• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be ...

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Trawling around earlier I accidentally stumbled across this historical gem on the ACCA Member's Profile...

Mr Patrick Neary, then Financial Regulator in Ireland.

'What was your first job?
In 1971 I joined the Central Bank as an executive officer in the currency department. This job taught me that there is no quick fix to complex solutions.

Why did you choose accountancy as a career?
Accountancy represents the highest standards of professional acumen. As a regulator, understanding the principles of good accounting is a cornerstone of the job. ACCA membership has given me the toolkit to understand a wide range of financial activities.

What do you do in your spare time?
I like a regular game of golf with friends in my local golf club here in Dublin and to keep fit through occasional cycling.

What advice would you give to students wanting to rise to the top?
Give yourself time to develop fully at each stage in your career and work hard along the way. '

and the absolute classic quote...

"As a regulator, understanding the principles of good accounting is a cornerstone of the job"

there really should be a prize for unearthing such prehistoric gems..
Member profile – Patrick Neary

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Interestingly I never saw any mention of Pat being a qualified accountant in any of the coverage around him ten/twelve years ago. Far as I am aware he spent a year at UCD studying Greek and Latin.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Probably wanted a job as Martin Mansaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrghhhhh's interpreter.

Hillmanhunter1

Interestingly I never saw any mention of Pat being a qualified accountant in any of the coverage around him ten/twelve years ago. Far as I am aware he spent a year at UCD studying Greek and Latin.
Both are true AFAIK

He did study classics, for a while at least, but he is also a qualified accountant.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Just shows you the breathtaking levels of bolloxology and distraction available to these people.

"As a regulator, understanding the principles of good accounting is a cornerstone of the job" (Pat Neary, former Financial Non-Regulator).

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
'Good man yerself, Willy'. Great piece of accountancy in that.