"Number 11. Isn't that your ticket Fr. Mcguire?" Bankers get idea from Fr Ted?

Orbit v2

Charlie Weston: Scandal echoes Fr Ted raffle scam - but no one is laughing - Independent.ie
Strange one in the Indo today. If today were April 1st, you wouldn't believe it. The story is compared with a humorous skit in Father Ted, albeit one that isn't funny in real life. I'm not a lawyer or accountant but this looks a lot more than "not funny" - more like a mother lode of white collar crime and tax evasion. It's extraordinary how the story is presented as one about refunds to customers and bailouts for the institution itself, but not a sausage about criminal investigations.

wexfordman

Facepalm!!
I have a book I got about twenty years ago called "this great little nation, the A to Z of irish political scandals"

At the time, I was living and working abroad, through forced emigration, and the book made my blood boil.

It's due an update I think, but don't think my health could stand reading the revised version.

Mad as Fish

Sounds only too likely to me and will help explain why anger over the more visible pubkic corruption is not as intense as it should be, too many others are working their own little schemes as has been mentioned before. Our local credit union used to run a car lottery but nothing was ever heard of who won them, we are all entitled to tick the no publicity box, but it's not a big town and word travels, or didn't in this case.

And then there is the money that falls off the table when it is being counted at charity events......

hollandia

Sounds only too likely to me and will help explain why anger over the more visible pubkic corruption is not as intense as it should be, too many others are working their own little schemes as has been mentioned before. Our local credit union used to run a car lottery but nothing was ever heard of who won them, we are all entitled to tick the no publicity box, but it's not a big town and word travels, or didn't in this case.

And then there is the money that falls off the table when it is being counted at charity events......
Interesting that the board of directors page for 2014-15 is "being updated". I've had some unpleasant dealings with the good residents of this town previously, and was looking to indulge in some shadenfreude.

Lúidín

Charity companies should all make a donation from their incomes to charity.

Mad as Fish

Slight note to the above, the winners of the cars are actually known so I'll redact that part.

captain obvious

Charlie Weston: Scandal echoes Fr Ted raffle scam - but no one is laughing - Independent.ie
Strange one in the Indo today. If today were April 1st, you wouldn't believe it. The story is compared with a humorous skit in Father Ted, albeit one that isn't funny in real life. I'm not a lawyer or accountant but this looks a lot more than "not funny" - more like a mother lode of white collar crime and tax evasion. It's extraordinary how the story is presented as one about refunds to customers and bailouts for the institution itself, but not a sausage about criminal investigations.
Holy moley, the car seems to be the least of their issues. If the draw is random, anybody could win it which is why people operating raffles usually bar their employees from taking part. But the double book-keeping and cash dealings off official records is a potential criminal conspiracy.

loner

Another scandal--is there no end to the skullduggery that goes on in this island of saints and robbers?

ergo2

Most organisations running lotteries, draws etc hold the draw in public place. Credit unions publish the list of winners in their office.

If as a CU member you think there is anything untoward about a draw or indeed any part of the CU operation you can write to the CU Supervisory Committee and/or raise it the AGM

Dasayev

The best way to disincentivise white collar crime is to increase the level of risk massively.

If someone is weighing up the risk v reward in situations like this, then they are likely to think that there is little to no risk involved.

However, if they were aware that a guaranteed prison sentence awaited them, of 10 to 20 years in prison, then I'm sure that they would have second thoughts before proceeding with such schemes.

Mad as Fish

Most organisations running lotteries, draws etc hold the draw in public place. Credit unions publish the list of winners in their office.

If as a CU member you think there is anything untoward about a draw or indeed any part of the CU operation you can write to the CU Supervisory Committee and/or raise it the AGM
I checked with the family and it turns out that the winners are indeed known so have already withdrawn that observation. But it's good to know that there is a procedure to be followed by CU's and thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Charlie is from that part of the world so he will know the inside story................... maybe not able to publish because of libel laws but he will know it.

Vega1447

Charlie is from that part of the world so he will know the inside story................... maybe not able to publish because of libel laws but he will know it.
Libel laws me arse. The article doesn't even raise the possibility of the Gardaí investigating the case. Libel laws wouldn't have prevented him exploring that avenue.

Libel laws me arse. The article doesn't even raise the possibility of the Gardaí investigating the case. Libel laws wouldn't have prevented him exploring that avenue.
Some times stories need to run their course first before all actions can happen.

Vega1447

Some times stories need to run their course first before all actions can happen.
Actions like saying "an Garda Siochána have not conducted and are not conducting an investigation into the matter"?

Orbit v2

Any draw not done in public should be assumed to be rigged. I was talking to someone just there about a regular draw, and the person said they assumed that it must be above board, because it appeared to be done electronically. They were a bit gobsmacked when I explained, doing a draw electronically makes it a lot less transparent and more open to abuse than doing it in the open.

ergo2

Weston has established a reputation as a careful and diligent journalist.

A journalist has to deal in facts, and comply with the law of the land, especially regarding defamation

His grandfather was involved in successful action in North Co Dublin during the 1916 Rebellion and also during the War of Independence. No lack of courage in that family

Last edited:

ergo2

Any draw not done in public should be assumed to be rigged. I was talking to someone just there about a regular draw, and the person said they assumed that it must be above board, because it appeared to be done electronically. They were a bit gobsmacked when I explained, doing a draw electronically makes it a lot less transparent and more open to abuse than doing it in the open.
Agree. Just as in Electronic Voting, people like to use paper, and to see votes physically counted out in public view

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies