• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Not wanting your child brainwashed is supposedly elitist, according to Cllr Frank Durcan

ruserious

Mayo politician objects to

Bizarre stuff from the Mayo Cllr.

He is objecting to the building of an Educate Together school in Mayo on the basis that it is elitist.

I would argue that expecting a child to have a Baptism certificate to get a place in a school is even more elitist, and discriminatory.

GDPR

Mayo politician objects to

Bizarre stuff from the Mayo Cllr.

He is objecting to the building of an Educate Together school in Mayo on the basis that it is elitist.

I would argue that expecting a child to have a Baptism certificate to get a place in a school is even more elitist, and discriminatory.
Couldn't agree that they are elitist in practice, in their own heads probably, but not in any practical way.

If he went for generally a pain in the arse, I'm with him there, but he probably can't object to An Bord Pleanála on that basis.

Fractional Reserve

Durcan is a shyte stirrer always has been , but he is correct in saying all schools already educate together, plus marsh house would be another traffic jam in the making .

stakerwallace

He makes a sweeping assertion which I presume he wishes to apply to all ET schools. Has he visited all, has he evidence to support his assertions or is he just blowing on some conservative embers in the hope of a few votes?

stakerwallace

They may not be elitist but by god some of the parents are fierce smug :lol:
I had many the smug parent to deal with in various RC schools during my teaching days.

Fractional Reserve

He makes a sweeping assertion which I presume he wishes to apply to all ET schools. Has he visited all, has he evidence to support his assertions or is he just blowing on some conservative embers in the hope of a few votes?
they are after closing down a school 4 miles away could they not use that .

benroe

This is a local "Christian" yokel garnering support amongst his shrinking cult after it "divested" a building that was unfit for purpose, typical ignorance from a rural nobody going nowhere.

talkingshop

He is probably thinking that the school should be the new Community National School model apparently favoured by the government - run by the VEC effectively, which would still have faith formation classes for RCC kids, but other kids would get some other class I think while that is going on. Don't know if it could work - hard to see if you could have a class for Muslim kids, and a class for kids of atheist parents etc all running at the same time. Apparently there are about 8 of them already. I suppose the idea is that all the kids of the community are educated together, and the school caters for kids of all faiths and none. Sounds good if you could make it work, but could be practical difficulties.

ruserious

Maybe the car park couldn't handle the 4x4's?
And there we have it. The arrogant and ignorant belief among Xtians that non believers are materialistic snobs. Your day has come.

GDPR

And there we have it. The arrogant and ignorant belief among Xtians that non believers are materialistic snobs. Your day has come.
Nothing at all on the "arrogant and ignorant belief" among activist non believers that all who find them generally objectionable must themselves be believers.
:D

ruserious

Nothing at all on the "arrogant and ignorant belief" among activist non believers that all who find them generally objectionable must themselves be believers.
:D
You may have a point if I've never followed your postings in the past on such issues. :cool:

bob3344

Where did all the parents who are so concerned about their kids being brainwashed go to school I wonder ?

stakerwallace

they are after closing down a school 4 miles away could they not use that .

It's the sweeping nature of his assertion which bothers me. I have been in loads of ET schools and saw no general air of elitism. Most are run with the principles of inclusion , democracy, community engagement, respect and fairness to the fore.

benroe

Where did all the parents who are so concerned about their kids being brainwashed go to school I wonder ?
We were taught in schools run by the same geriatric perverts, its not as if our parents had a choice either.

Felixness

He's probably the type of politician who has spent a lot of time at the funerals of people he's never met. The sooner all religion is eradicated from schools the better and I mean all religions in all schools. Religion should be taught outside of school hours and I'm seeing some of the happy clappy ''Christian'' churches getting involved in kids sports locally, not a good idea. If they want to take part in events that's fine, so long as it's not publicised as a religious group thing.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies