• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Off the Ball, Off the Radio

Mr. Magpie

According to thejournal.ie Off the Ball are Off the Radio

Off The Ball team leaves Newstalk · The Score

NEWSTALK HAVE TODAY parted company with the team behind the award-winning Off The Ball programme.
Presenter Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early, Ciaran Murphy, Simon Hick and Mark Horgan have resigned according to the station.
One of the best shows on radio, sad to see it go.
Their interviews were top notch. They covered many sports and always with a bit of wit.

FakeViking

Never heard it, don't listen to sport, but FIVE presenters? You must be joking. Even RTE don't have 5 people presenting one radio programme.

Grumpy Jack

Update on Indo site.

Entire Newstalk

Presenter Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early, Ciaran Murphy, Simon Hick and Mark Horgan have resigned according to the station after over a decade on the evening sports show.

The decision came after the crew requested to take an hour off the George Hook show and go on the air at 6.00pm but that was turned down by the station.

It’s thought station chiefs felt this did not make sense commercially and would also affect audience figures.
Some reaction on Twitter and the OTB Facebook page.

Will be interesting to hear what the lads themselves have to say.

wombat

One of the best shows on radio, sad to see it go.
Their interviews were top notch. They covered many sports and always with a bit of wit.
The program was too long, a lot of the chatter was just filling air time

Mr. Bumble

Great show. Will miss those presenters.

flavirostris

Easily one of the best shows on radio. Jewel in the crown of Newstalk. Major loss.

neiphin

that show and moncrieff were all that was worth listening too on shíttalk

Grumpy Jack

Never heard it, don't listen to sport, but FIVE presenters? You must be joking. Even RTE don't have 5 people presenting one radio programme.
McDevitt was the anchor, Murphy his sidekick, GAA man and comic foil, Early is the soccer corr and commentator, Hick the same for rugby, Horgan was the producer.

zakalwe1

to be honest, the latter hour of the hook show was pants....much preferred the off the ball lads.

and isn't there too much of george hook on that station....a daily evening show along with a "saturday sit-in" or some such nonsense...hastag overkill

zakalwe1

As much as I loved that show, adding another hour on to the existing format seems to be a crazy proposal.

I'm sorry that the OTB team have decided to resign.
i'd imagine that they wanted to shave an hour off the end for some other show to take its place....i find the futureshock show to be quite good, late in the evenings.

Mountaintop

Liked their show...and wouldn't be a diehard sports fan...but often found myself listening to it in the car on the way home........their interviews/commentary on the Lance Armstrong saga, and their support of Bernard Dunne through his career sticks in my memory. Their departure will surely hurt NT....although Ger Gilroy is good.

Mr. Bumble

They do an excellent history prog on Sunday and Orla Barry's arts prog good too. Apart from those and Off The Ball, there isn't much else. This is a big blow for Newstalk.

R

Ramps

WAY too much coverage of GAA and rugby.

As long as the weekly show with John Giles is kept on the station, it's no great loss.

Mr. Bumble

Liked their show...and wouldn't be a diehard sports fan...but often found myself listening to it in the car on the way home........their interviews/commentary on the Lance Armstrong saga, and their support of Bernard Dunne through his career sticks in my memory. Their departure will surely hurt NT....although Ger Gilroy is good.
Their interviews were excellent.

Mr. Magpie

i'd imagine that they wanted to shave an hour off the end for some other show to take its place....i find the futureshock show to be quite good, late in the evenings.
Off the Ball was the jewel in the crown, it was a masterpiece in evening talk radio.

Moncrieff, Future Shock and Talking History and sports Saturday were worth a listen.
The rest of the shows were poor.

I assume some other radio station will snap them up.

borntorum

The program was too long, a lot of the chatter was just filling air time
It was probably too long, but the show was often brilliant radio and the best on Newstalk. That station is in major trouble now.

I wonder has RTE poached them? It would be a bit of a strange move, given that they have just launched their own competitor on 2FM

Mr. Bumble

It was probably too long, but the show was often brilliant radio and the best on Newstalk. That station is in major trouble now.

I wonder has RTE poached them? It would be a bit of a strange move, given that they have just launched their own competitor on 2FM
Good point. It would hardly be worth their while leaving for a smaller station.