Notre Dame Cathedral on fire

raetsel

It's just a building.. important thing is seems no lives lost or injuries.
It's good that no casualties have been reported (yet) but if you don't understand the value of heritage or why people would be sad to see something as iconic as Notre Dame, then you don't understand very much.:confused:

Beachcomber

It's good that no casualties have been reported (yet) but if you don't understand the value of heritage or why people would be sad to see something as iconic as Notre Dame, then you don't understand very much.:confused:

It's sad, but not the end of the world.

Dame_Enda

The Paris Prosecutor has opened an investigation into the fire.

raetsel

Do you think that an exact replica of the pre-fire cathedral should be built?
The Germans have done it in a few places I know. Nothing nearly as spectacular as Notre Dame, just replicas of some town squares etc. destroyed during the war, but there was some discussion about rebuilding the Kaiser's Palace in Berlin in the last few years. It was still actually capable of being restored after WW2 but the communists finished it off in the 1950s. It was still waste ground 14 years ago and you could look down into the former cellars and see the tiled kitchens etc. but last time I was in Berlin that was all gone too.

raetsel

It's sad, but not the end of the world.
No of course not, but the loss (mostly) of a world famous building which had its first foundations laid nearly 9 centuries ago is still a tragedy. I've visited it a few times. Visiting buildings like that is always an awesome experience, at least for me, and I'm sure other people who value past human achievements.

rainmaker

Administrator
You know, I haven’t posted on this site for a long time, spending my time on another politics forum instead, and coming back here for a moment and seeing the above types of posts reaffirms that I am glad to stay away.
I have to disagree. I believe in robustly challenging such views rather than preventing them being aired - (within reason of course).

Personally I would very quickly find discussing issues & events with only those of a similar outlook tedious.

Beachcomber

I wasn't sad when I saw it.

NiallGK

But why dream of building a replica of the cathedral? Why not build a modern cathedral on the site?

New buildings were built on the sites of old destroyed buildings over the centuries.
I concur. I reckon the whole edifice should be turned into a commercial shopping mall to compete with nearby Les Halles. What say you?...

Philistine.

Strawberry

Horrible thing to happen, but thankfully it looks like the entire building won't be destroyed. Apparently most of the artwork inside has been saved, so there is that too.

firefly123

They've evacuated l'Hôtel-Dieu, the hospital, or some of it anyway.

No idea, maybe Firefly would know more than me about that?
Radiated heat if buildings are close enough. Potentially burning debris.

I don't think it's an issue here as the cathedral is isolated.

firefly123

Notre Dame took about 200 years to build by 100s of real, old school craftsmen. To think we can emulate anything like it with current techniques is just wishful thinking.
We will do it and it will take a tenth of the time.
Simply put we have technology they couldn't dream off. The building has been measured and photos taken of every inch. We can manufacture and design in days what would take teams years.

My thing is it's all a facsimile. It's the history that makes it special. It's almost a millennium of human endevour.
It's heavy with time.
The only thing that does that is more time.

petaljam

Radiated heat if buildings are close enough. Potentially burning debris.

I don't think it's an issue here as the cathedral is isolated.
In that case two or maybe three sides are ok, but the north side is a narrow street, la Rue du Cloître Notre Dame, with cafes and shops, and behind that is really built up, narrow streets and old buildings. If that side caught it could have been disastrous. But they're saying now that the structure will almost certainly be saved and that they think they have the fire pretty much under control now.

firefly123

Some blonde hag on Sky press review complaining about Fire fighters not doing enough.
She's put firmly back in her box by host.

raetsel

Macron is there, as is the mayor of the 4th arrondssement. Hidalgo may be too far away to attend, but the fire brigade are worried about possible casualties so probably not needed.

And there are helicopters for sure, my daughter says she can see them.
Hildago, according to her Wiki bio, has a degree in Social Work studies, and worked as a civil servant prior to entering politics.
So, the Dame's aghast reaction, that she went AWOL when she should have been rushing to the scene to oversee the work of the Fire Chief is hysterical right-wing nonsense anyway. What Mayor in his or her right mind would be so arrogantly stupid as to tell a highly qualified expert what to do in a crisis like this? Politicians direct policy, and nothing more. Policy is irrelevant in cases like this.
Wtf is wrong with people when they cannot see something as simple as this?

Pabilito

We spent the past few day in Valencia visiting historical and modern sites.. then travel to Barcelona tomorrow till the weekend to visit more historical and cultural sites .. I spent half an hour this afternoon marvelling at the huge old wooden gates of Los Torres de Serranos and the precise stone carving that accomodated the long gone Port Cullis..

However, I still place a far higher value on human life and realise that material things come and go and nothing is forever.. a catheredral can be rebuilt or replaced just as has happened throughout history.. Notre Dame was just a building and thankfully nobody lost their life tonight but I imagine many lost their lives during it's construction.

petaljam

One fireman seriously injured, it seems.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies