• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Occitania on the map

Accidental sock

Damn....I was hoping for "Frenchy McFrench-face"

farnaby

203,999 people took part in the non-binding referendum -164,826 of them via internet, and 39,167 on paper ballots.
Population16.300.000 inhabitants aprox. (2016)
Hmmm... The "democratic" result doesn't seem as clear cut as originally implied!

Chunder

Twitter
transparent-odour
Nothing to do with the brand L'Occitan by any chance?

effer

I suspect that you posed that question, with your tongue in your cheek..................;)
One must ask the important questions, don't you think? Frankly, it sounds like a sinking ship which is probably apt considering it hasn't cut loose from the EU. TBH, I couldn't give a dam about Occitania, it can go sh1te for all I care.

ne0ica

Its almost like an EU referendum in that the results are no recognized.

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Am I allowed to take this one seriously?

If so, I'm a bit confused about geography.

For a start, the name "Occitania" is provisional, and would not be confirmed until it goes to the Conseil d'Etat in October. Even so, as farnaby implies, there is something adrift with the name. The area where "Occitan" is the dialect reaches from the Pyrenees into the Alps and Italy:

As farnaby said, population some sixteen million.The area now claiming to be "Occitan" is much smaller — 5.5 million (and I'd hazard, especially beyond Toulouse, and out of the summer tourist season) less financially well-greased:

Then it gets political.

This is an area which tends to vote left, and has shown some resentment against control by les Franciliens of l'Île-de-France, particularly so when they swan off home at the end of August. Any mass Occitan movement is a creation of recent years, rather like the surge of Scots nationalism.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies