Ó Caoláin statement welcoming Gerry Adam's decision to seek Louth nomination

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
You can feel the tension in this press release, Ó Caoláin's statement tonight welcoming Gerry Adam's imminent defacto deposing of Ó Caoláin in the Republic.

Ó Caoláin extends best wishes to Gerry Adams on decision to seek Louth nomination

Sinn Féin Dáil Group leader Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin commenting on the announcement by party President Gerry Adams that he intends to seek the nomination for the Louth constituency in the General Election said:

"I was involved in the discussion of this proposition and have every confidence that Sinn Féin can retain the Dáil seat in Louth, ensuring continuity of excellent representation for the people of that constituency.

"I want to wish Gerry all the best and to commit my full support for his candidacy if he is selected by the Louth Sinn Féin organisation at convention. I want to pay tribute to the outgoing TD for Louth Arthur Morgan. Arthur Morgan has served the people of County Louth superbly well over two Dáil terms. As spokesperson on economic affairs he helped to develop Sinn Féin policy in a manner that has had a really positive impact."

Tomas Mor

Wonder will O Caoláin be still leader if Adams is elected ?

picador

Really poor (and politically loaded) thread title. Ask people across the world to name an Irish politician and the most common answer would certainly be Gerry Adams.

asset test

Wonder will O Caoláin be still leader if Adams is elected ?
Does anyone really care anymore? Too many other things going on at the moment.

However, the thought of GA anywhere near our Dail, is not good for my blood pressure.

But what will be will be, we are where we are. Let them at it and knock themselves right out.

Trampas

Really poor (and politically loaded) thread title. Ask people across the world to name an Irish politician and the most common answer would certainly be Gerry Adams.

I would not accept that for one moment. With any luck the nauseating one will fall flat on his face.

culmore

Good Luck to Gerry, he is willing to stand before the people of louth and if they elect well and good he deserves his seat

Tomas Mor

DC shows his underlying contempt for northerners yet again!
You could hardly say that being elected to Westminster as the Rt. Hon Member for West Belfast was Irish Politics ?

picador

I would not accept that for one moment. With any luck the nauseating one will fall flat on his face.
Brian Cowen got a mention on the Jay Leno show. Mind you Leno had to tell the audience who he was and what he did for a living.

SinnShane

You can feel the tension in this press release, Ó Caoláin's statement tonight welcoming Gerry Adam's imminent defacto deposing of Ó Caoláin in the Republic.
I don't feel the tension. It's just a banal, run of the mill press release wishing him well etc. It's a box ticking exercise. Nothing to see here.

Trampas

Brian Cowen got a mention on the Jay Leno show. Mind you Leno had to tell the audience who he was and what he did for a living.

That same audience would also have to be told where Canada was.

picador

You could hardly say that being elected to Westminster as the Rt. Hon Member for West Belfast was Irish Politics ?
No more, no less than Dev being elected in East Clare was.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
DC shows his underlying contempt for northerners yet again!
Yeah, sure you'd never think someone with the surname Cochrane would have family in Belfast, would you!?

Title's been amended, it wasn't my intention to antagonize, there's other news going on that has me distracted.

Dr Pat

Originally Posted by David Cochrane

What tension, David or is it just wishful thinking on your part? By the way, I am no fan of Adams, soiled as he is but I do think that he is head and shoulders above the current crop of "leaders" in the Dail. He is also internationally recognised. What American politician would be able to name of the top of his/her head, for instance, the present leader of the Labour Party?

Lastly, why does this deserve a separate thread? Are you breaching your own rules here? There is already a thread on Adams declaring for a Dail seat.

picador

Yeah, sure you'd never think someone with the surname Cochrane would have family in Belfast, would you!?
Even less of an excuse for such a faux pas I would have thought.

Title's been amended, it wasn't my intention to antagonize, there's other news going on that has me distracted.
Fair enough so!

JoeHickey

Originally Posted by David Cochrane

What tension, David or is it just wishful thinking on your part? By the way, I am no fan of Adams, soiled as he is but I do think that he is head and shoulders above the current crop of "leaders" in the Dail. He is also internationally recognised. What American politician would be able to name of the top of his/her head, for instance, the present leader of the Labour Party?

Lastly, why does this deserve a separate thread? Are you breaching your own rules here? There is already a thread on Adams declaring for a Dail seat.
Agree completely, dave your bang out of order. Whats the story here? You seem to have tried to invent one.

making waves

I have been thinking about this today and I think it is necessary to view this as a sign of weakness on behalf of SF. If SF in Louth cannot find a candidate to replace Morgan and have a chance of winning the seat - then the national leadership must be worried about the impact they are making.

That or else there is a serious division between the northern and southern leaderships.

weepee

Its possibly a poor decision for the people of Louth. What they and every other constituency in the south require, are candidates with the ability to drag the country out of the financial quagmire, not simply more opposition to the FF gov.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies