• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Odious comparisons: why calorie counting makes little sense.

Shqiptar

Are you one of those people who checks the calorie content of different products before choosing which one to buy? If so, there is good news and bad news. The bad news is that your effort seems to have been largely pointless. The good news is that the best thing you can do is follow your instinct and go with what is the most natural and least-processed option.

The system by which different foodstuffs are rated for calorie content is hopelessly out of date. Scientists have known this for decades but no-one bothered to question it because it was thought that even if the hard figures made little sense, it was useful for comparison purposes.

Well, even that no longer holds true. The system was devised by an American scientist in the 19th century based on the energy released by burning different foodstuffs. Now, as I understand it, there is an inbuilt correction in the statistics to allow for the fact that we digest food rather than burning it. However, the chap in question assumed that cooking food didn't change anything. Wrong. Cooking can raise the amount of calories available to us - by 15% in the case of meat and 39% in the case of sweet potatoes.

Fibre is a good example of this. Cooking fibrous foods makes more calories available since it means the fibre is delivered to us in a more digestible form. Left uncooked (or cooked only lightly), our bodily microbes have to break it down for us and in the heel of the hunt, they use up a fair amount of the energy that could otherwise build up as extra kgs of fat.

So, the more processed food is, the badder it is. That's even before we get talking about additives, preservatives. But that's another story.

Calorie count system is well past sell-by date - The Irish Times - Tue, Feb 19, 2013

R

Ramps

Do most men, excluding bodybuilders and alcoholics, actually consume 2,500 calories per day?

Shqiptar

Do most men, excluding bodybuilders and alcoholics, actually consume 2,500 calories per day?
Far more I'd say, going by the mounds of flesh I see around town.

D

Dylan2010

shhh! there will be a black helicopter with marksmen sent by Weight Watchers to take you out presently. Sounds reasonble though. Also the whole calories in calories out paradigm is also now starting to be questioned as it doesnt tell you much about what different types of calories do to your body.

Verhofstadt

Website
Lost three stone a couple of years ago (from 16 to 13 stone over 12 months) and kept it off.

Paid zero attention to calories, just focused on reducing my carb intake (specifically white carbs) and did some exercise.

Shqiptar

shhh! there will be a black helicopter with marksmen sent by Weight Watchers to take you out presently. Sounds reasonble though. Also the whole calories in calories out paradigm is also now starting to be questioned as it doesnt tell you much about what different types of calories do to your body.
The whole food system stinks to the high heaven. You have these massive conglomerates who sell you fatty processed cr_p and then they sell you other processed cr_p to fix the problems caused by their fatty processed cr_p.

Solution: keep it natural. Don't buy any of their cr_p.

R

Ramps

Unless I'm way out on my calculations, the following 3 meals wouldn't give you more than 1,700-1,800 cal.

Porridge; brown bead and soup; potatoes, chops and two veg; and a few pieces of fruit.

That leaves plenty of room for a bar of chocolate, a packet of crisps, a latte, a sandwich in the evening, and whatever.

Wtf are people eating?!!

zakalwe1

Eat less, move more...

its that simple, folks

and you're dead right to point out that by eating less process foods, its better for your weight, and overall health.

Shqiptar

Lost three stone a couple of years ago (from 16 to 13 stone over 12 months) and kept it off.

Paid zero attention to calories, just focused on reducing my carb intake (specifically white carbs) and did some exercise.
White carbs are bad. I eat reasonable amount of brown bread and brown rice every day though.

zakalwe1

Unless I'm way out on my calculations, the following 3 meals wouldn't give you more than 1,700-1,800 cal.

Porridge; brown bead and soup; potatoes, chops and two veg; and a few pieces of fruit.

That leaves plenty of room for a bar of chocolate, a packet of crisps, a latte, a sandwich in the evening, and whatever.

Wtf are people eating?!!
depends on the portion sizes....some gourmet soups (thinking avoca or donnybrook fair) are loaded with cream.
aside from that, i'd agree with your question....

zakalwe1

White carbs are bad. I eat reasonable amount of brown bread and brown rice every day though.
made the switch to porridge for breakfast, brown bread for lunch and spuds/wholewheat pasta and haven't looked back.
dropped from close to 17 stone to 14.5 in 6 months...

and stay away from fizzy drinks...loaded with sugar

R

Ramps

made the switch to porridge for breakfast, brown bread for lunch and spuds/wholewheat pasta and haven't looked back.
dropped from close to 17 stone to 14.5 in 6 months...

and stay away from fizzy drinks...loaded with sugar
What height are you(if you don't mind my asking)?

D

Dylan2010

The whole food system stinks to the high heaven. You have these massive conglomerates who sell you fatty processed cr_p and then they sell you other processed cr_p to fix the problems caused by their fatty processed cr_p.

Solution: keep it natural. Don't buy any of their cr_p.
indeed, I seem to be bombarded with adverts at the moment about some coulored urine made by Lucozade being better than water, which will no doubt end up in the luch boxes of kids helping them to become sugar addicts in the future (katie are you listening?)

irelandmearsedotcom

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Anglophones

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Anglophones

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Anglophones

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Anglophones

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Anglophones

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

zakalwe1

Zak is just under four foot if I recall correctly.

thats disgusting verhofstadt, although the photo isn't far from the truth, and i prefer riding beautiful women!!!

for the record i'm 6 foot...i know i still have a few pounds to shed but my daily exercise regime means that i have much more developed arms, shoulder and legs (i still have a small but stubborn beer belly!)

R

Ramps

thats disgusting verhofstadt, although the photo isn't far from the truth, and i prefer riding beautiful women!!!

for the record i'm 6 foot...i know i still have a few pounds to shed but my daily exercise regime means that i have much more developed arms, shoulder and legs (i still have a small but stubborn beer belly!)
Ah, that's not too bad; I thought you were going to say 5' 6" or summat!

corporal punishment

I'm switching from wheat completely to Spelt. Modern wheat is supposed to be dreadful shyte altogether.

Shqiptar

Wtf are people eating?!!
Whoah....a bar of chocolate is apparently 300 calories. So, for a woman, you're over the 2000 limit before you start talking about the latte, crisps and sandwich.

I think the whole idea is to forget about calories and eat food as close to its natural state as possible.