• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Northern Ireland's only predominantly gay rugby team

Irish-Rationalist

Meet the Azlans.

A group of dedicated sportsmen have got together to create Northern Ireland's only gay rugby team in a bid to make the game more inclusive.

Better than that, the Belfast-based Azlans club is open to all - young and old, gay and straight, complete beginners and those with a great deal more experience.

Kevin Bartlett, the man behind the team, explained: "The Azlans are actually an inclusive team. It is about welcoming everyone and making everyone feel welcome."

Antrim man Kevin, a disability support officer, has been involved in inclusive sport for the past 20 years. He was involved heavily with the Ulster Titans, Northern Ireland's first gay-friendly rugby club, before it ceased to exist.

"Like I said, the Azlans are inclusive," he continued. "Yes, the team is open to gay people, but you don't have to be gay to get involved. We're open to all.

"Yes, there are gay people who come along and feel comfortable, but it is actually about targeting everyone, for example the person who has always played Gaelic but thinks they would like to give rugby a go."

Meet the Azlans, Northern Ireland's only predominantly gay rugby team - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

:shock2: It's "not all about being gay". However, after match shower's might prove interesting for the heterosexual GAA player who is rugby curious.

Say no more. ;)

mac tíre

We need blokesbloke in this team.

Send for blokey quick. BLOKEY! C'mon get stripped :shock: you're going on.

mac tíre

If we can persuade Matt Carthy to join I'm sure BB won't be far behind.
With his beloved Joanie as manager? He'd be over quicker than you could say...

"Oh, hello BB. Great to meet you. That was quick."

Strawberry

With his beloved Joanie as manager? He'd be over quicker than you could say...

"Oh, hello BB. Great to meet you. That was quick."
She might as well be manager, I doubt her existing job is going to last much longer. :p

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
We need blokesbloke in this team.

Send for blokey quick. BLOKEY! C'mon get stripped :shock: you're going on.

Blokesbloke wouldn't make the team - his ball handling skills are poor.

CastleRay

There was a gay rugby club formed about 10 years ago. There was much fanfare at their launch and a lot of hope that it'd create attention by getting an adverse reaction from the wider support. As it happened the sport had no interest in their sexuality and no headlines could be achieved. The Titans got beaten by about 70 points every game in the lowest league possible and eventually gave up.

Good luck to the Azlans but like the Titans before I think the lesson is that your sexuality is irrelevant and you'd be better concentrating on the sport. There are enough clubs available for people to join regardless of sexual preference so just get on with it.

Ó Ghabhainn

There was a gay rugby club formed about 10 years ago. There was much fanfare at their launch and a lot of hope that it'd create attention by getting an adverse reaction from the wider support. As it happened the sport had no interest in their sexuality and no headlines could be achieved. The Titans got beaten by about 70 points every game in the lowest league possible and eventually gave up.

Good luck to the Azlans but like the Titans before I think the lesson is that your sexuality is irrelevant and you'd be better concentrating on the sport. There are enough clubs available for people to join regardless of sexual preference so just get on with it.
It was the Titans I thought of when I saw the thread title.

Irish-Rationalist

Irish-Rationalist

Predictable and surprised you did not say about heads stuck between airses .:D
According to rumour, that's not all they stick in their arases.

And it's not gay if the balls don't touch.

General Urko

Which is more homoerotic: rugger or men all oiled up body wrestling? BTW if you saw my dress sense, you would know I'm the least gay man alive!petunia

General Urko

I bet there's more Jaffas than Tea Eggs on this team as Rugger is very much the preserve of Jaffas up there!

General Urko

Isnt Rugby in general filled with practicing homosexuals?
Sure according to Freud the only blokes who aren't latent homosexual lads are practising Homosexual lads!:roll:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies