the other 4 counties and with nationalist parties having much stronger vote shares in the west than in the more british parts of say north down or carrickfergus. I assume that in any border poll in the near future that Antrim as a county will vote overall for no, but Antrim returning a 60% no would mean a successful border poll is very much a possibility but an 75% no vote would leave a mountain for nationalists to overturn in the rest of Ni.

I see what you mean

you would probably be better of breaking it down further. There are 3 westminster constituencies in down and parts of down in lagan vally. then there is four in belast and 3 more in antrim also lagan vally.

It would be laborious getting a figure for antrim and down based on county boundries.

Better of going down further. use the same methodology on unionist strong hold constituencies to get a gauge.

arsenal

I see what you mean

you would probably be better of breaking it down further. There are 3 westminster constituencies in down and parts of down in lagan vally. then there is four in belast and 3 more in antrim also lagan vally.

It would be laborious getting a figure for antrim and down based on county boundries.

Better of going down further. use the same methodology on unionist strong hold constituencies to get a gauge.
The reason I was considering sticking with the old county boundaries was so you need just to do 6 rough calculations rather than 18.

I did some really rough estimates just to see how much of a "block" Antrim or Down might play in a potential border poll.

mac tíre

Mr Cromwell McIvor, it really does appear that a cross section of our fine nation believes that you are Swords Hoopster.

You, sir, will have to address this accusation or forever be branded as a scallywag on this splendid forum.

Failure to provide at least some answers may lead us to believe that you are, in fact, a Secret Agent from Lichtenstein.

Oliver Cromwell McIvor

Swordser, I'm sure I have no earthly idea what you're on about.
Yet another individual linking me with a medieval weapon. :confused:

How and ever...

If you go south to Dublin you'll scarce see a native girl without a wee mulatto child in tow. They're breeding with Africans down there like something out of a horror movie. Don't believe me? Go see for yourself. I was down there on business last month & I couldn't get out of the place quick enough. At least our Orange Lil's aren't race traitor tarts like them.

Mickeymac

Yet another individual linking me with a medieval weapon. :confused:

How and ever...

If you go south to Dublin you'll scarce see a native girl without a wee mulatto child in tow. They're breeding with Africans down there like something out of a horror movie. Don't believe me? Go see for yourself. I was down there on business last month & I couldn't get out of the place quick enough. At least our Orange Lil's aren't race traitor tarts like them.

Don't be making a further knut of yourself sir, do you really want to go into the category of razza/bridget/soggy/doggy and baby craig and laughed at by all and sundry?

Oliver Cromwell McIvor

Mr Cromwell McIvor, it really does appear that a cross section of our fine nation believes that you are Swords Hoopster. You, sir, will have to address this accusation or forever be branded as a scallywag on this splendid forum. Failure to provide at least some answers may lead us to believe that you are, in fact, a Secret Agent from Lichtenstein.
I've no idea who or what those fu*kwits are droning on about Mac Tire.

mac tíre

I've no idea who or what those fu*kwits are droning on about Mac Tire.
Indeed, I know of that blaggard. Whether 'tis yourself, I won't say. Nor would I expect you to.

However, say fúck all til ye hear more, mo chara.

Ardillaun

Who knew that abortion would be a thing we might have to impose on the Brits? And then there's the state of our police service, our health service, our compo culture plus the fact that no young person can afford to live in Dublin at this stage. Think long and hard, Nordies. Actually, both sides may turn out to have commitment issues on the big day.

Last edited:

sean treacy

Prior to new councils,Derry,Limavady and Magherafelt were all nationalist.Derry and Magherafelt overwhelmingly so_Only Coleraine was overwhelmingly Unionist and only because a large part of Coleraine and its hinterland is actually in co Antrim .

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies