Obamacare Repeal/Replace thread

Allegro

Not sure what you mean. Should I pretend to think it wasn't obvious to a disinterested outsider that Trump was a liar and a conman? Suck in my teeth and feign shock - who could possibly have guessed? :rolleyes:

Not like nobody said it or anything so let's not pretend now - those people who went for him anyway knew he was a scumbag and they didn't really care.

And it wasn't just against Clinton, I'd also say that concerning the primaries when Trump got the place as GOP candidate over the other contenders. The others weren't claiming they'd leave ACA untouched either, and yet Trump won there before he was up against Clinton.

If you vote for an amoral crook knowing what he is, that says something about you, IMO.
The reason decent Americans voted for Trump is because he annoys people like you - and they'll do so again in 2020.

owedtojoy

The reason decent Americans voted for Trump is because he annoys people like you - and they'll do so again in 2020.
You have a very low opinion of the intelligence of Americans if you think they voted for an incompetent ass solely because he infuriates people they do not like.

I thought the USA was a democracy where the people decided "the best" to govern them.

You seem to think it is not about governance, but about point-scoring, p*ssing the highest and farting the loudest.

Allegro

You have a very low opinion of the intelligence of Americans if you think they voted for an incompetent ass solely because he infuriates people they do not like.

I thought the USA was a democracy where the people decided "the best" to govern them.

You seem to think it is not about governance, but about point-scoring, p*ssing the highest and farting the loudest.
I wouldn't go that far, but a significant factor behind Trump's vote was a resentment felt by working class individuals in fly by States, who feel they are looked down upon by the elites in New York and California. There's no doubt that the Democrats have a smug, sneering liberal side that doesn't rest well with those out in the sticks.

To my astonishment, this faction within the Democratic Party has got worse since Trumps's election. They certainly don't help themselves.

Samantha Bee on - YouTube

Jack Walsh

I wouldn't go that far, but a significant factor behind Trump's vote was a resentment felt by working class individuals in fly by States, who feel they are looked down upon by the elites in New York and California. There's no doubt that the Democrats have a smug, sneering liberal side that doesn't rest well with those out in the sticks.

To my astonishment, this faction within the Democratic Party has got worse since Trumps's election. They certainly don't help themselves.

Even if every single thing you say is true (and it isn't), it still doesn't justify voting for this calamity
It's like saying "I'm sick of all these new know all trendy hip teachers with their social issues, give me a good old fashion pedophile sadist Christian Brother any day"

Last edited:

Allegro

Even if ever single thing you say is true (and it isn't), it still doesn't not justify election this catastrophe
It's like saying "I'm sick of all these new know all trendy hip teachers with their social issues, give me a good old fashion pedophile sadist Christian Brother any day"
Er.....ok.

owedtojoy

Do you really think those in the sticks really give a rat's ass what middle-income New Yorkers think? I cannot believe people actually do cut off their own nose to spite their face - that their revenge on New Yorkers is to inflict a crappy government on them.

Take that, New York! Now your Government is a shytty as ours!

It seems rather there is a faction in the Republican party with an inferiority complex about states that are much more successful than theirs. They use that to provoke their base. New York and California are much wealthier and have a higher standard of living than Kansas or Mississippi. Maybe because Democrats provide better governance.

owedtojoy

And, by the way, more "ordinary decent Americans" voted against Donald Trump in 2016 than voted for him, and again in the mid-terms (when he said "his name was on the ballot").

Dame_Enda

5th Circuit Court of Appeals freezes appeal against Judge Reed O'Conners ruling that Obamacare is unconstitutional. 5th Circuit has a two thirds GOP majority of judges.

[TWEET]1083776294322622465[/TWEET]

petaljam

He doesn't annoy me at all, because I'm not American. For non-Americans, the amusement - and bemusement - value is still quite high.

If any Americans voted for Trump "in order to annoy" me, that would really be extremely stupid of them. But I don't actually think they are as stupid as you seem to.

Dame_Enda

Washington state district judge strikes down Trump's executive order that allows small businesses and individuals to set up health insurance plans that have lower requirements than Obamacare. Judge rules this EO was a way of getting around the ACA.

Trump's association health plan rule struck down

Watcher2

It doesn't appear as though Allegro actually thinks.

Watcher2

Trump is one of the biggest elites in New York. So you are making zero sense. That's fitting though but it does not appear to fit with the thrust of the point you are attempting to make.

owedtojoy

Myth.

The vast majority of Trump's voter's are the same voters who elected George W Bush. The majority of the working class voted for Clinton in 2016, and for Democrats in 2018.

There is a smug, sneering side to Trump when to boasted to his billionaire buddies on the day he signed off on the plutocrat tax cut: "I made a lot of money for you guys today". His next step is to cut every healthcare and education programme that helps the middle class and the poor (even the Special Olympics, ffs)!)

Trump's Tax Cut Has Failed to Deliver Promised Investment Boom

President Bartlet

The orange moron is and was only ever going to look after his fellow rich brothers and sisters - he doesn't give a flying fook about the working or middle class - but some of those GOP working class / middle class supporters that vote for him are thick as pig sh1te and cant see that

owedtojoy

Though Obamacare is popular, and sign-ups have hardly wavered, Blue States are attempting to overturn a ruling that the Affordable Healthcare Act is unconstitutional.

The Appeals panel has two Republican appointees and one Democratic.

If the ruling is upheld, the case could be heard by the Supreme Court next year, just as the 2020 elections season is beginning.

That may not be a bad thing for Democrats because it will dramatize what is a signature issue for them, at exactly the right moment.

blog_kaiser_obamacare_favorability_january_2019.gif

blog_kaiser_obamacare_favorability_january_2019.gif

Last edited:

Ardillaun

I don’t think too many people voted for Trump because of his healthcare proposals. As any Irish patient knows, there are no easy fixes.

owedtojoy

I don’t think too many people voted for Trump because of his healthcare proposals. As any Irish patient knows, there are no easy fixes.
Trump actually claimed there were easy fixes .... for everything. You just needed to elect him.

First thing he was going to do .... Congress will put a bill on his desk the first day .... Great Healthcare! And it was going to be soooooo easy .....

It may be true that few voted for Trump on account of healthcare ... but healthcare was a key part of the "moderate" image he cultivated on social issues, the image he cynically abandoned for the agenda of Congressional Republicans on Day One.

Dame_Enda

5th Circuit panel yesterday sound like they could uphold ruling striking down Obamacare law.

When it gets to SCOTUS will Roberts save the ACA again?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies