• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Not such a "wee country" today...

Schomberg

Trooping the colours!

Well done boys...

LeDroit

True enough lil bro. Congrats from your three big brothers, Leinster, Munster and Connaught.

Cabbage/Turnip

Please anyone with national thoughts not get provoked by this he is clearly trying to incite people.. just say well done which they deserve and let this thread fall off quickly and not give schomberg the attention he wants

Iarmhi Gael

In Fairness Rory & Graeme are not courting controversary. They both are Northern Ireland citizens and this is the only flag they could be seen with.

know the lads very well and both are very non - political and I'm sure would be saddened to see their sport or themselves linked to any side of a political divide.

Well done to the pair of them.

Oldira1

Well done to all Three Irishmen on the team and to the English,Spanish,German,Swedish and Italian players too.

Luigi Vampa

Its is if you see it that way....

Many don't - These 2 wouldn't
I would prefer they represented 100% of people in the six counties, not 50 %
They knew exactly what they were doing holding that now defunct flag. Hence the OP's delighted post.

yellowfish

congratulations to all the European team and especially congrats to those with whom i have the very loosest affiliation of either their being From Britain or Ireland.
However it has to be said that Golf is the most utterly tedious sport known to man or monkey and quite frankly i would rather watch a troll NI thread staring the op and rusted.
That being said, at least the golfers accomplish something, at the end they always manage to hide that little ball down the hole. Good luck to the op doing the same, it may give him a more mature view on life.

johntrenchard

fcks sake - they're "ulster" lads and proud of their background.

sure beats us being bent over and rammed in the a55 by Lenihan and Anglo. to be honest , i'm jealous of them.

good luck to them!

jackbetal

Great result yesterday for Europe and great to see our own Irish lads at the forefront once again in this tournament. What a great history we have in it.

Master Debater

And good luck to Rory as he represents his beloved Team GB in the London Olympics...NOT

willoughby

Dissident Republicans use the tricolour in much the same way as loyalists use the former flag of N.Ireland, but that doesn't mean everyone who waves the tricolour is being a sectarian bigot.

They have just as much right to celebrate their own identity as I have to celebrate mine, I thought we'd moved on from that sort of begrudgery after Good Friday.
Exactly, Fair Play to Rory, Garaham and Padraig on being part of another historic win. Well done lads.

Scipio

Fair play to the two lads (I bet Rory's happy he didn't have to face Tiger due to his ill-timed comments about him last week), Graeme was also pictured posing with an Irish tricolour, I wonder if Schomberg will be as quick to post that up? petunia

Given that they're both apparently Northern Irish Unionists, I don't see why this would bother anyone though.

I would say if you showed the majority of people in mainland Britian that flag they would have trouble to identify it.
Of course they would. The confusion is understandable when you have the likes of Northern Irish soccer fans chanting "you're just a small part of England" at Scottish soccer fans, all the while flying faux-English flags and singing God Save the Queen. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szr87qVGz7c&feature=related"]YouTube - scotland v northern ireland[/ame]

Verhofstadt

Website
So the flag used at the Commonwealth Games represents loyalist paramilitaries...?

Riiiiiiiight...
Any Northern Irish competitors in pretty much any international sporting events.. whether it be golf, snooker, soccer..

It's the defacto flag of Northern Ireland.. I'd love to see a new flag but this is the last flag of Northern Ireland.. would the moaners here prefer they waved a Union Jack?

Well done to the Ulstermen, as an Irishman I'm proud of them.. 100%

Last edited:

Chrisco

Does that mean you will start pronouncing their names correctly? :)

McDowell sounds like 'Mcdole' and McIlroy has the emphasis on 'roy'.

Scipio

It's the defacto flag of Northern Ireland.. I love to see a new flag but this is the last flag of Northern Ireland.. would the moaners here prefer they waved a Union Jack?
Personally? Without a shadow of a doubt.

But it is their flag, their identity, and their right to fly it. Anyone who would seek to forbid them that is venturing down a dangerous road indeed.

Ditto.

Schomberg

Graeme was also pictured posing with an Irish tricolour, I wonder if Schomberg will be as quick to post that up?
Didn't come across that one mate ;) but old Graeme is a slick pragmatist when it comes to the whole thing. Sometimes it sounds like he has a speech impediment 'Irish...Northern Irish fans...". A great sportsman no doubt, but a top class business mind too. Maybe politics after the golfing career? :)

Popular Threads

Most Replies