NRA to blame for Longford accident

HanleyS

I'm loath to comment on this but it is really grating on me that everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room. If they don't want to talk about the true nature of the accident then they should keep quiet.

Everyone is blaming the NRA for the death's of the two girls in Longford earlier this week. There has been no mention of the fact that 6 people were travelling in a car with five seatbelts and legally allowed to carry five people.

It's insensitive to the mother's of the children concerned to speak about this but that is no excuse for blaming the NRA. Either shut up or talk about the real reason for their deaths. Out of over 500,000 penalty point offences prosecuted last year less than 5,000 were for failing to properly restrain a child.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 32560.html

Aindriu

I see dozens of cars each day with unrestrained children in them. I have come to the conclusion that some parents here are highly negligent in their duty of care to their offspring.

locke

Is it fair to say that the NRA were responsible for the accident, but the adults in the car were responsible for the fact it resulted in fatalities?

I understand the point you're making and I also understand that people should drive in a way that is safe for the road conditions, but it is true that our roads are very badly engineered.

HanleyS

There were approximately 28,000 accidents in 2005.
Approximately 6,000 resulted in injury.
360 resulted in death.

Accidents happen. Not wearing a seatbelt greatly increases the chances of injuries and deaths in those accidents.

riven

I always find it disconcerting to hear of 'accidents' even though the crash involved illegal (eg speeding/drunk) driving. They are not accidents, just plain bad driving.

The NRA cannot be held responsible for bad driving per say (they can by not making training better). If the child was not restrained, it is not their fault but
1 the fault of the person who caused the accident (90%)
2 the fault of the person who did not insure that in case of an accident, every protective measure was taken to reduce injury (10%)

ps percentages are my opinion of level of 'blame'

HanleyS

If everyone in that car was properly restrained I don't believe there would have been any fatalities. That's what I am taking issue with.

Inishowen

While its true that in the majority of cases wearing a seatbelt will lower your risk of injury or death it is not always the case. A neighbour of mine was a back seat passenger in a car when it was hit side-on at a junction. He was thrown to the other side of the car by the impact. The firemen said to him that if he'd been wearing a belt in all likelyhood he'd be dead or at least paralysed.
Most accidents are caused by bad driving - our system of teaching and testing driving is a joke.

The OD

I dont know the full details and I am appalled at the death of the children, but how on earth does someone crash on an empty road?

Two reasons I can think of:

1. Crap driving.
2. Crap roads.

Irrespective, I would criminally charge the driver if there were children unrestrained in the car.

bagel

a coroner's court or district court will in due course apportion blame;
in the meantime, the driver is innocent until proven guilty;
now lets have some compassion please.

riven

The OD said:
I dont know the full details and I am appalled at the death of the children, but how on earth does someone crash on an empty road?

1. Crap driving.
2. Crap roads.

Irrespective, I would criminally charge the driver if there were children unrestrained in the car.
Crap roads can be discounted for tw reasons
1 RSA figures for 2005 show that only five% of deaths on our roads had bad roads as a cause
2 If the road is that bad, slow down

bagel

riven said:
The OD said:

1. Crap driving.
2. Crap roads.

1 RSA figures for 2005 show that only five% of deaths on our roads had bad roads as a cause
of course the rsa would say that;
drivers who don't enjoy the luxury of motorways or dual carriageways know better;

bagel said:
Why so the f***withs who were in the car that allowed the kids to be carried un restrained could do so again ?

bagel

odie1kanobe said:
bagel said:
Why so the f***withs who were in the car that allowed the kids to be carried un restrained could do so again ?

odie1kanobel Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:50 am
Subject: Stroke Fahey wins a retrial
Everyone is entitled to a fair trial and at this present moment in time he is innocent as he didn't get a fair trial.

you speak out in support of a crooked politician but yet you condemn a grieving mother;
what about her rights to due process?

have a care!

Cato

bagel said:
I happen to have personal knowledge of the driver. At the time of the crash that 'lady' has actually been barred from driving by the district court. Since it was first taken off her, she has been up in court for driving while barred.

She pleaded for mercy from the court, as she had four small children, and the judge fined her €200. I hope that that the judge is happy with her decision today.

bagel

Cato said:
bagel said:
removed comment
if what you've posted is correct, then i wonder what the judge could have done to deter the lady from driving while banned;
unfortunately, theres a whole lot of precedence in this area of law where judges are pussy-footing around;

Cato

Mods: Apologies for that. I know the father's family. All very annoyed over what occurred, but I can understand why you deleted it. (Don't Get Dave Sued etc.)

HanleyS

bagel said:
It would be nice to see the same level of compassion shown to the NRA, the county engineer and the chap that drove the digger that made the mound. They may not have lost a child but they don't deserve to be blamed in the wrong either.

riven

bagel said:
riven said:
The OD said:

1. Crap driving.
2. Crap roads.

of course the rsa would say that;
drivers who don't enjoy the luxury of motorways or dual carriageways know better;
I would like to know what roads you drive on cause I do not have motorways either but have the ability to drive safely on back roads when I have to drive

HanleyS

riven said:
I would like to know what roads you drive on cause I do not have motorways either but have the ability to drive safely on back roads when I have to drive
The point is that there are many many contributory factors to accidents. They should be getting addressed in proportion to their impact. A number of accidents have happened in recent times because of poorly signed or unsigned road layout changes and road works. This does need to be addressed.

This accident probably wouldn't have happened if there were signage. However, the children would have had a much much greater chance of survival if every person in that car had their own seat belt. Too many people are not belting up and have inadequate child seats and boosters.

Observer

HanleyS said:
I'm loath to comment on this but it is really grating on me that everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room. If they don't want to talk about the true nature of the accident then they should keep quiet.

Everyone is blaming the NRA for the death's of the two girls in Longford earlier this week. There has been no mention of the fact that 6 people were travelling in a car with five seatbelts and legally allowed to carry five people.

It's insensitive to the mother's of the children concerned to speak about this but that is no excuse for blaming the NRA. Either shut up or talk about the real reason for their deaths. Out of over 500,000 penalty point offences prosecuted last year less than 5,000 were for failing to properly restrain a child.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 32560.html
Knowing the road fairly well, I'd have said that there's a clear directional sign telling you to turn left for Dublin/Sligo as you're coming downhill from the town - at the traffic lights at the corner of the old Dublin road with the Ballymahon road just before Kane's, which then leads you back onto the N4 after about a hundred yards.

The old road is kept open largely for the C&D and Paul&Vincent plants, and there's a one-way slip road from the N4 just before where the crash happened.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies