Notes from the DOF's Briefs

Outlander

Noonan: Adjustment will be over €7.5bn - RT News

Deputy Burton said following her morning briefing that the figures presented were 'very challenging'.
Fine Gael Finance Spokesman Michael Noonan has said the adjustment required in the Government's four year plan will be 'significantly higher' than the €7.5bn figure previously mentioned.
Labour: Dept books reveal 'very challenging' figures | BreakingNews.ie

Officials at the Department told Labour's Joan Burton that they are concerned about lower than expected income tax returns for the months ahead.

I don't suppose anyone will be surprised when they find out that the holes in the DOF's briefs are beyond darning.

nonpartyboy

When do the citizens get told the numbers I wonder !. Great little country.

PrinceMax

It's a big cut to make, but they'd want to get the specific cuts right. Me thinks they'll leave public sectors be, and cut those on welfare, and impose taxes on low earners, to pay for the public sector. That will backfire. People won't stick around Ireland, earning peanuts to pay for a public sector elite.

ChickenBiryani

I assume he is referring to the productivity and work practice improvements (that 6 months after the agreement we have seen surprisingly little detail of) that supposedly save us billions.

Liam Doran was speaking about the Nurses proposals the other day, the only specific example of which he would give were nurses doing cannulation and being allowed to prescribe all purpose antibiotics. When pressed for precisely how much this would save, he was rather vague. But don't worry, I swear our bond yields fell as the markets rejoiced that on a going forward basis we will sort out our problems by changing how we do cannulation in hospitals.

I knew this crisis was all about cannulation, and nothing to do with a ridiculous property bubble!!

slumdog1971

It's a big cut to make, but they'd want to get the specific cuts right. Me thinks they'll leave public sectors be, and cut those on welfare, and impose taxes on low earners, to pay for the public sector. That will backfire. People won't stick around Ireland, earning peanuts to pay for a public sector elite.

They'll probably leave the ps alone this year alright. I suppose they have taken two huge pay cuts last year so in order to be fair the Gov will not touch the ps directly again this year.

I'd imagine that there wil be cuts to the well paid ps workers over the next two years. Consultants, professors, Secretary Generals etc will see their pay being cut.

It is increasingly difficult to cut any more pay from a nurse or a garda or a clerical officer. Their pay will be cut by focussing on their allowances.

cozzy121

When do the citizens get told the numbers I wonder !. Great little country.
Now, Now. A common citizen like you wouldn't have the constitution and mental fortitude to handle the vast sums and complex civil service bullsh*tting that this meeting would be dealing with.
Just run along now and pay you’re taxes or emigrate if you have to, and let you’re betters – those in the political classes – deal with the mess, they themselves created.

PrinceMax

It is increasingly difficult to cut any more pay from a nurse or a garda or a clerical officer. Their pay will be cut by focussing on their allowances.
That's the problem. That seems to be increasingly difficult, but at the same time they find it relatively easy to cut the dole, and cut those who are worst off. If any tax is introduced on minimum wage earners, I won't be sticking around. Public sector workers need to realise that in order for their wages to be maintained, that other people have to suffer, and ultimately that will be people on the dole and low earners.

slumdog1971

That's the problem. That seems to be increasingly difficult, but at the same time they find it relatively easy to cut the dole, and cut those who are worst off. If any tax is introduced on minimum wage earners, I won't be sticking around. Public sector workers need to realise that in order for their wages to be maintained, that other people have to suffer, and ultimately that will be people on the dole and low earners.
They found it relatively easy to cut pay last year.

Why do you think that ps workers aren't aware of the choices that are going to be made?

Are you saying that ps workers should do all they can and sell themselves into penury to pay for FF's mistakes and everyone else can escape scot free.?

You can cut ps pay to nothing and you will still have to raise taxes. That is the fact of this disaster

PrinceMax

They found it relatively easy to cut pay last year.

Why do you think that ps workers aren't aware of the choices that are going to be made?

Are you saying that ps workers should do all they can and sell themselves into penury to pay for FF's mistakes and everyone else can escape scot free.?

You can cut ps pay to nothing and you will still have to raise taxes. That is the fact of this disaster
they cut pay slightly and then penned a deal not to cut it anymore, despite the govt saying that massive cuts have to be made between now and 2014. Why didn't the make similar guarantees to those who find themselves on the dole, when they suffered a similar cut?

I'm not suggesting cutting public sector pay to nothing, but if they cut the dole by 5% next time out, then public sector pay should be cut by the same amount. What happened to sharing the pain? But no, they'll cut the dole, and introduce a tax on low earners, and leave the PS. It will backfire though.

hammer

Eliminate overtime in the PS for starters and cut subsistence / mileage rates by a further 30%. Leave those earning less than €35,000 alone.

5% cut between €35,000 and €70,000
10% over €70,000

No increments for 4 years.

Fairly simple.........................like me

Mikey1

Apologies for being completely thick but if we're spending €20bn more than we're taking in currently, how does a €7.5bn adjustment over the next few years fix that? I don't understand.:confused:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies