• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Oireachtas TV

scath

Hi guys..my first post. Well, Oireachtas TV is now on the Digital Aerial TV (Digital Terrestrial Television Trial) in Dublin and Louth. I gather tis encrypted for now. Tis in the Broadcasting Bill due any day now to go before the Houses. I find it very interesting. Have a blog on DTV see:http://irishdigitaltvfan.wordpress.com with some screenshots. Unfortunately that its encyrpted for now as if ya bought at MPEG4 compatible box like Humax HDCI2000T. Teletext not sorted yet. Prob is its hard to get software working with all boxes when it comes to data. Picture and sound, no problem. Teletext etc..harder. Dunno how to post images here. The Img button doesn't seem to work.

A, Oireachtas TV+TV3 Today (proposed news channel in OneVision DTT bid) ie 24hr Irish news channel will be great for political fans like us when we got time to watch it!!! Next up, put is up on satellite and live window on the rte website.

scath

Haha..that's a catchy name TD TV. Hehe..its a funny one. But the channel will be covering the Seanad, commmittes, in time local government and also other parliaments, in upcoming Broadcasting Bill. Also a free-to-air Films Channel covering non hollywoord films (world and irish films) has been added to the Bill draft.

Digital Aerial TV (DTT) will be rolled out during 2009. So for now ya can buy the box but need the Dept of Comms smartcard to unencypt the channel to view. No doubt that'll change once they refine the channel content. Its only in test phase now, getting everything working correctly etc...developing things etc..
Whatuwant2007 said:
They really should have called it TD TV

S

Starkadder

Hello Scath. Welcome to Politics.ie.

Oireachtas TV sounds interesting,giving us a chance to view our leaders in action-kind of like C-Span
in the US or BBC Parliament in Britain.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
when is tv3 going to become digital and get itself a proper website with archives of news etc.

well i suppose oreieachtas tv has way to go to be develope more then just streaming glad to here it will use cspan too.

I hope they do it the RTE do when they cover something in the Dail- you get the actual speeches followed by some form of analysis/explanation. The content needs to be framed for it to be more easily digestible by the general public. In any case, it is a brilliant idea.

scath

Just to add. RTE, TG4, TV3, Channel 6 with Irish Word Film channel and Oireachtas Channel on digital aerial is planned to be launched proper between January 2009 and August 2009 depending on who wins. Also these and disapora TV for UK satellite viewers (irish only programmes) will be launched on March 17th 2009. Diaspora TV has been announed by the Minister recently and RTE on the etenders website have advertised for transponder uplink services.

And don't mind the silly reporters who say throw out your aerial. The got confused!!! Nope, just need to buy a DTT box or DTT-Cable or DTT-Satellite combo box. FTA and pay options will be available. Retail could be between free box (Boxer Bid), €99/€159 depeding on pay tier (Easy TV) and under €99 with Onevision bid.

I'm not sure when TV3 will launch and if it will if its OneVision stake bid makes the launch of that conditional. I'd imagine its going to happen anyways. I expec that ITN or Sky will be providing the international news. Sky supply Five. I did email the idea to ITN a few weeks ago. Sky since. Dunno. Maybe they'll go it alone with its big backer on international news. I doubt it though. I did a thesis on the topic. An Irish news channel without an international partner is unfeasible. I expect what'll happen is TV3 Today (TV3 & Sky) RTE News (RTE&ITN as they share Euronews in common). Nowt to stop RTE News and BBC but BBC are well committed already so probably have enough on their plate. This would suit Sky better than Sky News Ireland I'd guess.

scath

Am referring to TV3 Today (news channel) as regards when, not TV3 as is.

scath

Barry Andrews the Comms Committe guy has said as much. I think analysis for the evening yes...i have said the same. Oireachtas TV is live at the moment on the digital aerial trial so RTÉ are doing it. And Oireachtas TV is mentioned in the Broadcasting Bill.

irishpeoplearewhingers said:
I hope they do it the RTE do when they cover something in the Dail- you get the actual speeches followed by some form of analysis/explanation. The content needs to be framed for it to be more easily digestile by the general public. In any case, it is a brilliant idea.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Last edited:

Belodedici

Noticed that on channel 207 on UPC, stated that the Oireachtas is presently in recess but no info on when the Dail returns, probably just to prevent people getting annoyed at the length of their summer holidays

Breanainn

Has finally appeared on eVision as channel 504, so it appears that Saorview is now the only platform not to carry the channel.

Dorcha

I'm sort of behind the times as regards Sky boxes. All I know is that on my system Oireachtas TV is grouped with the news channels; it's channel 574.

Watching it the other day as Ivana Backic was delivering a speech and in the rown of seats behind her was that guy with the poor eyesight and darting eyes who has appeared VB (Condon?). He was holding a tablet in his hands and moving his fingers across it like mad. Occasionally he would stick his face so close to the screen that his nose must have touched it. Sometimes he would smile and tilt the screen sideways so that the man sitting a seat away from him could see it. Whatever he was looking at, he was paying absolutely no attention at all to what Backic was saying.

Ren84

Actually watched a few minutes earlier on Sky. The EPG number is a bit weird. Since we don't get BBC Parliament on Sky Ireland maybe "Oireachtas TV" should use their channel number.

BTW let's hope they provide reruns of the great lock in from Thursday. :)