• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Numbers of Gardai could drop below 13,000 - Shatter

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Garda numbers could dip below 13,000 - Shatter - The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 28, 2012

Minister for Justice Alan Shatter has suggested the number of gardaí may fall below 13,000 and could not say when recruitment might begin again. [...]

However, with 13,440 members still in An Garda Síochána, the EU-IMF bailout target of 13,000 will be missed. Based on current rates of retirement, that target will not be met for almost a year
On average that's 1 Garda for every 353 people.

Do posters feel such numbers are acceptable/workable?

(whatever happened to protecting frontline servces btw?)

True Republican

there only needs to be about 10,000 gardai, it is overstaffed, perhaps if the government admitted that the war on drugs was unwinnable and legalised all recreational drugs then resources would be allocated towards combating other forms of crime.

truthisfree

That was never the priority.

The priority is to protect the pay of existing Guards.

Don't blame Shatter. Blame Croke Park.
The IMF were the ones who gave the "order" to reduce the numbers to 13,000, Croke Park has not a whole lot to do with it and Shatter is way behind on cutting back numbers.

It is a misleading headline, it should read Cut backs in Garda numbers lagging behind IMF policy

Old Mr Grouser

kellboy

That was never the priority.

The priority is to protect the pay of existing Guards.

Don't blame Shatter. Blame Croke Park.
by the rotation of patrol cars parked outside one harcourt street "venue" chatting to bouncers on any given night you'd almost be forgiven to think we had to many already

sorry i digress

much much better to pay a litany of quangos and the highest paid advisers in europe than protect frontline pay and numbers

not to worry by the rate people are leaving 13000 will be more than enough

Barnsleyfc

If anyone ever believed that we could slash this much off our budget and protect front-line services then they're unbelievably deluded.
A whole generation of people may never even get the chance to become Gardai and other public sector workers in Ireland as they'll be too old by the time recruitment re-opens.
Even if they do competition will be unbelievably fierce by the time recruitment re-commences.

potholedogger

Arm all Gardai, and there would be less need for Gardai to patrol in groups or pairs.

Make more use of sniffer dogs for drug detection using them on foot patrol.

Allow Gardai to work overtime to police road traffic offences, for a share of fines, but without pay.

Barnsleyfc

Arm all Gardai, and there would be less need for Gardai to patrol in groups or pairs.

Allow Gardai to work overtime to police road traffic offences, for a share of fines, but without pay.
Your first proposal is one that I totally agree with,in this day and age they have to be armed.At first glance the third one is a good idea but it could lead to more Garda corruption and over-enforcement of laws which could harm community relations.
Having sniffer dogs routinely going around with them would be better replaced by decriminalising the use of recreational drugs for personal use.

BlackLion

i would say ignore anything that comes from the government's lips until after the the budget is over. Theres misinformation and disinfotmation, deception and distraction coming from the government these days.

Barnsleyfc

Your first proposal is one that I totally agree with,in this day and age they have to be armed.At first glance the third one is a good idea but it could lead to more Garda corruption and over-enforcement of laws which could harm community relations.
Having sniffer dogs routinely going around with them would be better replaced by decriminalising the use of recreational drugs for personal use.

Old Mr Grouser

... perhaps if the government admitted that the war on drugs was unwinnable and legalised all recreational drugs then resources would be allocated towards combating other forms of crime.
Are you advocating this style of policing - The Bold Gendarmes - Josef Locke - YouTube ? :p

Anyhow that's how things will finish up if Gardai numbers keep dropping.

You could improve law-enforcement and still save money if the Army was made an all-reservist force except from one full-strength battalion of Military Police - which could then be used as Gendarmerie, employed as a 'Heavy Gang' in support of the Garda and the Prison Service.

potholedogger

Dou you want people using drugs?
Do you want people driving on bald tyres?
Do you want people breaking speed limits by more than 2 miles per hour plus 10% of the limit?
Do you want people drinking and driving?
Do you want people committing penalty point offences?
Do you want people driving uninsured?
Do you want people driving under the influence of drugs?

British police make great use of sniffer dogs. Enforce the laws we have! If laws are unjust repeal them! If laws have shortcomings then improve them!

Barnsleyfc

Dou you want people using drugs?
Do you want people driving on bald tyres?
Do you want people breaking speed limits by more than 2 miles per hour plus 10% of the limit?
Do you want people drinking and driving?
Do you want people committing penalty point offences?
Do you want people driving uninsured?
Do you want people driving under the influence of drugs?

British police make great use of sniffer dogs. Enforce the laws we have! If laws are unjust repeal them! If laws have shortcomings then improve them!
I'm completely against all of them(even drug use but I think legislation is the lesser of two evils)However I do think that providing incentives for Gardai to do their existing job leaves it too open for them to abuse their power(I'm not saying they all would ut lets not pretend that there isn't a corrupt element within the force.

kellboy

1. a single armed officer will not reduce patrol numbers, armed police in other jurisdictions patrol at least in pairs, it's common sense... think support and i don't know what about somebody being accidentally shot that needs the opinion of another officer

2. police/customs dogs are not cheap!! in australia training takes at least 18months intensive training from dogs bred for that purpose, the failure rate of dogs is almost 70%

3. is just MORONICALLY open to "soft hits" and corruption!! ya'd be best to hang around dublin city centre picking up students for drunk and disorderly than vigilantly patrolling potential trouble spots

give it up

potholedogger

I'm completely against all of them(even drug use but I think legislation is the lesser of two evils)However I do think that providing incentives for Gardai to do their existing job leaves it too open for them to abuse their power(I'm not saying they all would ut lets not pretend that there isn't a corrupt element within the force.
Either a car has tax and insurance or it does not!
Either a lab tests a sample and it passes or fails
A speed camera or radar device will record video evidence.

kellboy

Either a car has tax and insurance or it does not!
Either a lab tests a sample and it passes or fails
A speed camera or radar device will record video evidence.
we're already paying private companies for that

point one would seem to be getting lobbied into speedvan direction too

EUrJokingMeRight

Arming the Gardai is a terrible idea. There are plenty of armed gardai, we do not need all rank and file gardai having trigger fingers.

kellboy

Arming the Gardai is a terrible idea. There are plenty of armed gardai, we do not need all rank and file gardai having trigger fingers.
no point saying that to potholedogger's type tho, he kneejerk says it as if it's to save money:- as if guns and firearms training came free

the idea you can replace multiple officers with one armed officer is moronic lunacy... what if the individual officer becomes incapacitated! Free weapon to whoever is on scene

same with "sniffer" dogs.... let's run over to the snifferpuppy farm and buy 20

his fine profitsharing is priceless... send armed (his idea!) cops out for a cut of fines brought in... what possibly could go wrong with that!!

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies