OECD Report shows collapse in reading standards

dalywise

The legacy of Fianna Fail continues. Not only will the children of today be paying into their old age for their corruption and incompetence, it looks like they won't even be able to read or write about it.

"There has been a significant decline in literacy standards among Irish 15-year-olds over the past ten years, according to a highly regarded international education survey. The OECD's latest PISA study ranked the reading ability of Irish 15-year-olds in 17th place out of 39 countries, compared to 5th place in 2000."

Decline in literacy among 15-year-olds: study - RT News

So take a bow all you FF Ministers of Education of the past 13 years. You are:

Michael Martin
Michael Woods
Noel Dempsey
Mary Hanafin
Batt O'Keeffe
Mary Coughlan

And one of these is Tanaiste and two others fancy themselves as future Taoisigh. What a joke. What jokes!

He3

What do teachers and parents here make of this finding? Is it a rogue result, as the RTÉ story suggests, or is it reflecting what is seen in the classroom?

TV/computers replacing reading in free time? I gather that national teachers have noted a decline in reading ability in children entering school, attributable perhaps to parents reading less with young children and children watching more screens. If so, is this continuing to hamper later performance?

More immigrant children and mainstreaming of special needs children affecting the outcome, again as hinted at in the story?

Informed comment welcome on what on the face of it is a troubling report, including a downgrade from average to below average in Maths - in stark contrast to the Science performance.

RTÉ said:
In its latest survey, Irish students fared well in science, once again significantly above average. Achievement has fallen in maths, from average to below average.

However, the really significant decline is in Reading. From 5th place among 39 countries ten years ago to 17th place now.

The Department of Education commissioned Irish and Canadian researchers to find out why. Their research says changes in the school going population may have had some influence.

There are more migrant children, fewer early school leavers and a greater inclusion of students with Special Education Needs.

But both groups say these and other factors cannot account fully for such dramatic change.

The Department of Education says it is taking the OECD findings seriously but it is also urging caution and points to other studies of the same student group which showed no decline in ability.

The INTO has said the results will damage the international reputation of Ireland's education system.

However the primary teachers' union said the results should be treated with caution as all other evidence shows that Irish literacy and numeracy standards are stable.

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

You must also thank all the teachers trade unions who have ensured world class conditions in terms of top pay and entitlements for their members.

Irish teachers according to CSO statistics were the richest cohort in the Irish population.

firefly123

I imagine that text speak has a lot to do with this. R U goin 2 d pictures 2day. Nice 1 gr8!

I have a friend who corrects the leaving cert English and this is the standard of some of what is handed up!

DeputyEdo

Kids are so used to texting, that they no longer know how to spell words correctly.
Even look on some forum posts...you'll see that people haven't a clue about grammar or punctuation or spelling

firefly123

You must also thank all the teachers trade unions who have ensured world class conditions in terms of top pay and entitlements for their members.

Irish teachers according to CSO statistics were the richest cohort in the Irish population.
Care to provide a link to that CEO stat?

MadAsHell

Parents with less time to sit and read with the kids (we'll have more time now!).
Falling teaching standards.
Inability, I don't believe I need to state the reasons, to introduce more agile and progressive teaching methods.

Blaming the "text generation" is a smokescreen in my opinion, one wonders if the Gutenberg printing press was blamed for a decrease in calligraphy skills.

And no shouting about the previous comment, meant as light hearted but relevant?

Inca Gold

Given our rich literary tradition (theatre, poetry and prose) there is on the surface no reason why our children should be less literate now compared to a decade ago.

Unless, that is, the three reasons advanced have a direct bearing on our declining literacy levels.

If these reasons are correct, major and urgent action needs to be taken swiftly to redress this 'dumbing down' of Irish teenage literacy skills.

No longer will we be able to boast to foreign investors that we have a highly educated potential workforce. Rather, the reverse is the case - a rising idiot class with less and less ability to read, write, do basic maths etc.

God help us !

Last edited:
D

Dylan2010

as a parent, I consider myself part of the education equation. My 6 year old can read at a 7 or 8 level and he is only going into 1st class next year, they havent been thought to read yet. If the parents arent interested, the kids are not likely to be either.
There is an anti intellectual bias in this country, so its everyone for themselves

DeputyEdo

Blaming the "text generation" is a smokescreen in my opinion, one wonders if the Gutenberg printing press was blamed for a decrease in calligraphy skills.

And no shouting about the previous comment, meant as light hearted but relevant?
I'm not saying the text generation is 100% to blame, but it definitely has a part to play.

I was on another forum a while ago. One of the members died in an accident, so people from the forum sent messages of condolence to the family...a fair few also turned out at the funeral. A few days later, the 16 year old sister of the lad who died came on to have a chat and thank everyone etc...her fecking posts were damn near unreadable....full of things like :
I wnt 2 say txs 2 evry1 wat cam to my bros funral
It was a gr8 day n i no dave wud hve bin hppy wit the trn out

that sh1te might be ok in a text, but you don't have to pay to type full words on a fecking forum.
Fecking terrible stuff.

Canon

I am amazed that reading standards are falling when both parents are out working, when television is on constantly for the preschoolers, when teachers are dealing with climbing pupil teacher ratios, poor follow up for disruptive pupils, constantly filling out forms to provide a paper trail to cover bureaucrazy..oops bureaucracy's behind in the event they might have to confront the lack of supports for the teenagers education. Oh yeah ..right!

MadAsHell

I'm not saying the text generation is 100% to blame, but it definitely has a part to play.

I was on another forum a while ago. One of the members died in an accident, so people from the forum sent messages of condolence to the family...a fair few also turned out at the funeral. A few days later, the 16 year old sister of the lad who died came on to have a chat and thank everyone etc...her fecking posts were damn near unreadable....full of things like :
I wnt 2 say txs 2 evry1 wat cam to my bros funral
It was a gr8 day n i no dave wud hve bin hppy wit the trn out

that sh1te might be ok in a text, but you don't have to pay to type full words on a fecking forum.
Fecking terrible stuff.
Don't disagree that "texting" is an issue, just putting perspective on it, as an aside, it is still nice to hear that the girl in question took the time to thank people, even if the "language" was frustrating. One wonders in years to come if we will regard "txt" forms as being as charming as cockney rhyming slang, or with the new generation of "talk to text" will computers correct the language and diction with a strange mid-atlantic twang.

:cool:

d7bohs

as a parent, I consider myself part of the education equation. My 6 year old can read at a 7 or 8 level and he is only going into 1st class next year, they havent been thought to read yet. If the parents arent interested, the kids are not likely to be either.
There is an anti intellectual bias in this country, so its everyone for themselves
:D

endajo

The legacy of Fianna Fail continues. Not only will the children of today be paying into their old age for their corruption and incompetence, it looks like they won't even be able to read or write about it.

"There has been a significant decline in literacy standards among Irish 15-year-olds over the past ten years, according to a highly regarded international education survey. The OECD's latest PISA study ranked the reading ability of Irish 15-year-olds in 17th place out of 39 countries, compared to 5th place in 2000."

Decline in literacy among 15-year-olds: study - RT News

So take a bow all you FF Ministers of Education of the past 13 years. You are:

Michael Martin
Michael Woods
Noel Dempsey
Mary Hanafin
Batt O'Keeffe
Mary Coughlan

And one of these is Tanaiste and two others fancy themselves as future Taoisigh. What a joke. What jokes!
Most of those Ministers were teachers before they went into the wrecking business. It seems them applied their wrecking skills to education like they have done to every other aspect of Irish society.

BTW, people attributing our slide down this table to the advent of texting or internet use are demonstrating a total lack of clear thinking. I'm sure other countries have texting and facebook too. Our decline is relative to the other countries and therefore not indicative of any absolute decline in standards. The clowns in the Dept of Education are presiding over the wholescale destruction of standards in Irish schools. They should be shot.

maxthedog

Have too agree, over paid,pampered and now proven to be inept

Threadser

Have too agree, over paid,pampered and now proven to be inept
I trained as a primary teacher in the late 1980s. When I started teaching, parents were generally supportive and had trust and respect for teaching as a profession. The above quote shows just how much this attitude has changed.

In recent years the curriculum has become ridiculously overloaded. There has been a move away from direct teaching methods as "chalk and talk" is now completelly frowned upon. Using textbooks in the classroom is now seen as "regressive" and teachers are required to write ridiculous amounts of detailed notes which contribute nothing to the quality of teaching, but simply satify the demands of an ever malevolant inspectorate. The "new" 1999 curriculum is ridicuouly complicated. A look at the strands and strand units of the English curriculum alone will confirm this

Myself and most of my colleagues have been advocating a return to an emphasis on the 3 Rs for quite some time. The time has come I think.

New Threads

Most Replies