Official - British PM not confident unionism would win a border poll !!

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Well for years unionists and the British have said a border poll is unnecessary repeatedly alleging that they don't want one as it has little chance of passing they like to claim - well if that's the case put it to the test and put the issue aside for a decade or two then so. Even though at the Assembly elections 2017 there was only about 12,000 votes between unionism and nationalism. But under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement a border poll should be called when ""it appears likely... a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland"."

So clearly by May's statement below it's time one was called and no more excuses ?

Theresa May 'not confident' unionists would win Irish border poll
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/brexit/theresa-may-not-confident-unionists-would-win-irish-border-poll-reports-36908576.html

Mickeymac

Well for years unionists and the British have said a border poll is unnecessary repeatedly alleging that they don't want one as it has little chance of passing they like to claim - well if that's the case put it to the test and put the issue aside for a decade or two then so. Even though at the Assembly elections 2017 there was only about 12,000 votes between unionism and nationalism. But under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement a border poll should be called when "if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should …form part of a united Ireland."

So clearly by May's statement below it's time one was called and no more excuses ?

Theresa May 'not confident' unionists would win Irish border poll
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/brexit/theresa-may-not-confident-unionists-would-win-irish-border-poll-reports-36908576.html

Appears May is going for the unity option, certainly would save any further embarrassment for the British people over the "negotiating skills" of her and her totally incompetent team of Ministers.:lol:

Roll_On

Unfortunately for May, she's jus ta bit too early to completely dump NI, at present a vote for Irish unity requires at least a small % of protestant buy in and I just don't see that happening. Also unfortunately for May, she shot herself in the foot calling an election and making the DUP powerful.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Appears May is going for the unity option, certainly would save any further embarrassment for the British people over the "negotiating skills" of her and her totally incompetent team of Ministers.:lol:
Yes, one irony could be that so weak is May that the last thing she'll want is a border poll, remember Cameron sh!tting himself before the Scottish one :) We'll have to wait until Corbyn is PM - which wouldn't be long.

Mickeymac

Unfortunately for May, she's jus ta bit too early to completely dump NI, at present a vote for Irish unity requires at least a small % of protestant buy in and I just don't see that happening. Also unfortunately for May, she shot herself in the foot calling an election and making the DUP powerful.

Like most Brit politicos she is clueless regards Ireland but I reckon her advisors may have told her a unity vote could very well win even if held soon.

Mickeymac

Yes, one irony could be that so weak is May that the last thing she'll want is a border poll, remember Cameron sh!tting himself before the Scottish one :) We'll have to wait until Corbyn is PM - which wouldn't be long.

Time for change, I suspect, for Britain, as this present bunch of Tory AH's appear to have hopelessly divided the people.

Franzoni

Harry Potter is trying to offload NI to get his hard Brexit....

If the DUP didn't know where they stood before they do now....the longer the clock ticks the worse deal and terms they will get down the road........

Roll_On

Harry Potter is trying to offload NI to get his hard Brexit....

If the DUP didn't know where they stood before they do now....the longer the clock ticks the worse deal and terms they will get down the road........
I thought that myself. The DUP could now secure a fantastic deal for the PUL community of NI within a UI, including protected minority status, an Ulster scots act, an interpretive centre or two, maintaining a devolved parliament at Stormont, massive infrastructural investment, the works. They're risking becoming part of a UI with no concessions at all as time goes by.

Strawberry

I thought that myself. The DUP could now secure a fantastic deal for the PUL community of NI within a UI, including protected minority status, an Ulster scots act, an interpretive centre or two, maintaining a devolved parliament at Stormont, massive infrastructural investment, the works. They're risking becoming part of a UI with no concessions at all as time goes by.
As we established in the other thread, the DUP can't even seize the opportunity to secure a fantastic deal within the UK, never mind in a UI.

GDPR

"Endanger the unity of the United Kingdom" Has she only just noticed? That has been just one of the major problem presented by the Referendum Bill 2015.

I posted a thread on this in 2014.

GDPR

That ship has sailed very possibly. Also Arlene Foster is both incredibly arrogant and lacking in imagination so even the very thought of it isn't going to cross her mind and if it was suggested to her it would be quickly and charmlessly rejected.

Franzoni

The DUP aren't powerful.....they have painted themselves into a corner with their usual guff towards us that will make it very hard on them down the road when the Brits shaft them over Brexit.....

There is no way a small minority will be allowed to hold the 50 odd million in the rest of the UK to ransom especially in England and Wales where the main concentrations of Leave voters are....

The associated costs of running a border in the current climate in the UK who face many of the same social problems and challenges as us with the NHS and housing etc... will also not go down well when there is a natural border than would cost a lot less...

GDPR

I think it is hilarious.

All these Brexiteers constantly crowing that the EU will disintegrate soon can't see the very real threat that it will happen to the UK quite soon under their noses

former wesleyan

There'll be peaceful protests.

GDPR

The DUP aren't powerful.....they have painted themselves into a corner with their usual guff towards us that will make it very hard on them down the road when the Brits shaft them over Brexit.....

There is no way a small minority will be allowed to hold the 50 odd million in the rest of the UK to ransom especially in England and Wales where the main concentrations of Leave voters are....

The associated costs of running a border in the current climate in the UK who face many of the same social problems and challenges as us with the NHS and housing etc... will also not go down well when there is a natural border than would cost a lot less...
12 vote majority on voting down Leverson 2 in the Commons today: that was the enquiry into press manipulation and criming.

DUPers still useful.

Nordie Northsider

Much as I would love it, I don't think there's anything inevitable about Corbyn becoming PM. Yes, he did do much better than expected in the last General Election but he was still a long way off: he gained 30 seats but he needs to gain a lot more than that. True, the Lib Dems might do a bit better next time round - they could hardly do much worse - and maybe a coalition might be possible.

Still, May's admission about the border poll is a staggering statement to have made. Everything's happening a lot quicker than I ever thought possible.

Man or Mouse

That ship has sailed very possibly. Also Arlene Foster is both incredibly arrogant and lacking in imagination so even the very thought of it isn't going to cross her mind and if it was suggested to her it would be quickly and charmlessly rejected.
Very possibly indeed. Furthermore, Hasn't she put even more wind in it's sails when stating that she's outta there in the event of a UI?

michael-mcivor

The Scottish Government has just voted that they don’t consent to the Brits Brexit negotiations / deal-
The people here will vote to remove the British border in Ireland- ain’t nothing going to stop that from happening-

vivabrigada

Much as I would love it, I don't think there's anything inevitable about Corbyn becoming PM. Yes, he did do much better than expected in the last General Election but he was still a long way off: he gained 30 seats but he needs to gain a lot more than that. True, the Lib Dems might do a bit better next time round - they could hardly do much worse - and maybe a coalition might be possible.

Still, May's admission about the border poll is a staggering statement to have made. Everything's happening a lot quicker than I ever thought possible.
May's admiission is more than staggering, it's earth shattering from a Tory British PM given her reliance on the DUP for her job.
The games up.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com

May's admiission is more than staggering, it's earth shattering from a Tory British PM given her reliance on the DUP for her job.
The games up.
Agreed, it's not a done deal Corbyn will be next PM, but he's the best bet in coalition with the SNP. But May's admission about the border poll is indeed staggering, historic, boy is it hard to put a brave face on it in public if your an onionist !!

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies