Ok to call DUP dinosaurs

ruman

Those smug liberals love to sneer at religions (other them Muslims of course).

The vitriol directed towards the democratically elected representatives of the Unionist community here would suggest they are right to want to remain part of the UK.

mac tíre

The vitriol directed towards the democratically elected representatives of the Unionist community here would suggest they are right to want to remain part of the UK.
You haven't been paying attention. The vitriol is coming from the British people now - you know, the real British people. The remark was made by a British politician - a real British politician (she is not alone). The DUP is not a religion - nor is Unionism.

You aren't very good at this.

Craigmór

You haven't been paying attention. The vitriol is coming from the British people now - you know, the real British people. The remark was made by a British politician - a real British politician (she is not alone). The DUP is not a religion - nor is Unionism.

You aren't very good at this.
This made me laugh....

raetsel

When I was a lot younger far-right crackpots used to obsess about reds under their beds, now they've moved on to Muslims behind the curtains................
The only thing that ever changes for them is the focus for their fears. :)

Hunter-Gatherer

When I was a lot younger far-right crackpots used to obsess about reds under their beds, now they've moved on to Muslims behind the curtains................
i am only frightened of knackers

ruman

The only thing that ever changes for them is the focus for their fears. :)
Don't recall the DUP setting off bombs in Manchester recently.

Talk Back

Frankie Boyle :lol:

[video]https://www.facebook.com/david.J.lennon/videos/10211391656125920/[/video]

DexterGreen22

English liberals tend to sneer at the DUP's beleifs but they wouldn't dream of sneering at the beliefs of Muslim politicians in the same manner.

The antifa, pretend oppressed, permanently outraged middle class students who wouldn't dream of criticising the Quran have just discovered the DUP and it is open season.

So, okay, some in the DUP belive in creationism, they believe that the earth is only 6,000 years old but is that any more or less ridiculous than a Muslim politician believing that some invisible deity was talking to some goat herder in the desert 1,400 years ago?

I can't understand why England's liberal atheists tend to show a fair amount of respect to one set of beliefs and openly mock the other. Surely, if you are a liberal atheist the Quran and some DUPers beliefs are equally ridiculous?

Lord Talbot

Let me say two things in response to the, I am sure, sincere point of order from the right hon. Gentleman. First, the use of the word in question is not unparliamentary; it is a matter of taste as to its desirability or otherwise. Secondly, I know how robust a character the right hon. Gentleman is, and I would simply say that the word in question refers to a species that survived for many, many millions of years.
Glorious

james toney

Why was the DUP offended to be called Dinosaurs when it doesnt believe in them?

raetsel

Don't recall the DUP setting off bombs in Manchester recently.
And presumably you've never heard about their terrorist wing, Ulster Resistance, importing illegal weapons back in the late 1980's which were then used to murder over a hundred innocent people? No of course you don't, because you are a bigoted fool who only sees what hhe wants to see.
It is far too easy to show people like you up as ignorant troglodytes who haven't got a clue what they are talking about. :)

No DUP apology for Ulster Resistance, despite gun-running leading to murders - Belfast Newsletter

Last edited:

raetsel

English liberals tend to sneer at the DUP's beleifs but they wouldn't dream of sneering at the beliefs of Muslim politicians in the same manner.

The antifa, pretend oppressed, permanently outraged middle class students who wouldn't dream of criticising the Quran have just discovered the DUP and it is open season.

So, okay, some in the DUP belive in creationism, they believe that the earth is only 6,000 years old but is that any more or less ridiculous than a Muslim politician believing that some invisible deity was talking to some goat herder in the desert 1,400 years ago?

I can't understand why England's liberal atheists tend to show a fair amount of respect to one set of beliefs and openly mock the other. Surely, if you are a liberal atheist the Quran and some DUPers beliefs are equally ridiculous?
A more pertinent question might be why right-wingers always appear to feel so persecuted? :)
You're conflating two issues. Caroline Lucas called them dinosaurs yesterday because they are environmental barbarians. It had nothing to do with their religious beliefs. Besides mainstream Muslims (and that is who we are talking about) have never tried to foist any of their stranger religious beliefs on the rest of society. The DUP on the other hand.......................

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2010/may/26/northern-ireland-ulster-museum-creationism

Northern Ireland's born-again Christian culture minister has called on the Ulster Museum to put on exhibits reflecting the view that the world was made by God only several thousand years ago.

Nelson McCausland, who believes that Ulster Protestants are one of the lost tribes of Israel, has written to the museum's board of trustees urging them to reflect creationist and intelligent design theories of the universe's origins.
And that is before we even delve into their long standing links with terrorist groups.

redmonite

We had a referendum on gay marriage in this country which passed 65/35 , even if you are generous a similar plebiscite in northern Ireland and Britain would be passed 75/25 , that means over 10 m people on the two islands don't have a party that represents them apart from the DUP. That's scary for democracy. ,(Ps l voted yes)

ruman

And presumably you've never heard about their terrorist wing, Ulster Resistance, importing illegal weapons back in the late 1980's which were then used to murder over a hundred innocent people? No of course you don't, because you are a bigoted fool who only sees what hhe wants to see.
It is far too easy to show people like you up as ignorant troglodytes who haven't got a clue what they are talking about. :)

No DUP apology for Ulster Resistance, despite gun-running leading to murders - Belfast Newsletter
Did you read the article you posted ?

The DUP had claimed to have severed links with the group in 1987 after it became clear that it was importing guns
The Ombudsman’s report reveals police intelligence that in December 1986 – the month after it had been set up by senior DUP figures – senior members of Ulster Resistance began collaborating with the UVF and UDA to jointly import weapons.It does not state whether the group’s political backers at that point had any knowledge of that activity.

I'd assume if there was evidence the DUP had knowledge of guns being imported the Ombudsman's report would have stated that. It doesn't.
Perhaps they did. If you have evidence you should post it or better yet inform the Ombusdman.

Article says the Ulster Resistance was set up in Nov 1986 and the DUP severed relations in 1987. When did Jarry sever relations with the IRA ?

Thank you.

Last edited:

james toney

Troglodytes would have been more apt .
Negotiations with the DUP have now taken longer than many of its members believe it took God to create the world.

vivabrigada

The DUP had claimed to have severed links with the group in 1987 after it became clear that it was importing guns
The Ombudsman’s report reveals police intelligence that in December 1986 – the month after it had been set up by senior DUP figures – senior members of Ulster Resistance began collaborating with the UVF and UDA to jointly import weapons.It does not state whether the group’s political backers at that point had any knowledge of that activity.

I'd assume if there was evidence the DUP had knowledge of guns being imported the Ombudsman's report would have stated that. It doesn't.
Perhaps they did. If you have evidence you should post it or better yet inform the Ombusdman.

Article says the Ulster Resistance was set up in Nov 1986 and the DUP severed relations in 1987. When did Jarry sever relations with the IRA ?

Thank you.
Did the DUP go to the cops when they realised guns were being imported for a sectarian murder campaign by loyalists, if not, why not? They were telling Nationalists to go to the cops on the IRA at the time.

raetsel

Thank you.
That is got to be the most naive assessment of the DUP's long-standing links to terrorism that I've read in some time. Ian Paisley was always careful to distance himself publicly from the monsters he created when they were finally exposed. He had already done exactly the same thing with the Ulster Protestant Volunteers over 20 years previously which he also founded and who were also exposed as a terrorist group.
Even if you are gullible enough to believe that Paisley accidentally founded a terrorist organisation once, surely you have the wit to realise that to achieve it twice and go on to suggest that it wasn't deliberate is just not credible. It would appear that you are not familiar with the maxim "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

You should do some basic research before rushing in to contradict things you know little or nothing about.

Your reference to Adams is just as idiotic. Pointing out the truth about the DUP does not a Shinner make.

raetsel

We had a referendum on gay marriage in this country which passed 65/35 , even if you are generous a similar plebiscite in northern Ireland and Britain would be passed 75/25 , that means over 10 m people on the two islands don't have a party that represents them apart from the DUP. That's scary for democracy. ,(Ps l voted yes)
No it is not. The anti gay lobby are free to start their own political party tomorrow if they want to, because of democracy. None of the big parties are going to waste any effort representing them (nor do they have any obligation to) for the simple reason that they want to appeal to a consensus. Your problem seems to be that you don't understand how democracy works. Single issue parties rarely have any success, probably partly because they only have any appeal for obsessives, which is why they are a rarity.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies