Occupation of Apollo House to house the homeless. Home Sweet Home

Kommunist

https://www.facebook.com/Home-Sweet-Home-Eire-1612885472339949/

[video=youtube;FsoX73Y5o-Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsoX73Y5o-Y[/video]

'************ Call Out For Volunteers *************

We are contacting you to asking for support for direct action being taken in Dublin to tackle the homeless crisis.
Last night we carried out in an action to intervene in the housing crisis and save lives. Apollo House, a building that has been left vacant for 6 years was opened to people who were otherwise sleeping rough on the streets.
The action was taken as a response to the deaths on our streets. The action was taken to ensure dignity for people left vulnerable and unsupported by government. We believes that this crisis is not about resources but about lack of political will to put the needs of the people above private interest
There are 3 ways you can help

1) You can directly volunteer for this action, just fill out the form at the link here
https://docs.google.com/…/1FAIpQLSeTc-i82G8c_JCyQ…/viewform…
2) You can join any of the teams that will be there to support this action, these are admin, maintenance, security, support (physical and emotional), donation/supplies inside and media, artist group, finance, legal and outreach outside.. Please reply indicating the team you want to be in.
3) Finally If you can't, for whatever reason, do any of these we would ask you/your group to publicly support the action, by directly publicly stating your support for direct action or using the action to raise any of the issues with the housing, homeless and accommodation crisis.
Please fill in the form above and leave your, Name, number, email and which of 1,2,3 you can do.
Best
HSH Outreach'

freewillie

They do realise it's Christmas party night?

PBP voter

Complete stupidity.

The building isn't up to standard for residential use. It's hasn't the required fire safety in place.

Anybody encouraging people to stay in the building overnight needs to think about the safety and insurance aspect.

Congalltee

A nama office block! Why do I picture some FG special advisor face-palming about how they missed that one? They've tried hotels, prefabs and communal dorms
...perhaps a derelict office block would be beyond even the FG advisors. But a soon to be demolished office block which is occupied by Bono's Grafton St. Xmas eve backing singers, gives the government cover that the homeless crisis is about visible rough sleepers instead of thousands displaced people in search of a home (not an office block).

Kommunist

[video=youtube;Pk4scySuANo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk4scySuANo[/video]

GDPR

Nationalization of houses and flats left un-used for more than a year would be great start.

Lara2

Petition here:

https://action.uplift.ie/campaigns/home-sweet-home

To An Taoiseach, Enda Kenny and his government colleagues

We call on you to end homelessness and give it the same level of priority shown to bailing out the banks. This means everyone living on the street must have a safe place to go, an end to people living long term in emergency accommodation and an end to social housing waiting lists.

PBP voter

Nationalization of houses and flats left un-used for more than a year would be great start.
Agreed.

We need to give councils the same power as the Conservative and Unionist Party has given to the ones in London.

Councils looking to bring vacant properties back into use have a range of options, including levying an additional rate of council tax, helping homeowners with the cost of repairs, or even compulsory purchase orders.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/feb/21/tens-thousands-london-homes-deemed-long-term-vacant

Lara2

This sounds interesting. The Irish Housing Network, Home Sweet Home initiative are involved in this. They're not about just finding shelter for rough sleepers over xmas, they give help and support to all people finding themselves homeless n this housing crisis. Rosie Leonard is behind the Irish Housing Network

While the Dáil choose do nothing but sit around on their arses and debate flawed legislation this very minute, this Housing Network are actually doing something proactive.

This group seems to be grassroots and could have the potential to garner the same momentum as the grassroots, localised and community aspect to the Irish Water protests. From what I've read, activists, artists, musicians and poets are also involved. Glenn Hansard, Damien Dempsey, film director Jim Sheridan and Brendan Ogle from Unite

https://www.facebook.com/irishhousingnetwork/#

Felixness

What does it achieve? 131 people arrived from Greece today. We're told they're Syrian refugees, but there's no proof of who they are. How many houses are needed to house them and why are the people behind this Occupy stunt not protesting that 131 migrants will be housed ahead of all the homeless Irish people?

Those people could afford to pay thousands of euro to people traffickers and Greece is not a war zone so there's nothing to flee from only flee to a life time on the gravy train in Ireland, in a few years the government will pay for them to be naturalised. Then they'll be entitled to even more than the homeless Irish folks.

irish_bob

an orge of virtue signalling from the motley crew of celebs

oh and the two biggest a55h0les in ireland along for the ride in john connors and brendan ogle

Lara2

an orge of virtue signalling from the motley crew of celebs

oh and the two biggest a55h0les in ireland along for the ride in john connors and brendan ogle
Musicians and singers Glenn Hansard and Damien Dempsey have always held political views, it's reflected in their songs, particularly Dempsey's so it's not like they're jumping on the bandwagon or see themselves as Boner or Geldof.

Jim Sheridan just happened to find out about the initiative last week, he spoke on the Ray D'Arcy show today.

John Connors, whatever you think of him, is a good advocate for the travellers, articulate and confident.

Brendan Ogle is a principled, fair and honest man. He has integrity and is passionate about his cause. The more I hear his views the more I like him.

What do they all have in common? Passion. A fúcking heart. Kudos to them all.

But of course I forgot - You're a landlord!

Lara2

The Main people behind this initiative are The Irish Housing Network and Rosie Leonard.

The others I listed above are just lending their support, but they're the ones the media have latched on to.

Seanie Lemass

Not wishing to be unkind, but the people involved in this are junkies and street drinkers.

Does anyone seriously think that someone with children is going to be sleeping in Apollo House?

Such people are given emergency accommodation - not the optimum solution I know and people have lost their homes unfairly - but they are not sleeping on the streets.

irish_bob

Musicians and singers Glenn Hansard and Damien Dempsey have always held political views, it's reflected in their songs, particularly Dempsey's so it's not like they're jumping on the bandwagon or see themselves as Boner or Geldof.

Jim Sheridan just happened to find out about the initiative last week, he spoke on the Ray D'Arcy show today.

John Connors, whatever you think of him, is a good advocate for the travellers, articulate and confident.

Brendan Ogle is a principled, fair and honest man. He has integrity and is passionate about his cause. The more I hear his views the more I like him.

What do they all have in common? Passion. A fúcking heart. Kudos to them all.

But of course I forgot - You're a landlord!

" john connors is a good advocate for the travelling community "

well he is an apt spokesperson , il give you that

the guy is a grievance monger of the highest order , he is also let away with absolute murder by the media and apparently can say anything with immunity ( no matter how innaccurate or slanderous ) and be sure of not even the slightest challenge by sole virtue of the fact he is a member of a PC sacred cow group , odious cretin

Reasunach

Oh the naivety! I'm sure that their hearts are in the right place, but just like Band Aid, they'll soon discover that REAL charitable assistance is not just for Christmas, and is also open to all sorts of abuse that they would never have deemed possible. How many times does the parable have to be repeated before people realise it makes common sense? "Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach him to fish you feed him for a lifetime." Short term measures are all well and good, but at the risk of repeating myself, Jonathan Corrie sold TWO properties in order to feed his addiction and died in a doorway. There is no point in keeping people alive on a daily basis purely to gratify the dealers, be they drugs, or alcohol, or prescription tablets, or even the "charities" that people become dependent on. We need to focus on education and family planning to lift people out of the poverty cycle. But of course no-one wants to do that lest it disturb the status quo and their "human rights" to live a life as they please, regardless of the cost to society.

truthisfree

Not wishing to be unkind, but the people involved in this are junkies and street drinkers.

Does anyone seriously think that someone with children is going to be sleeping in Apollo House?

Such people are given emergency accommodation - not the optimum solution I know and people have lost their homes unfairly - but they are not sleeping on the streets.
We have a serious housing crisis, thousands of empty places all over the country, fair dues to these people for doing what they have.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies