NUI / Trinity Panel

kerrynorth

Banned
galwaygirl said:
Have any parties or individuals declared yet for the NUI or Trinity panel?
KingKane has declared for the NUI panel!

Conor

Ivana Bacik'll be running for one of the Trinity seats. Not sure if she'll be running as a Labour candidate though.

Can anyone tell us about the party political sympathies of any of the candidates standing as "independents"?

For instance, if Ivana Bacik was to stand as an independent it would still be reasonable to assume that her politics would remain broadly those of the liberal-leftish wing of Labour. Martin Hogan's site says that he is running with the support of the Greens, although it isn't clear if he will formally be a Green Party candidate.

CrockerJarman

scrawledincrayon said:
Can anyone tell us about the party political sympathies of any of the candidates standing as "independents"?
I'd say Daithi MacCarthaigh will be targetting the FG supporting section of the NUI constituency, what with his recent attempts to picket FG HQ and heckle and shout down Enda Kenny......or maybe not.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
scrawledincrayon said:

For instance, if Ivana Bacik was to stand as an independent it would still be reasonable to assume that her politics would remain broadly those of the liberal-leftish wing of Labour. Martin Hogan's site says that he is running with the support of the Greens, although it isn't clear if he will formally be a Green Party candidate.
Seán O'Connor - TCD is a grandson of Seán Lemass (doesn't mention that this in turn makes him a nephew of Charles J.) so I would expect a FF inclination.

I also more and more perplexed about Martin Hogan's involvement with the Green party as I'm sure that the Green party suggested in their submission for Seanad reform that the University seats be abolished completely but Martin claims he has the support of GraduateEquality i.e. Seán O'Connor! So, which side if he on the Green's or Seán O'Connor's?

green

Website
www.younggreens.ie
KingKane said:
I also more and more perplexed about Martin Hogan's involvement with the Green party as I'm sure that the Green party suggested in their submission for Seanad reform that the University seats be abolished completely but Martin claims he has the support of GraduateEquality i.e. Seán O'Connor! So, which side if he on the Green's or Seán O'Connor's?
This ought to assuage your concerns, King. Ideally, the Seanad should be fully-publicly elected; in the short term, or if a referendum to this effect were defeated (for example), we favour implementing the people's will as expressed in 1979.

AndrewM

Website
www.greenparty.ie
KingKane said:
The Greens also want refrom of local government and the Dáil, but we run candidates for them all the same. We'll get nowhere by boycotting the Seanad,it wont bring us one step closer to acheiving our goal. If Martin Hogan were to be elected,as a member of the body he would be in a greater position to critique its operation.
Graduate equality are right that the electoral register for NUI needs to be expanded, so are we when we call for University seats to be replaced. We're both right, just some are more right then others.

Smashey

Website
www.freewebs.com
Sean O'Connor was/is a member of Fianna Fail & was previously a member of their National Exec or Exec Council whatever they call it

Dee Four

There was some confusion some time ago as to whether Senator Norris would be standing again. If anyone has a definative answer I'd be much obliged.

Jones

So Far there seems to be 13 candidates declared

Paddy Healy-TUI
Bernadine o Sullivan_Asti
Valerie Bresnihan
Ronan Mullen
Brendan Price
Daithi MacCartaigh
Shane Brodbin
Noella Broderick
Dan O'Sullivan
Martin Hogan

Presumably
Joe O toole
Fergal Quinn
Brendan Ryan

Any this is before general election candidates who fail through their hat in the ring.

Any More?

Dunny

Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
Smashey said:
Sean O'Connor was/is a member of Fianna Fail & was previously a member of their National Exec or Exec Council whatever they call it
Tugtar "Árd Comhairle Fhianna Fáil" ar an gcoiste sin or in the English language, its the Fianna Fáil National Executive

glenpol

Any idea who will get the seats?

Thaks for the list but any ideas who will get it.

Ronan Mullen doing a lot of work among FF friends!

green

Website
www.younggreens.ie
According to today's Times, Mark Garavan of Shell to Sea has declared for the NUI panel. :( I thought he was one of us, now he could end up costing Martin Hogan votes.

cain1798

green said:
According to today's Times, Mark Garavan of Shell to Sea has declared for the NUI panel. :( I thought he was one of us, now he could end up costing Martin Hogan votes.
'one of us'? He's not a Green party member if that's what you mean, and never has been.

On the decision to run for the NUI Panel, I think it is a bit confusing. Hogan is a good candidate, has been campaigning for some time and is personally involved in the Shell to Sea campaign, which the Green party has been giving support to. I'm think Garavan's decision is a personal one and not one taken by the Shell to Sea Campaign, though I would expect the campaign to back him.

A friend of mine ran an NUI Seanad campaign for someone in the past and they're not fun, and they're not easy. It will be extremely difficult for Garavan to take a seat and he might undermine Martin Hogan's efforts who personally I didn't think would do it, but is a long way ahead at this stage of the game and would be a useful chap to have wandering around Leinster House.

AndrewM

Website
www.greenparty.ie
That's disappointing about Garavan. Hogan has been active on S2S and 'Save Tara' and has been working on the Seanad election for almost a year. I believe Garavan may have been a GP member years ago when S2S got started and he quit so the campaign could attract broad support.
I notice on another thread that he will be canvassing the Greens for support. The party has been very vocal in publicising Hogan's campaign within the party, so there wont be much there for Garavan.