• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Oireachteas Debate on Alcohol sponsorship of sport

jpc

Just listening to the Last Word.
Eamon Coughlan and Eamon Moloney (Lab)
Debating todays session
John Delaney (FAI )laid the consequences of sponsorship removal on the line as he saw them.
Coughlan made a very valid observation about Nestle being forced to remove sponsorship of children's athletics.
As a consequence there has been no sponsorship since.
Matt Cooper made the same point about the removal of tobacco sponsorship from snooker.
Moloney spluttered and couldn't respond to either point.
That Moloney character really struck me as someone who doesn't listen to anyone.
A microcosm of the puritian priggish streak is developing in the current body politic.
Loads of prohibition and censorship planned, and to hell with peoples responsibility to be responsible for themselves and their own actions.
Be seen to do something for the idiot electorates benefit.
And nothing else

LamportsEdge

I wouldn't worry about this one. A certain large alcohol beverage company will spike this lot fairly quickly.

asset test

I have a vague (vague!) recollection that Booze was served for a certain rugby match on Good Friday a couple of Year's ago.

Musgrave park maybe.

But I am probably hallucinating. As usual.

Last edited:

wishywashy

I have a vague (vague!) recollection that Booze was served for a certain rugby match on Good Friday a couple of Year's ago.

Thomnd Park maybe.

But I am probably hallucinating. As usual.

No youre not. But of course certain members of the establishment like to ingratiate themselves with the main sporting organisations and drinks companies. No favours asked or expected you understand like a free bottle here and there or complimentary tickets occasionally. Anybody see the hard necked John Delaney pleading that the drinks companies sponsorship be not withdrawn? This from a guy who was filmed in Poland last year half pissed among Irish fans. Makes you wonder what his motivation is.

james5001

Marketing is misinformation.

asset test

No youre not. But of course certain members of the establishment like to ingratiate themselves with the main sporting organisations and drinks companies. No favours asked or expected you understand like a free bottle here and there or complimentary tickets occasionally. Anybody see the hard necked John Delaney pleading that the drinks companies sponsorship be not withdrawn? This from a guy who was filmed in Poland last year half pissed among Irish fans. Makes you wonder what his motivation is.
Yeah, wasnt sure if Musgrave or Thomond, but do recall the rules were changed. For that match.

But the rest of us had to obey the Good Friday alcohol rules.

That's my point.

jpc

Just saw the live procedings.
Pity the politicians weren't so diligent and forceful with the banks.

D

Dylan2010

Im seeing it now with my kids, soccer is a cess pit of dodgy advertising and product placement. The best thing you can do is to teach the next generation to treat professional "sports" like WWF and actually get out and play the damn games. The politicans are for the birds though

publicrealm

I wouldn't worry about this one. A certain large alcohol beverage company will spike this lot fairly quickly.
I'm not so sure.

The Labour idealogues are gaggin for this. Doesn't matter (in the slightest) if it is totally counter productive - it will be victory over the evil capitalists.

They need to take their victories when they can.

publicrealm

What - free drink - are you serious?

jpc

I'm not so sure.

The Labour idealogues are gaggin for this. Doesn't matter (in the slightest) if it is totally counter productive - it will be victory over the evil capitalists.

They need to take their victories when they can.
It really does seem to be as petty and unsubstantial you say.
Labour are the social engineering party.

wishywashy

Yeah, wasnt sure if Musgrave or Thomond, but do recall the rules were changed. For that match.

But the rest of us had to obey the Good Friday alcohol rules.

That's my point.

The rest of us,otherwise known as the little people.

jpc

The rest of us,otherwise known as the little people.
Labour would do away with Good Friday as well if they thought it might make people notice them for a moment.

moralhazard77

Alcohol sponsorship ban would hurt sports - Cttee - RTÉ News

A report by the Oireachtas Committee on Transport and Communications has said a ban on the sponsorship of sporting events by the drinks industry should not be introduced.

The report said the main sporting organisations in Ireland would suffer inordinately if such a ban was implemented, with no obvious source of alternative funding.
It noted that there was anxiety among medical experts to have the association between alcohol and sport severed.
However, it said that in the current economic climate the main sporting organisations would suffer if a ban was introduced.
Good decision for once from the politicians. For once they keep their beak out and prevent more economic damage.

Last edited:

slippy wicket

A good decision. Its a weird day when I agree with dessie Ellis, but he gave a very good performance on newstalk defending the report from the Puritanical rant of the ideologue in the studio.

Colin M

I have said this before, a lot of sporting events and teams are sponsored by betting agencies, of which several people gamble and lose a lot of money through. Why has alcoholic brands on its own become the new big baddie, for our politicians?

jpc

I have said this before, a lot of sporting events and teams are sponsored by betting agencies, of which several people gamble and lose a lot of money through. Why has alcoholic brands on its own become the new big baddie, for our politicians?
A very very good observation.
And zero indignation from those that know better about that which is bad for the public.
Yet!:shock2::shock2::shock:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies