Norwegian Air launch transatlantic from Cork, Dublin, Shannon - can book now

robut

Norwegian confirms transatlantic flights from Dublin, Cork and Shannon from

Budget carrier Norwegian Air International (NAI) has vowed to revolutionise transatlantic travel with one-way flights from €69.

The "groundbreaking" fares, which are inclusive of all taxes and charges, will be available on new NAI flights planned from Dublin, Cork and Shannon to non-hub airports in New York and Boston, starting from July 1.

NAI will operate 12 flights weekly from Dublin to Boston/Providence and New York, four flights weekly from Shannon to Boston/Providence and New York as well as three departures weekly from Cork to Boston/Providence, airline boss Bjorn Kjos has confirmed to Independent.ie.

The Dublin Airport routes include a daily departure to New York's Stewart Airport, located in Orange County, about 90 minutes of New York City, and a five-times weekly service to Providence, both commencing July 1.
This will be the first transatlantic flights from Cork Airport IN 56 YEARS.

You can book now.

So a Transatlantic price war begins in earnest? I dont think many in the US are happy with this?

gleeful

Stewart Airport seems to be remote even by Ryanair standards. To get to New York you need a 3km taxi to the nearest train station. You need to change trains half way aswell. Journey time two hours.

robut

Stewart Airport seems to be remote even by Ryanair standards. To get to New York you need a 3km taxi to the nearest train station. You need to change trains half way aswell. Journey time two hours.
Im sure if enough people subscribe to these flights a connection service via buses / shuttles / taxis will be born?? Even more jobs for The Donald :D

SEAMAI

I've been looking at the details and when you drill down, it doesn't look quite as attractive. Providence (Rhode Island) is not Boston, it's not even that close (think Cork -Limerick) but more importantly it's got very poor onward connections. Stewart (New York) is even further away again with the only connections being 3 to Florida, 1 to Detroit and 1 to Philadelphia. Crossing the Atlantic might have got cheaper but the downside is a lot of inconvenience and little flexibility for travelling on anywhere on the other side.

robut

I've been looking at the details and when you drill down, it doesn't look quite as attractive. Providence (Rhode Island) is not Boston, it's not even that close (think Cork -Limerick) but more importantly it's got very poor onward connections. Stewart (New York) is even further away again with the only connections being 3 to Florida, 1 to Detroit and 1 to Philadelphia. Crossing the Atlantic might have got cheaper but the downside is a lot of inconvenience and little flexibility for travelling on anywhere on the other side.
I am wondering what its like from the perspective of the yank coming over to Ireland .. particularly direct to Cork if family/ancestors were/are at that end of Ireland? Will that be an attraction and not necessarily the price? Based also on not having to get a car / bus / train from Dublin / Shannon?

Will a US tourism boost come for the Southern part of the Rep of Ireland?

SEAMAI

I am wondering what its like from the perspective of the yank coming over to Ireland .. particularly direct to Cork if family/ancestors were/are at that end of Ireland? Will that be an attraction and not necessarily the price? Based also on not having to get a car / bus / train from Dublin / Shannon?

Will a US tourism boost come for the Southern part of the Rep of Ireland?
Well getting to those airports is going to be an issue unless people are within a few hours drive, I can't see it having a huge impact on west-east travel. Shannon isn't a million miles from Cork.
I wasn't that impressed with WOW's flights to North America via Iceland but now they're looking a lot more attractive compared to Norwegian

statsman

Getting into NYC form JFK is bad enough, from Stewart it's just a joke.

lxflyer

The flights will appeal to people for whom time is not critical and who aren't making onward connections.

But any new competition is good - it will be interesting to see how they perform in the medium term.

But people do need to examine onward travel from the airports to their destination and also the extra costs for checked baggage and food.

robut

If I've spent 6 hours cooped up in a plane, I wont want to be spending another 2 hours on a bus.
You could argue the same on the other end here in Ireland if you have to get a bus from Shannon / Dublin to Cork / Kerry / Waterford etc after coming from the US :D

Spare same thought for all the peeps in Cork City who at the moment have to go to Dublin airport to get most connections out of Ireland to Europe or US and have to do so via a 2, sometimes 3 hour drive up the motorway OR resort to the Airbus on Patricks Quay in Cork city travelling to Dublin. No Cork / Dublin connector flights.

The ah shur its only 2 hrs up the road crew sorted that. Thats fine to say, coming from someone in Dublin who doesnt have that drive / bus at both ends, especially at 2am in the Morning or similar ..

Has to be said :D

statsman

You could argue the same on the other end here in Ireland if you have to get a bus from Shannon / Dublin to Cork / Kerry / Waterford etc after coming from the US :D

Spare same thought for all the peeps in Cork City who at the moment have to go to Dublin airport to get most connections out of Ireland to Europe or US and have to do so via a 2, sometimes 3 hour drive up the motorway OR resort to the Airbus on Patricks Quay in Cork city. No Cork / Dublin connector flights.

The ah shur its only 2 hrs up the road crew sorted that. Thats fine to say, coming from someone in Dublin who doesnt have that drive / bus at both ends, especially at 2am in the Morning or similar ..

Cork need the flights, but to a decent destination. Shannon and Dublin really don't. I fly to the States a couple of times a year for work, and there's no way I'll be using these, as the idea is fro me to be in the NY or Boston office for afternoon meetings, fresh enough to be able to speak.

'orebel

Getting into NYC form JFK is bad enough, from Stewart it's just a joke.
Skiing holidays in Hunter or Catamount?

Summer holidays in Cape Cod or Nantucket?

Last edited:

bokuden

Cork need the flights, but to a decent destination. Shannon and Dublin really don't. I fly to the States a couple of times a year for work, and there's no way I'll be using these, as the idea is fro me to be in the NY or Boston office for afternoon meetings, fresh enough to be able to speak.
Yanks can fly into an airport that can pre clear them for the uk and the eu, and then onto virtually any place in Europe for budget prices. They'll be able to get anywhere in europe for 200 euro return. That's mad stuff.

DaveM

If the flights aren't needed there won't be demand and the service won't last. These guys are trying to create demand with low fares and they may very well succeed.

'orebel

statsman

Yanks can fly into an airport that can pre clear them for the uk and the eu, and then onto virtually any place in Europe for budget prices. They'll be able to get anywhere in europe for 200 euro return. That's mad stuff.
If the flights aren't needed there won't be demand and the service won't last. These guys are trying to create demand with low fares and they may very well succeed.
The price will atract a certain amount of business, but growing US insularity and Brexit may combine to make things a bit less attractive. And the stress placed on onward capacity from Shannon and Cork will push prices right up if they do take off. There are very limited numbers of destinations from Cork and Shannon, and no more slots available into Heathrow, Amsterdam, etc.

SEAMAI

Spare same thought for all the peeps in Cork City who at the moment have to go to Dublin airport to get most connections out of Ireland to Europe or US and have to do so via a 2, sometimes 3 hour drive up the motorway OR resort to the Airbus on Patricks Quay in Cork city. No Cork / Dublin connector flights.

I live in Cork city and I'm one of those people who uses that blue bus to get to D.A. regularly, it's far from ideal. I was more than a little irate the other day when I read that there are considerations about a third terminal in Dublin, I'd much rather see a wider range of flights out of regional airports rather than Dublin sucking everything up. It would be great to have more direct flights out of Cork, however, my issue with Norwegian is less about the distances they are from Boston & NY and more about onward connections. I have in laws in southern Florida. What ever way I go, there are two flights involved, the last few times I flew from Shannon via Boston (Logan) which worked out pretty ok. Neither Providence or Stewart are likely to make getting to Florida an attractive option. As I said earlier Cork -Reykjavik- Miami with checked through luggage looks a lot more attractive and maybe not a l whole lot more expensive when everything is added up.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies