Ógra - Future TD's

thegeneral

the name of the president of Maynooth at the time wont come to me but he was FF too.
That would be Seaghan Kearney, he was going to run in Cabra/Glasnevin in the locals but pulled out. He'll be a candidate in the future no doubt.

Barbarian

In the future couple of elections there will certainly be a large pool of 30somethings going for the Dail for Fianna Fail...John Connolly in Galway west would certainly be seen as a primary target for a nomination next time round, would certainly be a better prospect than the unlikeable Sen Cox. Donegal is heaving with young FF talent as already mentioned. Ambitious young turks were positively bristling at the Ard Fheis and Youth Conference, Roscommon also has one or two contenders. Anto Kelly has what it takes as does the mentioned Dublin centric few from the KBC. Cathal Crowe will most definitely be in the melting pot at a later stage.

brenners

[quote:1kzd4zqh]the name of the president of Maynooth at the time wont come to me but he was FF too.
That would be Seaghan Kearney, he was going to run in Cabra/Glasnevin in the locals but pulled out. He'll be a candidate in the future no doubt. [/quote:1kzd4zqh]

Good man, nmae would not come into my head.

meriwether

Any thoughts on Feargal Wall in Galway west? He got a bollix bad local election result.

brenners

Brid ban breatnach?

Danny

Website
www.greenparty.ie
Any thoughts on Feargal Wall in Galway west? He got a bollix bad local election result.
Don't bet me started on Feargal Wall......................too late, you've started me!
That man is evil, and a great asset to the opposition. He got about 1% in the Locals, and has gone all weird since. He has written 2 letters to the local papers criticising his constituents for not voting for him [I swear to God, he said that since FF provided a park in the area, they should have voted for him].The second letter was about how great FF was [fair enough] how great he is [getting a little weird] and how people who voted FG,Lab or Greens wasted a vote and how ungrateful the people of Galway were. Naturally, I wrote in and attacked him. Hasn't raised his head since!
BTW, did anyone see my letter in the IT today?

Conor

Yes! I did!

Poor Richard. When will you vultures stop picking at his foetid carcass??! :mad:

Danny

Website
www.greenparty.ie
[quote:356pe5el] BTW, did anyone see my letter in the IT today?
Yes! I did!

Poor Richard. When will you vultures stop picking at his foetid carcass??! :mad: [/quote:356pe5el]

Nope.My time attacking Shinners has turned my into a heartless killer.

CJH

Speaking of FFers in SUs, I would hope that the great Francis Kieran of TCD fame might make an appearance on the national stage sometime in the future.

CJH

I then remembered that Francis has no longer any affiliation to Fianna Fáil
Ahem...<cough>...<splutter>

Of course he doesn't, how silly of me

CJH

Now, now, Francis would never display the pettiness, bad jokes and rank ignorance that I regularly do on this site.

If I ever was anything, it was no more than the Pete Best to Kieran's John Lennon

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
Oh, I saw the letter (and thought it was funny that it was still running) but I didn't cop that it was you. That's what you get for spreading your filthy "Danny" lies.

For more Waghorne-related fun, here's his response, which will be published in tomorrow's Times:

Madam,

Not worthy of a reply.

Yours etc.

Richard Von Waghorne
Pro-Consul
The "Freedom" Institute
Waterloo Road
Dublin 2

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
Here's my view of the emerging personalities in Fianna Fáil that might be worth looking out for in the future. Generally anyone marked with an * is over Ógra age but under 30.

NORTH EAST STARS

In the Donegal, I’d be very surprised if Cllr. Brendan Byrne*, Cllr. Tiernan Brady*, Michael Shovlin or Eamonn O’Lionann, didn’t make it into the Dáil at some point in the future, they’re all very strong operators – Byrne really showed his metal is the Locals polling almost 1500 1st preferences.

In Sligo / Leitrim one would have to put smart money on poll topping Cllr. Jude Devins*, Former Mayor of Sligo to feature strongly in the future – he polled 15% of the vote in his ward dispite being shafted by his local organisation. Sen. Marc McSharry* is probably a dead cert for the Dáil in the very near future.

The basket case that is Mayo FF – has some bright stars, Dara Calleary* probably being the brightest, his influential status as a poll topping member of the National Executives’ Committee of 15, combined with the demise of the Flynn dynasty should see him regain the Calleary seat some time down the line. Other notables here are Henry Horken (Mayo Ógra CDC) & Ger McCale (Vice Chair KBC). Unfortunately the organisation in Mayo doesn’t have a great record in promoting younger candidates – as can be seen by the results in this year’s Local Elections.

Cllr. John Connelly polled superbly in Galway’s ward No.2 and one would have to tip him for a future Dáil seat, Fearghal Wall (Former Chair of Cumann de Barra) didn’t make much of an impact this time round but shouldn’t be completely ruled out for the future. Lorcan Price (NYC) is also worth a mention.

Cllr. Orla Leyden would have to be viewed as a contender in Roscommon, as would Phelim O’Neill (Former Ógra VC and Chair of FF NUIG). Denis Ryan (Former National Executive Member) is also in the running for at least a council seat in the long term.

There are several heavy hitters in Clare, most notably Cllr Cathal Crowe from Killaloe & Sen. Timmy Dooley*, they are supported by a wave of subs, Tom Malone, Declan O’Loughlin & Cllr. Tom Reidy.

Any review of Cavan / Monaghan would have to include Cllr. John O’Brien (Monaghan), Cllr Shane O’Reilly (Ballyjamesduff), Michael Smyth* (Committee of 15), Lorcan McAdam, Cathal Lee (ex KBC Chair) and perhaps John Paul Feeley (National Executive Member). Not to forget our old friend John McGuirk (included for the crack :) )

EAST STARS:

James Carroll is a solid bet in Louth, he’s a rising star in the UCD SU – one to watch. Brendan Kelly (ex Wolf Tone Cumann) shouldn’t be over looked here either.

In Meath the front runners would have to be Cllr Shane Cassells (Navan) and Robert Rooney (Ogra NUIG). For a real outside bet look out for Sean Smith (UCD SU / KBC).

Cllr. Lisa McDonald* (ex KBC) and Cllr. Malcolm Byrne* (ex KBC) would both be strong contenders in Wexford, don’t really see any of the new crew making a mark here just yet. Same deal in Wicklow, though Tom Keogh (National Executive) is making some impression.

Kildare Ógra is really an extension of the University, it used to be controlled by Denis Ryan, but he’s since moved on to bigger things. Deirdre Moran (HQ Staff, ex NYC) would be a good prospect here as would Cllr. Martin Miley (Athy).

Laois / Offaly would be a hard nut to crack for any young candidate with as the 3 current TDs have a fair few years left. That said it would be unfair not to mention Cllr. Sinead Moylan Ryan & Cllr. Peter Ormond.

Cllr. Andrew McGuinness will probably follow his Dad in to the Dail representing Carlow / Kilkenny. Joe Morgan (ex National Executive) would probably be a fair bet too, though some of the new crew are showing promise as well.

DUBLIN STARS

South Of The Liffey
Gerry Horken* (ex KBC) polled very well in Stillorgan and may possibly replace Minister Brennan when the time comes. Young Charlie Ardagh* (Crumlin) is probably a cert for the Dail when his Dad retires. Another rising star in Dublin is Cllr. Trevor Gilligan (Clondalkin) who will probably make it to Leinster House one day. Jimmy Healy (NYC – DS), Ed O’Brien, (ex NYC) and Pierce O’Leary are also a potential contenders in the south west Dublin area.

Cllr. Cormac Devlin (Dun Laoghaire) did extremely well in June polling over 1700 1st preferences, but he may have to wait some years before an opening appears in his patch. Other potential Dáil candidates in Dun Laoghaire are Peter Doris (Chair KBC), Michael Clark (UCD SU), Jennifer Allen (UCD SU), Shane Holden (DL Ogra) and Luke Martin (National Executive).

North of the Liffey, Marguerite Fitzpatrick (North Inner City, ex DCU SU) was very unlucky not to take a seat in June. Herself, Cllr. Deirdre Heaney* (Clontarf) & Cllr Mary Fitzpatrick (Cabra & National Executive) are some of FF’s best young female performers in the Country! In Malahide Cllr Darragh O’Brien may make it to the Dáil some day. Other future prospects on the Northside are Clive Ahern (Son of Morris) & “Red” Ken Cleary (ex DCU, Ballbriggan).

SOUTH STARS

In Cork, Ógra’s brightest star has to be Cllr. Michael McGrath* (Carrigaline). He is a TD & Minister in waiting; the bookies have probably stopped accepting bets! Other contenders here are Cllr. Aindrias Moynihan (Macroom), Cllr. Gary O’Flynn (Son of Noel) and Cllr. Vivian O`Callaghan (Bantry). Other prospects here are Emmet O`Halloran (National Executive) & Michael Joseph Griffin (UCC SU).

In Waterford, Lorraine Clifford (National Executive) & Robert Stone would have to be seen as strong contenders.

Cllr. Siobhan Ambrose & Cllr. Michael Smith are probably dead certs in Tipp. Nicholi Cody (NYC) & Sarah Staunton (National Executive & UL) are prospects here too.

Limerick and Kerry have several strong prospects. Anto Kelly is a very popular member of the National Executive and would have to be mentioned in any review of South Kerry. Cllr Norma Foley* & Cllr Anne McEllistrim* will probably continue in the footsteps of their respective families in Kerry North. While in Limerick one would have to mention Cllr. Niall Collins*.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Any how thats my two cents, I'd welcome feed back.

BunnyBoiler

Good comprehensive round-up TKwhiskers, you seem to have included anyone who's anyone in the cadets of destiny!
Hard to argue with many of your predictions and two dead certs are included in my own constituency - Jude Devins and Marc Mc Sharry...who according to those in the know seems to have gone down a storm at the recent Youth Conference and looks like a shoe-in for Ógra Chairperson.
There seems to be alot of Ógra talent in Galway west Fergal Wall was a bit bruised after his LE dribbing and its hard to see him wanting (or being allowed back) for another run. Undoubtedly John Connolly as the youngest member of Galway City council and only one of two Galway city FF councillors will get the nod next time round - might even give Frank Fahy a shock.

[Edited on 9/1/2005 by BunnyBoiler]

brenners

Marguerite Fitzpatrick (North Inner City, ex DCU SU)

She wont thank you for that, she is ex overall president of DIT, 2001 - 2002.

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
The future for those up and coming in Ógra looks relatively good, especially when compared to those of about ten years ago. The hammering the in the locals and the probable large fall in Dáil seats will present oppurtunities for those ambitious within the organisation.

If I was a 'young gun' in Ógra I would be hoping for two things, firstly, a poor General Election and a change of leadership. Berite Ahern has not shown any huge desire to promote young talent, generally or in the Parliamentary Party, and if he were out of the picture, and much of the deadwood cleared out in the County Council and the Dáil, I would be confident of seeing some of the above names progress rapidly.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
Marguerite Fitzpatrick (North Inner City, ex DCU SU)

She wont thank you for that, she is ex overall president of DIT, 2001 - 2002.
Apologies – Its hard to keep track of all her wheelings and dealings!

Marc Mc Sharry...who according to those in the know seems to have gone down a storm at the recent Youth Conference and looks like a shoe-in for Ógra Chairperson.
Not this time (Taoiseach wants a TD) word in the PP is: its between Cecilia Keaveney (Donegal North East) and Barry Andrews (Dunlaoire), with people in Drumcondra betting heavily on Cecilia.

New Threads

Most Replies