Now is the time to Get Reform Commitments

bactrian

a. It looks like we will have a General Election in the New Year.

b. A recurring theme on P.ie is that Politicians are not participating in the pain that we all are suffering.They have huge salaries and an overly generous and under regulated expenses regime.

Let's call on all* the present TDs to commit publicly to a reduction in salaries(say 20%) and the implementation of a properly regulated expenses system. I suggest that we each contact, by email or post , all our Constituency representatives seeking these commitments . I suggest that we do that now and then when we are being canvassed at our doors seek confirmation of that commitment , or let the canvasser know that the failure of the candidate to make the commitment is one of the reasons that you will not vote for them

*Some Politicians take only a part of their salaries and then pass the balance to their Political Party. It is still the same amount of money coming out of the public purse

Sync

Uh. It's actually the worst time to seek reform committments. What are you going to do if your Lab/FG candidate just tell you to do one? Vote FF? Greens? SF have already committed to tying the salary to a working wage I believe, so they're going further than you.

Lab and FG could announce they're going to replace the tricolour with the union jack and they'd still make up the next govt.

bactrian

Uh. It's actually the worst time to seek reform committments. What are you going to do if your Lab/FG candidate just tell you to do one? Vote FF? Greens? SF have already committed to tying the salary to a working wage I believe, so they're going further than you.
Nationally FG and Labour are vying to lead the next Government. Locally FG and Labour will be vying for the same seats. Add to that, there will (probably) be a large number of viable Independent Candidates. In summary there will be competition.

Where there is competition there will be a price war.

Ask for a commitment on reform , what have you to loose. You might even win!

New Threads

Most Replies