• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Oireachtas Committee meet Loyalists in Belfast

slippy wicket

Couldn't agree with you more, no matter what you are doing or how you feel , you are always much better to keep talking.

factual

Minister attends DUP conference: is our relationship with unionists changing?

BBC News - Irish minister Simon Coveney to address DUP conference

I see FG is sending a minister to address the DUP conference. A first.

Historically we in Dulin have tended to regard the unionist political leadership with little warmth and with suspicion. However since the GFA there has been more need to work with them on various levels. Are our attitudes to unionists changing - do we in Dublin regard them more positively now than 20 years ago? Are their attitudes to us changing? Does this visit by FG indicate that there is a thaw going on? Does this make a UI more likely?

The Preacher

It's a perfectly natural development given the course of events since the GFA and can only be a good thing. Of course the usual suspects will be along in a second I'm sure trotting out the usual shi*e about Blueshirt collaborators etc.

As far as making a UI more likely, though, forget it. Why would well off Catholic middle class families want to unite with an economically and morally bankrupt state which still elects barely literate buffoons to office ? We have nothing to offer them.

realistic1

BBC News - Irish minister Simon Coveney to address DUP conference

I see FG is sending a minister to address the DUP conference. A first.

Historically we in Dulin have tended to regard the unionist political leadership with little warmth and with suspicion. However since the GFA there has been more need to work with them on various levels. Are our attitudes to unionists changing - do we in Dublin regard them more positively now than 20 years ago? Are their attitudes to us changing? Does this visit by FG indicate that there is a thaw going on? Does this make a UI more likely?
Of course not, it is a FG Minister.

collina

firefly123

It's a perfectly natural development given the course of events since the GFA and can only be a good thing. Of course the usual suspects will be along in a second I'm sure trotting out the usual shi*e about Blueshirt collaborators etc.

As far as making a UI more likely, though, forget it. Why would well off Catholic middle class families want to unite with an economically and morally bankrupt state which still elects barely literate buffoons to office ? We have nothing to offer them.
Their buffoons just have posher accents. Anyway I'd welcome some stern Calvinist tendencies in the new and improved Dail.

mctree

So long as there is no pandering or arse licking by the Irish representatives I don't mind the visit to DUP headquarters. We are the bigger side on this island. Britain may be bigger than us but we deal with them in London not Belfast. Northern Ireland is pretty insignificant.

Popular Threads

Most Replies