• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

NRA to run bypass 500 metres from Newgrange

TommyO'Brien

The NRA has announced plans to run the proposed Slane bypass 500 metres from the world heritage site, Newgrange.

A bypass around Slane is desparately needed, but to even countenance a bypass so close to Newgrange beggars belief.

Coming just after the proposal to run the Dublin orbital route close to Tara, which already has the N3 through its valley, is it possible for the NRA to show any more contempt for Ireland's archaeology and environment?

It makes my blood boil.

RTÉ News: Slane bypass would run close to Newgrange

SideysGhost

Official Ireland is largely comprised of barbarian mucksavage peasants and spivs. Nothing really surprises me any more.

Pauli

I heard it described as being "500 metres from a bufferzone of 2.5 miles from a national heritage site" which would make it something different than half a kilometre from Newgrange.

The Field Marshal

The NRA has announced plans to run the proposed Slane bypass 500 metres from the world heritage site, Newgrange.

A bypass around Slane is desparately needed, but to even countenance a bypass so close to Newgrange beggars belief.

Coming just after the proposal to run the Dublin orbital route close to Tara, which already has the N3 through its valley, is it possible for the NRA to show any more contempt for Ireland's archaeology and environment?

It makes my blood boil.

RTÉ News: Slane bypass would run close to Newgrange
This is the best news all year.

Now motorists will be able to have a full frontal view of the beautifully reconstructed 20th century facade of the Newgrange Megalith

Earnest

I heard it described as being "500 metres from a bufferzone of 2.5 miles from a national heritage site" which would make it something different than half a kilometre from Newgrange.
You heard correctly. That is precisely what the news report that the OP quotes says. He didn't bother to read beyond the first paragraph. The sixth paragraph says:

The proposed bypass will be 500m away from the buffer-zone around the World Heritage Site at Brú na Bóinne

B

boo-boo

I wonder could we re-establish functional use for newgrange cemetery? I know of a couple of useless politicians and NRA officials who we could cremate on pires and make token ash deposits in the chamber.

charley

don't worry, we can't afford to fill a pothole never mind a bypass for slane

Fraxinus_

It's an abomination this is even being considered. 500 metres, sure that's nothing. Once again they've made it evident that those in power have zero respect for our heritage. Is it any wonder our culture is being easily gobbled up by the American way.
Our public represenatives are doing a terrible job on this front but the question has to be asked, what type of civil servants have we got coming up with these ideas? There needs to be a radical clear out of these disgraces to the nation.

D

Deleted member 17573

+1 just for getting this fact right. Not that it will stop those who would prefer to believe that the road has been designed specifically to obscure the winter solstice:lol:

The Field Marshal

It's an abomination this is even being considered. 500 metres, sure that's nothing. Once again they've made it evident that those in power have zero respect for our heritage. Is it any wonder our culture is being easily gobbled up by the American way.
Our public represenatives are doing a terrible job on this front but the question has to be asked, what type of civil servants have we got coming up with these ideas? There needs to be a radical clear out of these disgraces to the nation.
What are you talking about.?

Heritage?

Dont you realize that the entire front facade of the Newgrange monument is built of 20th century materials and the entire appearance of it is based on the notional fancies of a few devout archaeologists.

This is nothing but exaggerated respect for the past.

The great thing now is huge numbers of motorists will be able to admire this 2oth century
archaeological reconstruction at close quarters free of charge.

readytogo

Architectural modernism has destroyed Dublin, and much of the rest of the country. We need to utterly outlaw modernist architecture in this country and demolish all modernist buildings, and replace where possible whatever has been destroyed. I was in the Dublinia viking exhibition beside Christchurch today. Part of the exhibition contained a room with newspaper and film reports on the destruction of Woodquay and its replacement with that disgusting modernist civic offices building. I actually had to leave the exhibit, it made me so angry. I've never seen Tara before, and I'm now slightly apprehensive about visiting it. In 30 years down the line, Irish people will be wondering how their forebears were so philistine.

yehbut_nobut

For Clarity, have a look here: Archaeological Ensemble of the Bend of the Boyne - UNESCO World Heritage Centre

From themaps provided, Newgrange isn't the only site of value within the buffer zone - some monoments are right against the boundary. So the road could be a mere 500m those sites, even if not Newgrange itself.

For what its worth, the tomb at Knowth appears to be less than 500m within the buffer zone, while the eastern edge of the zone is bounded by the M1 motorway!

Details maps here http://whc.unesco.org/download.cfm?id_document=101332

http://whc.unesco.org/download.cfm?id_document=101221

Last edited:

Murra

don't worry, we can't afford to fill a pothole never mind a bypass for slane
It won't be us building though, will it? It will be a European Consortium, and it will be tolled so that they can make a fortune out of us.

maxthedog

Architectural modernism has destroyed Dublin, and much of the rest of the country. We need to utterly outlaw modernist architecture in this country and demolish all modernist buildings, and replace where possible whatever has been destroyed. I was in the Dublinia viking exhibition beside Christchurch today. Part of the exhibition contained a room with newspaper and film reports on the destruction of Woodquay and its replacement with that disgusting modernist civic offices building. I actually had to leave the exhibit, it made me so angry. I've never seen Tara before, and I'm now slightly apprehensive about visiting it. In 30 years down the line, Irish people will be wondering how their forebears were so philistine.
So do you want us all to live in Viking huts.

D

Deleted member 17573

For Clarity, have a look here: Archaeological Ensemble of the Bend of the Boyne - UNESCO World Heritage Centre

From themaps provided, Newgrange isn't the only site of value within the buffer zone - some monoments are right against the boundary. So the road could be a mere 500m those sites, even if not Newgrange itself.

For what its worth, the tomb at Knowth appears to be less than 500m within the buffer zone, while the eastern edge of the zone is bounded by the M1 motorway!

Details maps here http://whc.unesco.org/download.cfm?id_document=101332

http://whc.unesco.org/download.cfm?id_document=101221

So what? Are you seriously saying that no road can be constructed within 500 metres of any historical site? That proviso would pretty well leave the country without a road:(

wombat

This is great news, far more convenient than Westport, Christy Moore will probably have a concert, something to look forward to next summer, better still, I don't have to use the road, so I can watch you all on tele (between World Cup matches)

yehbut_nobut

So what? Are you seriously saying that no road can be constructed within 500 metres of any historical site? That proviso would pretty well leave the country without a road:(

If you read my post in the context of the one I was replying to, its should be clearer. I'm still trying to figure out why the hell I typed monoment, though.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies