• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Oh Gawd...it's Embarrassing. Government Pledges €250k to help storm victims in US.

ruserious

Yep, you heard right.

Gilmore has pledged €250,000 to help storm victims in the US after hurricane Sandy.
He informed Secretary Clinton today at the OSCE summit in Dublin.
Separately, the Department of Foreign Affairs is to make a quarter of a million euro available to Irish communities in the United States hit by Storm Sandy.
It was discussed by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Mr Gilmore during talks on the fringe of the OSCE meeting.
Foreign ministers attend OSCE summit in Dublin - RTÉ News

This is just down-right embarrassing. Remember the US is hoping to save $560 Billion dollars in this funding cliff through cuts savings and taxes.
250k is just a token amount which should be looked at in embarrassment. It would save face not to give anything at all. In fact, it draws attention to our problems that that is all we can dig out.

A community centre for victims which would not cost much more should be built by the government and at least you will have a tangible structure and service at the end. 250k in cash will blow away in the wind.

Last edited:

Happytolearn

It doesn't seem too tiny to me

Glucose

That ************************************ Gilmore shouldn't be wasting our tax money like that.

Out of touch ************************************************

Dunlin3

And if the shoe was on the other foot you would say - no thanks I couldn't possibly?

Happytolearn

Please...it will hardly rebuild one house. Look at the devastation over there.
It will be put to good use - I'm not sure how much you'd like us to send? I do believe we should always give to worthy causes - but in line with our own pressing issues.

chriskavo

It doesn't seem too tiny to me
It's not - thats two years salary for him and almost three years for the job he got his missus in the dept of education.

statsman

Yep, you heard right.

Gilmore has pledged €250,000 to help storm victims in the US after hurricane Sandy.

This is just down-right embarrassing. Remember the US is hoping to save $560 Billion dollars in this funding cliff through cuts savings and taxes.
250k is just a token amount which should be looked at in embarrassment. It would save face not to give anything at all. In fact, it draws attention to our problems that that is all we can dig out.
There's something embarrassing here rus, but it isn't the donation. ;)

EoinMag

Yep, you heard right.

It's tokenism and considering our position I'd say it's fine.

There are complaints about charity budgets, this is an acknowledgement that charity should begin at home.

Andy4571

Better to give nothing than an embarrassingly small amount.

Happytolearn

It will be put to good use - I'm not sure how much you'd like us to send? I do believe we should always give to worthy causes - but in line with our own pressing issues.
Don't get me started on that - it makes me twitch terribly

ruserious

I would support the building of an Irish community centre in the area that will help with the victims. Gilmore should have pledged to build that no matter what the cost (Obviously within reason) and you are left with a tangible service at the end instead of a miserly sum which will go nowhere.

jmcc

There are complaints about charity budgets, this is an acknowledgement that charity should begin at home.
Yeah but for troughers like Gilmore, that means more money for politicians and their advisors.

Regards...jmcc

Edo

Ah - its good diplomacy

a couple of nations and states sent a few shiploads of grain and other stuff to Ireland during the famine - it wasn't a lot and in the overall scheme of things was tiny............but the gesture wasn't forgotten..........and this wont either.

God - we have little to be complaining about..........

the markets aren't worried either way on this - stop insulting our intelligence here

jmcc

God - we have little to be complaining about..........
Yeah - the rest of it was stolen in taxes to pay for political parasites like Gilmore and his pals. :)

Regards...jmcc

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

A quarter of a million... Even a 'doomer' like me won't give out about that. I hope it is put to good use and relief brought, at least, to even one family affected by the devastation.

Happytolearn

I would support the building of an Irish community centre in the area that will help with the victims. Gilmore should have pledged to build that no matter what the cost (Obviously within reason) and you are left with a tangible service at the end instead of a miserly sum which will go nowhere.
That wouldn't be much more than 250k - and maybe you're - at least it would be there for the future. Would it be a little selective though - only seeming to help the 'Irish American's' - Should Ireland not aim to help all Americans affected?

Skypeme

Please...it will hardly rebuild one house. Look at the devastation over there.
If the Yanks had any decency they would refuse the 'donation' considering the devastation Hurricane 'Gilmore' caused here yesterday.

I mean that money would pay one of Reilly's 'public service' consultant buddies for a full 9 months.

ruserious

That wouldn't be much more than 250k - and maybe you're - at least it would be there for the future. Would it be a little selective though - only seeming to help the 'Irish American's' - Should Ireland not aim to help all Americans affected?
I suppose that's true but a lot of those Irish Americans are also citizens so I guess they are of first priority. A centre would be a visible contribution. 250k in cash will go nowhere.