Obama's guidelines on transgender toilets have just been revoked.

O

Oscurito

I think this merits its own thread. If the moderators disagree, they can merge it away off somewhere.

Last May, then president Obama passed into law guidance to US public schools that allowed transgender students to use toilets matching their gender identity.

The current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue has just rescinded that move, on the belief that it's an unwarranted interference in the freedom of states and public schools to set their own poiicies.

What does the P.ie nation think? Personally, I think we would do well to consider dropping the idea that toilets should be gender specific. If you're a father with a young daughter, or a mother with a young son, it's awkward having to bring them to a toilet. How about a set of cubicles that anyone of any gender can use and then a common area where people can wash and dry their hands?

RTÉ News US President revokes Obama guidelines on transgender toilets

silverharp

parents don't bring their kids to school toilets. Also in the US up until the age of 6 or 7 women could bring boys into female toilets for example and presumably the other way around too

O

Oscurito

parents don't bring their kids to school toilets. Also in the US up until the age of 6 or 7 women could bring boys into female toilets for example and presumably the other way around too
That comment was about toilets in general.

Do you have a link for the bit in bold? It seems a little broadbrushy for all 50 states.....

Erudite Caveman

I think this merits its own thread. If the moderators disagree, they can merge it away off somewhere.

Last May, then president Obama passed into law guidance to US public schools that allowed transgender students to use toilets matching their gender identity.

The current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue has just rescinded that move, on the belief that it's an unwarranted interference in the freedom of states and public schools to set their own poiicies.

What does the P.ie nation think? Personally, I think we would do well to consider dropping the idea that toilets should be gender specific. If you're a father with a young daughter, or a mother with a young son, it's awkward having to bring them to a toilet. How about a set of cubicles that anyone of any gender can use and then a common area where people can wash and dry their hands?

RTÉ News US President revokes Obama guidelines on transgender toilets
A recognition that all humans needs to urinate, defacate and wash up afterwards, and the set up mentioned above would do the trick would be a start.

Strawberry

I think schools would be well advised to stick to Obama's policy anyway. If a trans student gets beaten up in the boys toilets, the school would only get sued.

Trainwreck

Do you have a link for the bit in bold? It seems a little broadbrushy for all 50 states.....
Everywhere I have ever been, society coalesces to soft rules. Parents use their judgement. When my daughter were young and I was out with them, I would make a judgement and take them into the men's toilets if I thought it appropriate, rather than mike them go alone into the women's - that being a better social compromise than me just walking into the women's.

My wife did the same with our sons.

We don't need politicians writing laws for this stuff.

Mercurial

About 50% of young trans people in the US have seriously contemplated suicide, with one in four having made a suicide attempt. Measures like this will do nothing but harm what is already a very vulnerable group of people.

Trainwreck

I think schools would be well advised to stick to Obama's policy anyway. If a trans student gets beaten up in the boys toilets, the school would only get sued.
And when a girl complains about a boy spying on her in the girl's toilets?

silverharp

my experience as a kid in NY, older than that and the attendants would get narky :D

Trainwreck

About 50% of young trans people in the US have seriously contemplated suicide, with one in four having made a suicide attempt. Measures like this will do nothing but harm what is already a very vulnerable group of people.

This measure is the start of a process of addressing the cause of that incidence in suicide. Rolling back the damage being done by your Litard gender bullshít.

Strawberry

And when a girl complains about a boy spying on her in the girl's toilets?
If a boy is abusing the rules to be a peeping tom, that's on the boy. If the school endangers a trans student by making a rule that forces her to use the boys bathroom, that's on the school.

Mercurial

This measure is the start of a process of addressing the cause of that incidence in suicide. Rolling back the damage being done by your Litard gender bullshít.
Please explain how the mental health of trans kids will be improved by forcing them to use toilet facilities which they are not comfortable using.

Herr Rommel

Some much needed common sense on display from President Trump and his people.

Analyzer

The US has gone to pot. And I am not talking about MaryJane.

Trans males can use a cubicle in the male toilets. Trans females are using that option anyway by default.

After the operation they can follow their preferred option.

Betson

A recognition that all humans needs to urinate, defacate and wash up afterwards, and the set up mentioned above would do the trick would be a start.

What about a recognition that there is a difference in how males and females go about the urinate part , you notice in pubs , stadiums etc etc there is always a far bigger log jam at the female restrooms at peak times , this is not solely because women spend their time at the mirror doing make up , gabbing endlessly , or whatever else they do etc.

It is mainly because the mechanics allows for space saving urinals to be put in male rest rooms , this hugely speeds up the process and helps traffic management no end in those rest rooms, do you want to do away with that for political correctness reasons? I suspect they are also much cheaper to build as less cubicles are needed.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies