• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Objection to plan to build mosque in Galway.

Fears that dome and minaret tower would be obtrusive

Plans to develop a mosque and Muslim cultural centre to the rear of a semi-detached house in Ballybrit, have met with local opposition.
Dr Mamoon Rashid and Dr Anwar Malik of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Association of Ireland in Wellpark Grove have sought permission to develop the mosque and cultural centre to the rear of the house at The Cottages in Ballybrit.
The development will comprise a single storey mosque building with a dome and minaret (two-storey height) to accommodate a prayer hall, circulation areas, toilets and two office rooms.
There are also proposed alterations to the house, including a rear extension and an additional first floor bedroom, which will serve as accommodation for the current Imam, Ibrahim Noonan.
“Due to the growing Muslim population in Galway, [the Ahmadiyya Association] have spent the last number of years looking for a designated place of worship in the Galway area rather than continue to hold service in residential accommodation in the city, which are unsuited in terms of function and the growing number of worshippers involved.
Objection to plan to build mosque in Ballybane area | Galway City Tribune | galwaynews.ie

I wasnt aware that Galway had a large Muslim population!

It certainly kills the myth that immigrants are returning home, clearly Muslim immigrants are planning to stay for a very long time!

jimmyfour

This is a superb idea for Galway. Laissez-faire and liberal or not? The true test of the west!

Knowing Ballybane as well as I do I wouldnt expect a mosque to last too long!

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
They are raising money in Waterford to build a mosque down here too.

I hope our own serial objector Brendan mccann former member of the green party objects to this.

We need some swiss-style direct democracy so we can ban all mosque building. Before you go mad, please stay a week in Birmingham, maybe Antiphon can put you up.

Ah Well

Speaking of Antiphon, where is he when a relevant Thread opens up

:D

beanie

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Speaking of Antiphon, where is he when a relevant Thread opens up

:D
The Hajj was on recently hes still probably over in Saudi walking round the meteor there. The apologisers here should go over and join him. They can go to a stoning together. Then again he might be busy trying to withdraw cash from the swiss bank account he has access to.

Ah Well

The Hajj was on recently hes still probably over in Saudi walking round the meteor there. The apologisers here should go over and join him. They can go to a stoning together. Then again he might be busy trying to withdraw cash from the swiss bank account he has access to.
Speaking of stonings I came across details last night where a 13 yr old girl got just such fatal treatment allegedly in 2008 in Somali as reported by Amnesty Int ... her crime? being raped by 3 men .... horrendous and still not in the better of having read this tbh ....

BBC NEWS | Africa | Stoning victim 'begged for mercy' (There are a lot more graphic details of this out there but am not going to link - too awful)

This world is inhabitated by some terrible beings

:(

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDeG1SqozuY"]YouTube- Dedicated to Aisha Ibrahim Duhulo, a 13 yr old Somalia girl[/ame]

eyeswideopen

This world is inhabitated by some terrible beings
It is. I read about this when it happened - there is a BBC report here. The report I read said that the boy was shot because he tried to stop the stoning. It was done under control of an armed militia and witnesses said it was wrong and were appalled - please read here.BBC NEWS | Africa | Stoning victim 'begged for mercy'

The video of the girl killed, in the red top (not linked) was a Kurdish, Kedizi religion girl, killed by the men of her family (who recorded the killing on their mobiles) because she had gone away with her Sunni Muslim boyfriend.

The is not normal and shouldn't be used to blackguard millions of decent people.

reknaw

Wow! The mosque itself will be single-storey, but the minaret will be two storeys high - nearly visible from Athlone if you are sharp-sighted enough and a real challenger to the gargantuan cathedral belonging to the kiddy-fiddler church that has dominated Galway up to now - and less than 4 km from the city centre!!! Reach for the pikes in the thatch - the Ireland that we know and love is about to be turned into Cairo Mark II.:lol::lol:

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Liberalism means in ther next few years we'll start to see honour killings in Ireland.

Heres a case of a 15 year old girl in the UK , she was murdered by members of her own family for dating someone who was outside their own Islamic sect.

BBC News - UK honour killing 'wake-up call'

Was particularly outraged by this when I saw a television report on it some time ago.

Fing Fers

Is it Muslim week or something? Muslim related posts popping up all over the place.

I was working near Harold's cross one time, driving up with a mate, not to far away from the job. I said to my mate, look what's going on there? Heaps of Muslims making their way from a building, must have all finished prayer or something, I though it was some kind of fancy dress party, first time ever seeing a large group like that in Ireland. That was 5 years ago, must be some amount here now.

I all for immigration in moderation but they way things are going, parts of Ireland will be like Birmingham. Putting racism aside it does bother me all the same, the whole system is unequal, we are in the height of it now, where can we go?

eyeswideopen

Liberalism means in ther next few years we'll start to see honour killings in Ireland.

Heres a case of a 15 year old girl in the UK , she was murdered by members of her own family for dating someone who was outside their own Islamic sect.

BBC News - UK honour killing 'wake-up call'

Was particularly outraged by this when I saw a television report on it some time ago.
Shocking things happen here too. There was a thread yesterday about Gardai covering for a monk suspected of rape and murder of a child.

It would be silly to blame all Irish Catholics for that.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Shocking things happen here too. There was a thread yesterday about Gardai covering for a monk suspected of rape and murder of a child.

It would be silly to blame all Irish Catholics for that.
Because we commit evil we cannot discriminate about additional exotic evils coming here. Interesting.

avagardner

Sure as long as we keep treating them like royalty, hardly anything will change?.
we should follow the Italian model, it seems to be working for them, as for the French, its a lost cause.