Now for the Seanad election

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Now that sen. Pearse Doherty has been elected to the Dail, a vacancy has arisen in the Seanad.
They can't just long finger it, after all there was the court ruling. I can't see Sinn Fein winning it.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
No. For by-elections it's the Oireachtas only.
The Greens owe FF, after they gave the Greens a 3rd seat to Niall O'Brolchainn last year.

neiphin

The Greens owe FF, after they gave the Greens a 3rd seat to Niall O'Brolchainn last year.
was that not the one the woman who went for europe, and lost he deposit
held before she resigned ?

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
There's the small matter of the Climate Change Bill, though. Not to mention the unenacted ban on corporate donations.

Or are the above not legitimate factors?

neiphin

was it ff"s for the giving ?
does the party that held the seat not just co opt someone

Dillon Country

Now that sen. Pearse Doherty has been elected to the Dail, a vacancy has arisen in the Seanad.
They can't just long finger it, after all there was the court ruling. I can't see Sinn Fein winning it.
As I understand it, voting in the Seanad Bye Election is confined to members of the Dail and the Seanad. From past experience, FF & Greens have an agreement that they share vacancies between them and as FF got the last vacant seat (Sen Paschal Mooney) it would be the turn of the Greens to take the Doherty seat ! What will FF do this time?!!!

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
It was sort of FF's for the giving.
Only the TDs and Senators vote. FF and the Greens had a majority. So in practice they could hand it to who they wanted.

jayblue

Fianna Fail will find someone to give the seanad seat to, no way this will be a green nominee, no doubt if they want to run some celebrity somewhere in the country they might give them a sho in this time

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I can see the arrangement breaking down.
Or maybe it will be dragged out to the end of the Dail, so it never happens.

gijoe

was it ff"s for the giving ?
does the party that held the seat not just co opt someone
There is no by-election in the Seanad if the vacancy is created by someone who was a Taoiseach's nominee, the Taoiseach just nominates a replacement. If the vacancy is either a panel of Universities seat there is a by-election. In the case of a panel seat, as Doherty's was, the electorate is only Oireachtas members.

dicta

Fianna Fail will elect some eejit cllr to an elevated position in the misguided hopes that he/she will be elected to Dail Eireann

Neutral

It would be an FF appointment effectively, since they still form a majority of Oireachtas members.

But am I the only one who thinks it might backfire to appoint someone with an election so close by?

The public will hardly welcome the pay bill for an extra Senator!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies