Now Dempsey sparks public fury over perilous footpaths

Aindriu

PUBLIC fury about the perilous state of footpaths grew today when Transport Minister Noel Dempsey couldn’t promise they’d be made safe.
Mr Dempsey failed to assure the public the government would respond quickly to the dangerous condition of most city pavements.
He failed to raise the possibility of raising contingents of young unemployed men to clear footpaths or bring in reserve or fulltime soldiers to do it.
Hospitals have been inundated with fracture injuries because of the icy underfoot conditions — many of life altering falls, said a consultant.
Manpower
Minister Dempsey then stated “nobody ever said” all minor roads or housing estates would be cleared. He claimed it was “physically impossible” to treat every area with grit, saying “we don’t have the manpower”.
His comments come as it emerged that a minor road leading to his Co. Meath home had been gritted on Thursday.
Surprise, surprise! :mad:

Full article is here.

eyeSpy

who cares what this looser has to say, especially now.

antiestablishmentarian

Are you suggesting they should form labour battalions of the unemployed to clear footpaths? That seems to be the implication of your OP. As for getting his own road gritted we shouldn't be surprised at this, typical contempt from an FF minister.

eyelight

His comments come as it emerged that a minor road leading to his Co. Meath home had been gritted on Thursday.
Surprise ,surprise.

I remember hearing how a small road in north County Dublin was resurfaced a few years ago, but only up as far as the local councillor's house. Then it continued on it it's usual potholed state.

myhonorisloyalty666

Are you suggesting they should form labour battalions of the unemployed to clear footpaths? That seems to be the implication of your OP. As for getting his own road gritted we shouldn't be surprised at this, typical contempt from an FF minister.
You're a worker aren't you? Get off your laptop and go shovel snow.

Munion

Myself and another 6 men from my road got together on Sunday and cleared our street. Now there's been more snowfall since but it has been relatively easy to sweep away.

Communities need to learn to stand on their own feet and not expect the council/government to do everything for them.

Harmonica

Still very little evidence of any paths being cleared in Dublin City centre. IMO shops and businesses should be expected to clear their areas and the council the rest of the city centre. Footpaths should be gritted like other countries - a little bit of grit would provide a lot of extra grip. Paths might get away with one or two gritting sessions through this cold spell.

Have to wonder why we pay taxes.

SeanieFitz

Communities need to learn to stand on their own feet and not expect the council/government to do everything for them.
+1
did the same in my area, grit provided by LA

Ganyer

Far be from it me to defend that mouth breather Dempsey, but it is a tad unrealistic for people to expect that all footpaths on secondary roads and estates would be cleared. But then, this sense of entitlement has been engendered in our collective psyche by FF. People should clear the stretch of footpath immediately in front of their house (or that of their neighbour if they are elderly or infirm) – it doesn’t take too long

Aindriu

I agree however there is no legal requirement for any shop/factory/business/householder to clear the path outside their property. There is in Germany and there should be here.

My beef is with Dempsey getting the boreen to his mansion gritted whilst saying that minor roads cannot be gritted!

edor

What would have happened in the utopian USSR?

Holy Cow

He pulled the same stunt earlier in the year. Before he went to Malta his road was gritted so he could make the airport. Not 1 other road in Trim was touched.

Baron von Biffo

Still very little evidence of any paths being cleared in Dublin City centre. IMO shops and businesses should be expected to clear their areas and the council the rest of the city centre. Footpaths should be gritted like other countries - a little bit of grit would provide a lot of extra grip. Paths might get away with one or two gritting sessions through this cold spell.

Are you trying to bring on heart attacks in the IBEC/ISME/Indo sponger class?

B

boo-boo

remember another case

Surprise ,surprise.

I remember hearing how a small road in north County Dublin was resurfaced a few years ago, but only up as far as the local councillor's house. Then it continued on it it's usual potholed state.
Like our former taoiseach who had a preference for high end shirts who got the road resurfaced all the way to his house....and then for good measure they extended the re-surfacing to his son's house....in case any of the big wigs from Ireland's EU presidency came and gave home visits!

Gettin the unemployed to go out on mass to shuffle and clear the streets - and if somebody slipped, sustained a fracture in the course of clearing these streets and roads....physical injury and no proper training or risk assessments....now it doesnt take a genius to figure out what Ireland would be facing!

Aindriu

To pay the bloated salaries of our present and former politicians for starters. Also to pay for the roads leading to the MoT's mansion to be gritted :mad:

scallioneater

There are plenty of idle scumbags collecting their dole.
Give them a shovel and get them out to clear the snow.
As one of those idle scumbags collecting their dole I would love to help remove ice. I spent 2 hours yesterday beating concert like ice from in front of my apartment building. I borrowed the shovel from the business next door.

I'm sure if someone got a few resources together and actually ASKED the idle scumbags if they would help lots would. But the normal legal crap would make this unlikely. what happens if someone got hurt while doing this.

The reality is that EVERYONE should be clearing snow and ice from in fount of there property.

Problem is that people in this country are way to passive, have no ideals or little concept of community. what does it say about our society that school children have to have private insurance because schools have been sued so often.

PS, myhonorisloyalty666 calling people "scumbags" is not the way to go about improving the situation.

ellie08

He pulled the same stunt earlier in the year. Before he went to Malta his road was gritted so he could make the airport. Not 1 other road in Trim was touched.
I cannot stand that little oompa loompa.

New Threads

Most Replies