O' Donovan To Take Seat Back in Cork South West

thetruthsback

Senator Denis O' Donovan lost his seat to fellow party member Christy O' Sullivan in the last General Election. While O' Sullivan has built up a strong party machine around him, with his son on the County Council and daughter on Clonakilty Town Council, can the Bantry based solicitor win back the seat. The last Red C Poll suggested in the constituency FF has enough support to hold a seat but Labour may, yet, spring a surprise .

asterix

Website's broken: it says OP was posted "4 Minutes Ago" when clearly that should read "40 Years Ago".

GalwayEagle

O' Sullivan is a parish pump who will quota squat until his son is ready to take over the reigns. FF at its very worst.

(O'Donovan is easily a more capable politician)

quitepossibly

Senator Denis O' Donovan lost his seat to fellow party member Christy O' Sullivan in the last General Election. While O' Sullivan has built up a strong party machine around him, with his son on the County Council and daughter on Clonakilty Town Council, can the Bantry based solicitor win back the seat. The last Red C Poll suggested in the constituency FF has enough support to hold a seat but Labour may, yet, spring a surprise .
Are FF going to stand two candidates? Splitting the vote could bring Labour into play in a big way.

quitepossibly

No, it 's an East/ West divide. it depends too what candidate Labour chose.
FF letting O'Sullivan canvase in the west of constituency in 2007 cost O'Donovan. O'Donovan wasnt granted the same privilige as he had to stay out of the east. Wonder what strategy will they go with this time.

locke

With both FG TDs standing down, I wouldn't rule it out.

hurricane

this clown used have adds in the southern star " berties boy" he wouldn't have to climb far up a tree to find his ancestors, a no-hoper

Boy M5

Can't we merge the 2 Cork South West threads.
I commented on Denis O'Donovan being a loss to West Cork & the country on it. He's way better than Sheehan, O'Keefe & O'Sullivan.

Boy M5

O' Sullivan is a parish pump who will quota squat until his son is ready to take over the reigns. FF at its very worst.

(O'Donovan is easily a more capable politician)
He's parish pump who's never drawn water. As I posted on the other CSW thread - there's bus shelters in Meath which have got more state funding than West Cork.

G

Gimpanzee

This is the same Denis O'Donavan who ran in 2002 with the slogan 'Back Bertie's Boy' on his posters and with pictures of himself and the great statesman all over the place? Might be worth his opponents while digging a few of them out and putting them up again

Boy M5

This is the same Denis O'Donavan who ran in 2002 with the slogan 'Back Bertie's Boy' on his posters and with pictures of himself and the great statesman all over the place? Might be worth his opponents while digging a few of them out and putting them up again

Its Donovan. Given Bertie's popularity at the time it seems a reasonable tactic, rather like your suggestion is for his opponents.

O'Donovan has far more gravitas and intellect than Ahern

Cork1234

Can't we merge the 2 Cork South West threads.
I commented on Denis O'Donovan being a loss to West Cork & the country on it. He's way better than Sheehan, O'Keefe & O'Sullivan.
Not better than O'Keeffe. He was a fine legislator. Take a look at kildare street.ie and look at how many human rights issues etc he took interest in. He was one of the hardest working legislators CSW has ever had.

Ted Maul

Back in 2002 O'Donovan election posters proclaimed "Put Bertie's boy in". If he's to run I doubt he dust down that snappy slogan again.

As for his capability, can't say I've noticed it. Standard FF calibre and all that that entails. O'Sullivan despite his many limitations would be more personable but ultimately it's tweedledum or tweedledee. Neither are what's needed.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies