OCD, Internet Addiction and Egomania

Irish-Rationalist

Perusing this forum, it becomes apparent that many people take political life very seriously, and in numerous instances, go to extreme and energetic lengths to communicate their opinions, which they obviously deem significant.

In fact, some posters spend their every waking hour obsessively-compulsively pontificating, pedantically nit-picking and attempting to perform analytical and verbal acrobatics, so helplessly hooked are they on this particular medium of self expression.

Posting a political opinion can be a creative and healthy means of communication and release, but when the human ego becomes so dependent on the validation of others for sustenance, that reliance can become problematic.

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a real phenomenon, and internet addiction is just one manifestation.

As an anonymous stranger on an internet forum, your views are as important as the importance you and others place upon them.

It just seems that too many people take themselves and their opinions much too seriously, and that if left unchecked, this predilection can develop into a pathological and self deleterious condition; egomania.

Encountered any OCD suffering, internet addicted, egomaniacs recently?

Supra

Perusing this forum, it becomes apparent that many people take political life very seriously, and in numerous instances, go to extreme and energetic lengths to communicate their opinions, which they obviously deem significant.

In fact, some posters spend their every waking hour obsessively-compulsively pontificating, pedantically nit-picking and attempting to perform analytical and verbal acrobatics, so helplessly hooked are they on this particular medium of self expression.

Posting a political opinion can be a creative and healthy means of communication and release, but when the human ego becomes so dependent on the validation of others for sustenance, that reliance can become problematic.

Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a real phenomenon, and internet addiction is just one manifestation.

As an anonymous stranger on an internet forum, your views are as important as the importance you and others place upon them.

It just seems that too many people take themselves and their opinions much too seriously, and that if left unchecked, this predilection can develop into a pathological and self deleterious condition; egomania.

I want to like your OP but I'm afraid of the consequences. Then not liking it could have consequences too. Am I overthinking this?

Civic_critic2

That's one way of putting it. Another is that we are witnessing the greatest engagement with communication through writing we have ever seen in human history. Of course those who previously cornered the market in this are keen to denigrate it in every way they can.

Irish-Rationalist

I want to like your OP but I'm afraid of the consequences. Then not liking it could have consequences too. Am I overthinking this?
Not at all. Meek-mindedness is not a manifestation of over-thought.

That's one way of putting it. Another is that we are witnessing the greatest engagement with communication through writing we have ever seen in human history. Of course those who previously cornered the market in this are keen to denigrate it in every way they can.
I value the internet, political fora in particular, for the way in which it has provided ordinary people, who are not politicians and who do not hold prominent positions in society, with a platform to voice their views and concerns. However, there is clearly an over-representation of what can only be described as pretentious, over-opinionated people on fora such as this, and OCD, internet addiction and egomania would seem to be constituent components in this phenomenon.

Prof Honeydew

However, there is clearly an over-representation of what can only be described as pretentious, over-opinionated people on fora such as this, and OCD, internet addiction and egomania would seem to be constituent components in this phenomenon.
How dare you to presume in any not-inconsequential manner any manifestations or, indeed, spurious cravings to expressions of pretentious pomposity on the part of contributors of such weighty importance as my good self when we all know that the sum of your miserably limited intellect is akin to a dim 5 Watt bulb pathetically attempting to illuminate itself in the presence of the blinding brilliance of my mind ...

Irish-Rationalist

How dare you to presume in any not-inconsequential manner any manifestations or, indeed, spurious cravings to expressions of pretentious pomposity on the part of contributors of such weighty importance as my good self when we all know that the sum of your miserably limited intellect is akin to a dim 5 Watt bulb pathetically attempting to illuminate itself in the presence of the blinding brilliance of my mind ...
Oh well, at least you have humility.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies