• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

off the ball back as second captains on lrish times

mido

Former Off the Ball team returns to the airwaves on irishtimes.com - Sports News | Latest Sports Results & Fixtures | The Irish Times - Tue, May 07, 2013
they are back on the irish times to do streaming and podcasts -good news for those who liked the old off the ball on newstalk-and one in the eye for DOB

"The multi-award winning team of Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early, Ciaran Murphy, Simon Hick and Mark Horgan – who parted company with Newstalk two months ago having presented the Off the Ball show for a number of years – return to broadcasting as Second Captains @ The Irish Times"

FloatingVoterTralee

All rather niche, though, isn't it - granted online media is the future, but it still can't match the ratings of radio?

mido

All rather niche, though, isn't it - granted online media is the future, but it still can't match the ratings of radio?
maybe but would expect that podcast will rapidly top downloads charts

Analyzer

pane et circensus....

johnfás

Not what they were hoping for I would imagine. Can't see their earning potential from a weekly podcast being as good.

zakalwe1

thats a shame...i won't be tuning in... the banter and instant reaction will be gone with the podcasts.

Sync

Not sure how it's one in the eye for Newstalk, it does in fact seem to bear out their position that the lads weren't going to get a better slot anywhere else. Football Weekly, Football Ramble and Sunday Supplement are all pretty great so we'll see how this compares.

Also: The Times are godawful at promoting their podcasts. I've looked for 2 minutes and can't find a page of their podcasts. The general promotion needs to be much stronger (Similar to the Guardian's) http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/podcasting

Do I blame DC for this? I think I shall. Also: Does this mean the boys will now report to DC???

Last edited:

SeanieFitz

Not sure how it's one in the eye for Newstalk, it does in fact seem to bear out their position that the lads weren't going to get a better slot anywhere else. Football Weekly, Football Ramble and Sunday Supplement are all pretty great so we'll see how this compares.

Also: The Times are godawful at promoting their podcasts. I've looked for 2 minutes and can't find a page of their podcasts. The general promotion needs to be much stronger (Similar to the Guardian's) Podcasting | Media | The Guardian

Do I blame DC for this? I think I shall. Also: Does this mean the boys will now report to DC???
I can't imagine that the podcast will be as popular as the Newstalk show was however I wish them well

The show has deteriorated since the team left, imo.

borntorum

It's only one show a week! Jaysus, what a come-down from three hours every evening.

Verhofstadt

Website
Niche it may be .. but I'm in the niche so I'm very pleased indeed.

Hope it does well.

daveL

pane et circensus....
out of interest; what interests you in your spare time?

reading novels by Shane Ross and Matt Cooper?

ballet?

Poring over bank balance sheets?

analyzing EU departmental budgets?

the Archers on Radio 4?

What?

What keeps Analyzer's interest when not on P.ie?

anewbeginning

I'll probably Iisten but not as often as before.

The moral is never resign your job on principle especially if you don't have a better one lined Up.

Crazy horse 6

It was a horrible show anyway. If I wanted to hear a group of lads ramble on about sport i'd go down the pub.

Verhofstadt

Website

Verhofstadt

Website
out of interest; what interests you in your spare time?

reading novels by Shane Ross and Matt Cooper?

ballet?

Poring over bank balance sheets?

analyzing EU departmental budgets?

the Archers on Radio 4?

What?

What keeps Analyzer's interest when not on P.ie?
Some questions are best unanswered.

Mikey Moloney

I'll probably Iisten but not as often as before.

The moral is never resign your job on principle especially if you don't have a better one lined Up.
Indeed. I just presumed that they had something else lined up before they quit. Because they sure as hell didn't have this thing in mind surely.