• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Obama's first State of the Union

H.R. Haldeman

Well, I have never heard a SoTU with less applause in the first 5 minutes. Not one round yet when there are usually a half dozen already. I put this down to the tone Obama has started with...there has been no natural break for applause yet. Alternatively, I wonder if Congress has decided to tweak the traditional yo-yo ovations.

liamfoley

Well he is only getting around to saying anything after 10 mins! Bonuses are bad the banks will pay! What was the first applause for anyway?

H.R. Haldeman

Nah, the SoTU is usually very formulaic in having dozens of standing ovations. It is the tradition. During Bush's SoTU's it was an ovation after every line. I notice tonight that the miserable refusnik GOP are as graceless as ever when things aren't going their way. It is shockingly poor form the way they are not honouring the tradition of the SoTU in applauding POTUS. They are becoming more like a mid-80's era Ulster Unionists by the day.

liamfoley

well they are making up for it, it has been nothing but applause for a bit. I think that is a bit silly, I am watching, looking for what he actually plans on doing.

liamfoley

Looks like another stimilus

H.R. Haldeman

He's hitting his stride now. This is shaping up to be a beautifully crafted speech.

liamfoley

He's hitting his stride now. This is shaping up to be a beautifully crafted speech.
Would prefer substance ...
Looks very ambitious but nuclear power, high speed rail but will it work? New offshore oil and gas!!!!

liamfoley

No word about the deficit. Enough said.
Forget the deficit as it stands, where will the money come for the plans he has already mentioned. OMG, he is talking about education now. Tax credits directly to families is good, but more bank bashing!!!!!

punchdrunk

Forget the deficit as it stands, where will the money come for the plans he has already mentioned. OMG, he is talking about education now. Tax credits directly to families is good, but more bank bashing!!!!!
A huge raft of promises and nothing to fund them. This guy will bankrupt America.

liamfoley

Freeze government spending he says,

H.R. Haldeman

I sense real chilliness from the GOP benches at Obama's tone. And I have to say, I think he has come pretty close to patronising the Republicans a few times. His tone has been way too flippant the last 10 minutes.

Abrax

I wonder who crafted it?.. Maybe they should put his speech writer up on stage instead or turn his teleprompter screens towards the audience.

liamfoley

I sense real chilliness from the GOP benches at Obama's tone. And I have to say, I think he has come pretty close to patronising the Republicans a few times. His tone has been way too flippant the last 10 minutes.
He was a bit when it came to the healthcare part. Now he is dissing the Supremes!!!!