• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Obama for life...Twenty-Second amendment to be scrapped ?? No limit to amount of presidential terms served?

EUrJokingMeRight

Obama for life...Twenty-Second amendment to be scrapped ?? No limit to amount of presidential terms served?

Another attempt at removing the Twenty-Second amendment!

H.J.Res. 15: Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment.

...removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.

113th Congress, 2013–2015. Text as of Jan 04, 2013 (Introduced).

HJ 15 IH

113th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. J. RES. 15

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

January 4, 2013

Mr. SERRANO introduced the following joint resolution; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

JOINT RESOLUTION

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hjres15/text

I cannot see it happening but that wont stop them trying!

Do you think this is a good idea? Would it remove short termism from political parties and politics in general?

LiberalFG

Twitter
@dmvmurphy
There's no way that'll get through.
But how did FDR get 4, I think successive, terms?
Was the 22nd amendment passed subsequent to that or something?
(Maybe I should do my own research)

ruserious

There's no way that'll get through.
But how did FDR get 4, I think successive, terms?
Was the 22nd amendment passed subsequent to that or something?
(Maybe I should do my own research)
It was tradition but not law before him and law after him. The max a president can serve presently is 10 years. 2 from is he took over from another President.

Ulster-Lad

It was tradition but not law before him and law after him. The max a president can serve presently is 10 years. 2 from is he took over from another President.
The US Presidents serve 4 year terms.

Analyzer

Ophuck.

Now they will certainly go bankrupt before the decade is out.

Bill

don't really see this being proposed to the states

Rocky

Yep. You're not wrong. 10 years is the max any President can serve.
So what happens if a Vice-President takes over one year into the former Preisdent's term? Is he prevented for running for President a second time or has to resign with one year left off his third?

RahenyFG

So what happens if a Vice-President takes over one year into the former Preisdent's term? Is he prevented for running for President a second time or has to resign with one year left off his third?
The US Supreme Court would force him to stand down in that case I imagine. Then I guess that president's vice president would take over. As ruserious said, it's a two term limit of 8 years or 10 if a president serves 2 years of another president's term due to their resignation or death.

It should be noted that a similar proposal was mooted during Reagan's Presidency.

He backed it with the caveat that a sitting President shouldn't benefit personally from signing such a bill into law. I'd doubt that the principle will have changed. The spirit of such proposed amendments has been that any Pres signing it wouldn't serve beyond two terms.

Bill

you can't run if you have held the office of president, or acted as president for more than 2 years of another persons term

RahenyFG

I think the two term limit is just about right. It keeps politics and the office itself fresh. Perhaps this country could benefit from a two term limit for the office of Taoiseach? But with the odd occasional stoppages you can get in Dáil terms due to loss of support for the government or one party pulling out of a coalition might make this a bit messy to implement unlike the US system where the person is president for 4 years regardless.

RahenyFG

It should be noted that a similar proposal was mooted during Reagan's Presidency.

He backed it with the caveat that a sitting President shouldn't benefit personally from signing such a bill into law. I'd doubt that the principle will have changed. The spirit of such proposed amendments has been that any Pres signing it wouldn't serve beyond two terms.
Imagine if that attempt succeeded and Reagan ran for a third term. He would have been in his 80s in office if he succeeded and was already going a bit senile towards the end of his second term and he left office at the ripe age of 77.

ruserious

You can only serve two full terms at max and two years at max extra to that if you take over from another president.

PeacefulViking

When the 22nd amendment was adopted it did not apply to the sitting president. (Truman.)

Popular Threads

Most Replies