• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

O'Higgins Report published - Shatter and Callinan vindicated?

Utopian Hermit Monk

The full O'Higgins Report is available here: https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/ohiggins.pdf

First impression: Alan Shatter and Martin Callinan are owed a massive apology by Enda Kenny, who effectively wrecked their careers.

I'm surprised O'Higgins isn't more damning of Brian Purcell's bungling:

13.169 On 26th February 2013 the commissioner sent a report to the secretary general
addressing the letter of 20th December 2012.

13.170 Mr. Purcell told the commission the report was not furnished to the minister:
...but, yes, it should have gone to the minister as I said not necessarily when it came in straight away but following appropriate attention or consideration in the Garda division and then if it came back up the line it would have then in the normal course of events it would have either gone or there would have been a discussion with the minister at that stage but for whatever reason that didn’t happen.

former wesleyan

Callinan's public attitude to the whistleblowers remains disgraceful, no matter what the O'Higgins Report has to say.
As does his prompt by the current Commiss.

artfoley56

The full O'Higgins Report is available here: https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/ohiggins.pdf

First impression: Alan Shatter and Martin Callinan are owed a massive apology by Enda Kenny, who effectively wrecked their careers.

kenny, as usual, has made an own goal of an open goal; shatter and callinan should have been long gone before the guerin report. they wrecked their own careers

bazlad

Callinhan destroyed his own career by calling his subordinate disgusting n a public forum.
Shatter didn't publically rebuke him.

Im not kennys biggest fan, but if he sacked them, it was in the public interest.
if he didn't follow the correct process though......

Utopian Hermit Monk

Callinhan destroyed his own career by calling his subordinate disgusting n a public forum.
In fairness, Callinan did NOT say that his subordinates were disgusting.

He did say that he thought it was disgusting for the whistleblowers to make claims of corruption against other Gardaí:

[video=youtube;hZn_TdjvF-U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZn_TdjvF-U[/video]

O'Higgins concludes that the charges of corruption were unfounded.

bonkers

It's the same as every report made in Ireland. No one is responsible or held accountable. The really good news though is that there are no bent coppers in Ireland.

Utopian Hermit Monk

13.171 Mr. Shatter explained that he made enquiries throughout 2013 as to whether there were any developments on the matter. He told the commission that on the 26th February 2014, while preparing to give a speech in the Dáil, Mr. Purcell gave the report of the commissioner dated 26th February 2013 to him for the first time and:
...apologised for my not having seen it. I was taken aback that I hadn’t seen it ... And I read it. One of the problems with all this is ex post facto rationalisation and I don’t want to engage in that, but if I could put it this way: There was content in that letter which if I had seen before would have given rise, I think, to my asking further questions. That was my perception of it when I saw it. I couldn’t understand why I hadn’t been given it earlier.
The Minister is given this key letter a full year after the Commissioner sent it to the Secretary General!

Mr. Purcell, meanwhile, was moved sideways, to the HSE, and seems to have retained his €180,000 salary!

freewillie

Perhaps they should have got someone biased to do it so the result would be acceptable to you

Sister Mercedes

The fact this mullarkey wasn't found to be corrupt shows us just how high the threshold for corruption is in the Irish establishment.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com

Im not kennys biggest fan, but if he sacked them, it was in the public interest.
if he didn't follow the correct process though......
There isn't a correct process by which you can sack a Garda Commissioner. Yet the man clearly had to go!

fredflintstone

He did say that he thought it was disgusting for the whistleblowers to make claims of corruption against other Gardaí
What a load of cobblers! You sound like me when I say to my kids "OK, you're not bold but you've done a very bold thing!"

owedtojoy

Callinan's public attitude to the whistleblowers remains disgraceful, no matter what the O'Higgins Report has to say.
Yes, the "whistleblowers = disgusting" remark went too far.

Callinan in the end was too "old school". The changes he was ushering in were not radical enough, and did not
go deep enough.

Shatter got the worse deal. But I think the reputational hits were damming - Kenny had stood by him for long enough.

My guess is that Shatter was lining himself up for a loss of his seat, anyway.

bazlad

He did say that he thought it was disgusting for the whistleblowers to make claims of corruption against other Gardaí:

[video=youtube;hZn_TdjvF-U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZn_TdjvF-U[/video]

O'Higgins concludes that the charges of corruption were unfounded.
you think that's what he meant?
haha

turdsl

The big mistake Kenny made was he should have sacked the minister for justice after his
disclosure on Prime Time of confidential information given to him by the Garda commissioner. The question now is can the Taoiseach survive all the blunders.

daveL

It reads like a proper whitewash to me

nothing to see here lads

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies