OLiver Callan

He is a ************************ing dose . Does he want to be
a) a serious political commentator
B ) a satarist
C ) a politician

Well make you mind up.
Al Franken has performed all three roles without any great difficulty.

P Ryan

Tubs the flimflam man probably now has nightmares of hosting next week's Late Late where Toxic Avenger and Callan come on as guests at the same time :D

derryman

I was out on Friday night (FF meeting after a book launch), and from what I'd heard, I actually expected RTE to have butchered it.
But it was there for me to see it! (Which surprised me).
Jaysus, it was the finest bit of commentary I've seen/heard broadcast in quite some time.
Especially the bit about FF ruining the economy?

Ardillaun

I think Tubridy tends to defend politics and politicians in general and he is always likely to pounce on lazy generalisations. With DOB, the problem is our libel laws obviously, where lazy generalisations could end up costing RTE and the taxpayer a lot of money. If he wants to talk about DOB and corruption then he should read the tribunal reports and educate himself on it, but all this utter shyte about Topaz is so far off the mark. It's easily ignored on p.ie but less so on broadcast TV.
The bizarre thing is that we are not free to discuss the Moriarty Report other than by direct quotation. Any drawing of obvious inferences is shut down here, there and everywhere.

That Kenny still calls O'Brien Denis shows how serious he is about investigating any of this.

Orbit v2

The bizarre thing is that we are not free to discuss the Moriarty Report other than by direct quotation. Any drawing of obvious inferences is shut down here, there and everywhere.
Eh? Where is this happening?

Astral Peaks

Yes , had a right go at FG and the last Government on the Late Late show on Friday night for their connections to Denis O'Brien , he mentioned O'Brien's alleged dodgy business past re the Moriarty tribunal findings etc but still somehow ends up winning loads of state contracts here once FG got back in to power.

Tubridy nearly wet himself going in to fire fighting mode trying to shut him up and telling us what a great person he and official RTE think O'Brien is mentioning his charity work etc , to which Callan responded with something along the lines of he would prefer if O'Brien paid his full taxes here rather than showing off with public donations.

I suspect Callan had not run that segment by Tubs or anyone within RTE before the show.
And it had nothing to do with a Murdoch stooge having a pop at INM?

bonkers

I think Tubridy tends to defend politics and politicians in general and he is always likely to pounce on lazy generalisations. With DOB, the problem is our libel laws obviously, where lazy generalisations could end up costing RTE and the taxpayer a lot of money. If he wants to talk about DOB and corruption then he should read the tribunal reports and educate himself on it, but all this utter shyte about Topaz is so far off the mark. It's easily ignored on p.ie but less so on broadcast TV.
He, who cannot be named, got a wonderful deal on Topaz. All at our expense.

Ardillaun

Eh? Where is this happening?
Eh, here and in the papers. Look at the number of times the exact quotes are used and the number of times freer interpretations of those quotes disappear from the record. I have never seen a public report in any country discussed with such care. That is libel chill at work.

bokuden

Spanner Island

He's unquestionably a great mimic. He's hit and miss as a satirist. He's below average as a political commentator and it's a mistake on the part of RTE to have him a double up as a (semi) serious commentator.
I dunno... seems like he simply tells it as it is... and that everyone knows it's like it is which explains the abject apathy that exists in this country with regard to our gutter 'democracy' and the self serving w*nkers who are part and parcel of it and the cronies they look after...

There's nothing wrong with telling it like it is... nothing at all... unless of course you're one of the people who's being talked about.

We need more of this kind of telling it like it is instead of the subservient sh!te we get constantly from a craven and largely compromised media that fails so consistently to hold the 'state' and its cronies to account...

Dasayev

A and B are combined on many US shows e.g. Bill Maher, Daily Show, Colbert.

That's an idea. Oliver Callan to do an Irish version of something like the Daily Show.

Lúidín

That's an idea. Oliver Callan to do an Irish version of something like the Daily Show.
He'd have to do it from one of Channel 4's offshore islands - Craggy Island is available.

Bea C

I get these email with some tweets from people I don't follow stuffed in (I'm sure yee know what I mean).
For some reason, I just opened one.
A tweet by a person proudly boasting a selfie with a 'man' already widely lampooned by Callan.

And I'm sure Deputy Noel won't be long in securing that honour also, judging from what I've heard of him :roll:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies