• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Number of visits by ERII to Germany 4, Ireland 0

Magror14

Just came a cross a report that Elizabeth II has visited Germany 4 times during her reign. Imagine that. How many times has she visited Ireland? 0 times. Not that I particularly care whether she does or not but really given the rivalries that have existed between the UK and Germany the contrast is pretty clear.

The question is does the British establishment actually recognise this state?

drbob1972

perhaps its because she's never been formally invited

MookieBaylock

Well she is 3/4's German after all - I am not aware of any Irish blood ;)

The last time she was in Berlin, about 6 years ago, she was parading down Unter Den Linden when a load of builders unfurled a huge banner which read.

WELCOME HOME, QE2 ;)

I thought that was funny

shutuplaura

What a stupid reason to be upset. She has never visited becasue the Irish government clearly doesn't want to have to deal with such a potentially divisive and controversial issue. This is fine by me by the way.

MookieBaylock

Just came a cross a report that Elizabeth II has visited Germany 4 times during her reign. Imagine that. How many times has she visited Ireland? 0 times. Not that I particularly care whether she does or not but really given the rivalries that have existed between the UK and Germany the contrast is pretty clear.

Oh and another thing.. the Queen is said to be hugely anti-Irish and very rascist about it..

I think it was actually Richard Harris who revealed this tit-bit years ago.. he said that Princess Margaret (with whom he was involved) had told him.

Harris also alleged it's why Peter O'Toole has never been offered a Knighthood, as he's perceived as not being a proper Brit, despite growing there and living there almost all his life. An Irish Catholic, who is proud of it - that's apparently the problem.

drbob1972

Doubt that
i believe that etiquette in these matters is that its agreed between both governments and then the hosting government invites her (via Downing Street), the Queen doesn't just announce she'd like to have a state visit in country X without the approvals of both governments first, something that usually takes considerable time and planning.

Historically she's not been invited (probably by agreement) due to the history of the two countries, the kerfuffle in the north and the fact that it would cause a lot of hassle and considerable cost here in the republic to ensure it was safe and successful, after all it would be the mother of all magnets for 1/2 the nut jobs in the country.....

Pauli

Oh and another thing.. the Queen is said to be hugely anti-Irish and very rascist about it..

I think it was actually Richard Harris who revealed this tit-bit years ago.. he said that Princess Margaret (with whom he was involved) had told him.

Harris also alleged it's why Peter O'Toole has never been offered a Knighthood, as he's perceived as not being a proper Brit, despite growing there and living there almost all his life. An Irish Catholic, who is proud of it - that's apparently the problem.
Besides, the Brits have a certain inferiority complex regarding the Germans. It's kind of funny.

Last match at the old Wembley. Germany beat England
First game at the new Wembley. Germany beat England.

Wir haben die Inselaffen geschlagen, Mookie!

MookieBaylock

Besides, the Brits have a certain inferiority complex regarding the Germans. It's kind of funny.

Last match at the old Wembley. Germany beat England
First game at the new Wembley. Germany beat England.

Wir haben die Inselaffen geschlagen, Mookie!
Ha, Pauli - they call us Island Monkey's too, unfortunately :(

I do agree on that - I suppose it stems from the fact that Germany is by far a larger and more powerful country. Also, the fact that the Brits know in their hearts that without American support they would have lost both World World Wars.

Magror14

This is not an anti-British or anti ERII thread.

Ireland would not invite publically if it was not assured beforehand of acceptance. Equally ERII (ie the British government) would not publically suggest such a visit if it was not assured of agreement from Ireland. There would be a lot of background activity beforehand.

What got me thinking of this was seeing a picture of a very young ERII on a much earlier state visit to Germany (ie. not long after World War II). It really got me thinking of precisely what was the relationship between the Republic and the UK from a British point of view.

Maybe its that we are too inconsequential and troublesome to be worth a visit. Maybe there is residual picque at our break not only from the UK but also from the Commonwealth.

Anyway I'm sure its ground that is well trodden black.

MookieBaylock

This is not an anti-British or anti ERII thread.

Ireland would not invite publically if it was not assured beforehand of acceptance. Equally ERII (ie the British government) would not publically suggest such a visit if it was not assured of agreement from Ireland. There would be a lot of background activity beforehand.

What got me thinking of this was seeing a picture of a very young ERII on a much earlier state visit to Germany (ie. not long after World War II). It really got me thinking of precisely what was the relationship between the Republic and the UK from a British point of view.

Maybe its that we are too inconsequential and troublesome to be worth a visit. Maybe there is residual picque at our break not only from the UK but also from the Commonwealth.

Anyway I'm sure its ground that is well trodden black.
I would actually venture it's more to do with security to be honest.

It only takes one Lee Harvey Oswald..

wysiwyg

These threads pop up on a regular basis.. why, who knows or who cares..

Are people honestly, really that bothered whether the Queen of England visits this State..

I know that personally, I couldn't care less

bobbysands81

A racist, inbred, outdated and sectarian institution not coming to the Republic of Ireland is cause for celebration in my eyes. We have enough unionist neanderthals on this island without adding more.

Also, for the record "Ireland" includes the 6 counties so I think you'll find she has been here.

Magror14

We have had a number of visits by George Bush II so that puts the security argument to bed, IMHO.

Wysi, you cannot quantify the value of a visit. Maybe it is worth more, maybe less. A British monarch is supposed to be the embodiement of the British State. I just think it is a bit odd that she has visited 4 times a country which the UK has fought two armageddon type wars in the last century and has not visited us even once.

wysiwyg

We have had a number of visits by George Bush II so that puts the security argument to bed, IMHO.

Wysi, you cannot quantify the value of a visit. Maybe it is worth more, maybe less. A British monarch is supposed to be the embodiement of the British State. I just think it is a bit odd that she has visited 4 times a country which the UK has fought two armageddon type wars in the last century and has not visited us even once.
Maybe they just like seeing her and enjoy all the pomp, while we don't

Some people here would argue that it would "prove our maturity" as a nation. I personally consider that argument to be a load of bol***cks to be frank.

We don't need to have the Queen of England parade down O Connell Street to prove we are now "good little Irishmen and women"... and I find it sad for anyone who thinks we do.

Secondly, whether Irish people in the main consider the 6 counties to be a very important issue to them in their day to day lives, the majority of Irish people would still vote for Irish unity in the morning if such unity were to be achieved peacefully

A visit by the Queen of England would be a reminder to the Irish people that the British state still occupys a part of this island and would cause tensions

Let it go Magror

Pauli

Ha, Pauli - they call us Island Monkey's too, unfortunately :(

I do agree on that - I suppose it stems from the fact that Germany is by far a larger and more powerful country. Also, the fact that the Brits know in their hearts that without American support they would have lost both World World Wars.
And Norman Lamont's humiliation in September 1992 at the hands of the Bundesbank. That was fun. I know about the Inselaffen jibe but most Germans use it on the Brits.

joel

Rubbish - she has visited Ireland, the bit she claims.

Catalpa

These threads pop up on a regular basis.. why, who knows or who cares..

Are people honestly, really that bothered whether the Queen of England visits this State..

I know that personally, I couldn't care less
Well I would care but for political reasons not personal ones.

She takes a lot of stick all right but at end of the day she is only human and has never 'blotted her copybook' in Public at any rate.

But a 'Royal Visit' with all the Trimmings - No Thanks!:?

Magror14

Rubbish - she has visited Ireland, the bit she claims.
Eh, does this tend to support the view that her not visiting us has nothing to do with security concerns and more to do with politics?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies