• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Notre Dame Cathedral on fire

caledhel

Les pompiers faire honneur à France.

raetsel

We spent the past few day in Valencia visiting historical and modern sites.. then travel to Barcelona tomorrow till the weekend to visit more historical and cultural sites .. I spent half an hour this afternoon marvelling at the huge old wooden gates of Los Torres de Serranos and the precise stone carving that accomodated the long gone Port Cullis..

However, I still place a far higher value on human life and realise that material things come and go and nothing is forever.. a catheredral can be rebuilt or replaced just as has happened throughout history.. Notre Dame was just a building and thankfully nobody lost their life tonight but I imagine many lost their lives during it's construction.
Any human being would. We can all acknowledge that Grenfell Tower was an infinitely more awful tragedy.
But it is apples and oranges.

petaljam

We will do it and it will take a tenth of the time.
Simply put we have technology they couldn't dream off. The building has been measured and photos taken of every inch. We can manufacture and design in days what would take teams years.

My thing is it's all a facsimile. It's the history that makes it special. It's almost a millennium of human endevour.
It's heavy with time.
The only thing that does that is more time.
That's true but these buildings are not static in time either. For instance, the spire, which everyone was so shocked to see fall this evening, was a much later addition which many people at the time hated.
There's almost nothing in the edifice that was there when it was first built. Is there really a qualitative difference in the work that will (hopefully) be done in the next whatever years and the fact of replacing it bit by bit over two or three centuries as and when bits fall off it?

Pabilito

Sorry to hear that. Judging by news reports, firemen were facing big risks which is why I included (yet) in the earlier post.
Do you consider it wise that firemen should risk their lives to save a building which poses no risk to human life?

petaljam

Sorry to hear that. Judging by news reports, firemen were facing big risks which is why I included (yet) in the earlier post.
Going by some of the footage from inside the cathedral it seemed unimaginable to be inside - yet a team of them were, trying to save the structure by complementing the work being done from the outside.

petaljam

Do you consider it wise that firemen should risk their lives to save a building which poses no risk to human life?
As I said, there's one long side which borders a narrow, built up street, and it's all very densely populated after that.

Choosing to let it burn itself out would not have been an option.

raetsel

There's almost nothing in the edifice that was there when it was first built. Is there really a qualitative difference in the work that will (hopefully) be done in the next whatever years and the fact of replacing it bit by bit over two or three centuries as and when bits fall off it?
I think most people realise that of course. I don't think it matters in the slightest that it looks different now from what it may have looked like on completion. It's the continuity that's important, and the achievement and skills of mostly forgotten architects and tradesmen from centuries ago that you cannot help but venerate.

petaljam

I think most people realise that of course. I don't think it matters in the slightest that it looks different now from what it may have looked like on completion. It's the continuity that's important, and the achievement and skills of mostly forgotten architects and tradesmen from centuries ago that you cannot help but venerate.
Yes but I think the fire is - or will be - part of its history. When Victor Hugo wrote "Notre Dame", the place was falling apart. The repairs since then have been as much part of its history as the cathedral at Rheims being destroyed in the war and then rebuilt.

(If the structure could not be saved, that would perhaps be different though, IMO.)

Pabilito

As I said, there's one long side which borders a narrow, built up street, and it's all very densely populated after that.

Choosing to let it burn itself out would not have been an option.
I'm sure anybody living nearby would have been evacuated hours ago.

petaljam

I'm sure anybody living nearby would have been evacuated.
They have been. Letting it burn itself out would put a far greater number at risk, almost inevitably leading to casualties. It could become uncontrollable. That's why there was felt to be a need for fire brigades in the first place.

raetsel

Going by some of the footage from inside the cathedral it seemed unimaginable to be inside - yet a team of them were, trying to save the structure by complementing the work being done from the outside.
That takes a lot of courage.

Hey, Petaljam, you have adaughter in France just now. Did she grow up in France.
I had a close friend, originally from Donegal, who died a number of years ago, whose sister moved to France after university and married a local French guy and stayed. I met their daughter at my friend's wake, and despite appearing very French in a cultural sense, she spoke English with an Irish accent. Is that the same in your family?

raetsel

I'm sure anybody living nearby would have been evacuated hours ago.
You're labouring this. :)

Nobody wants to see firemen die. But they are paid to take calculated risks. As are soldiers. And policemen. And construction workers. And miners. Etc. ad nauseum.

SweenyTodd

Why was a post about a spate of church burnings in France deemed off topic?

Hillmanhunter1

First light on the first day of the reconstruction.

Francois Pinault has stepped up and pledged 100 million Euros towards the costs

He hopes that the money will help church officials “completely rebuild Notre Dame.”

French president Emmanuel Macron had vowed to do so earlier in the day.

“We will rebuild Notre Dame because it is what the French expect,” Macron said, calling it “the epicenter” of their lives.

“It is what our history deserves,” he added. “It is, in the deepest sense, our destiny.”

French billionaire pledges more than $100M to help rebuild Notre Dame cathedral

Pyewacket

The Afd in Germany is already sending out malevolent tweets that "We are under attack" and "Muslims should be ashamed!"

You know you are too familiar with Social Media crap when your first thought on hearing the news is "Wonder how long it will take before the far right launch a conspiracy theory on t'interwebs?"

roc_

You're labouring this. :)

Nobody wants to see firemen die. But they are paid to take calculated risks. As are soldiers. And policemen. And construction workers. And miners. Etc. ad nauseum.
It’s about much more than just being paid for it.

“... The Soldier’s profession is to defend it.
The Pastor’s to teach it.
The Physician’s to keep it in health.
The Lawyer’s to enforce justice in it.
The Merchant’s to provide for it.
And the duty of all these men is, on due occasion, to die for it.
“On due occasion,” namely: –
The Soldier, rather than leave his post in battle.
The Physician, rather than leave his post in plague.
The Pastor, rather than teach Falsehood.
The Lawyer, rather than countenance Injustice...”
(Ruskin)