• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Oliver Peyton stated Ireland was 'an airport for meat.'

moralhazard77

On Channel 4 News tonight in a discussion on the quality of supermarket meat products, and referring to the Irish meat industry, Irish restauranteur Oliver Peyton (honorary OBE) stated Ireland was 'an airport for meat' and that he wouldn't buy Irish meat as it's probably from Indonesia.
I was shocked at his statement.

Is this a true or fair statement?

3 min 26 secs
http://www.channel4.com/news/horseme...ady-meal-video

Morgellons

Similar but different, I heard that the biggest port for landing fish in the South West was Cork Airport.

darkknight

Of course it isn't.

He seems to an example (of which there are many!!) of an Irishman who's really a wannabe Englishman, and courts acceptance 'over there' by flinging mud in this direction. Honorary OBE? More like a Dishonourable Twit! :mad:

teapot

Similar but different, I heard that the biggest port for landing fish in the South West was Cork Airport.
Would that be for the imports of 'River Cobbler' a species of farmed Vietnamese mud-river catfish? Or Bangladeshi Giant Prawns reared in sewers and full of growth hormone? Or any other number of types of fish which are grown in tanks, cages, etc., in Asia, given nice new names and brought into Europe to replace the original fish we used to eat, which have all been vaccumed up from the seas, much of it by Irish enterpreneurs* who are busy working to do the same to mackerel stocks right now.
P.S. *they sold most of it to Asians like the Japanese, anyway...

SKELLY

disgraceful comments considering the brits gave us the BSE scare and almost destroyed the continents farming industry with foot and mouth.

slippy wicket

Sounds like gobsh!tery of the highest order.

Mad as Fish

OK, lets cut through the crap.

1.Tesco claim that all their counter and pre-pack meat is traceable through codes on the labels and I have reason to believe them.

2. Ireland is an ideal beef producing country and exports something like 85% of beef grown, we also have the best grassland in Europe so what's the point of bringing it in?

3. All the local butchers list the source of their meat, quite often a farm in the vicinity.

4. What is the sense of flying beef anywhere? Its heavy and bulky, just too damn dear to shift around by plane.

And so on.....

The guy is a total tosser and just trying to jump on the horse meat bandwagon for a bit of cheap publicity.

Mad as Fish

disgraceful comments considering the brits gave us the BSE scare and almost destroyed the continents farming industry with foot and mouth.
Foot and mouth eh, now there's a whole pot of conspiracy theories and they ain't all loony tunes by any means.

ManOfReason

Chickens (or bleached reconstituted innards) coming home to roost. How many food scanals do you think a country can have before everybody refuses to buy what you are selling. The only thing that is surprising is the level of denial on this topic.

Schuhart

On Channel 4 News tonight in a discussion on the quality of supermarket meat products, and referring to the Irish meat industry, Irish restauranteur Oliver Peyton (honorary OBE) stated Ireland was 'an airport for meat' and that he wouldn't buy Irish meat as it's probably from Indonesia.
I was shocked at his statement.

I'd say a bit of an overstatement, but with some validity. There's a lot of misty-eyed nonsense talked about the food industry.

CSO statistics give some insight into the matter.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/externaltrade/2012/trade_oct2012.pdf

Just to pick one figure, in October 2012 Ireland exported about €265 millions worth of "meat and meat preparations". We imported about €72 millions worth. So we export about three times as much as we import - but it's probably a surprise to many that our imports are not negligible.

Mad as Fish

Chickens (or bleached reconstituted innards) coming home to roost. How many food scanals do you think a country can have before everybody refuses to buy what you are selling. The only thing that is surprising is the level of denial on this topic.
Perhaps we should differentiate between fresh meat and processed meat products. 'Mechanically reclaimed' meat is indeed pretty dreadful stuff but if you want cheap burgers for the BBQ then that's what you get.

Clanrickard

You are a total ignoramus. The reason Irish meat is so good is not just the quality of the grasslands it is the trace ability and thew strict controls involved. They are nit as strict in other countries. The reason we have scandals is that we have a strict policy and the powers that be react swiftly and openly. Remember the dioxins in pork scandal. It had little impact on pork sales because of the perception we reacted quickly and honestly.

Clanrickard

I'd say a bit of an overstatement, but with some validity. There's a lot of misty-eyed nonsense talked about the food industry.

CSO statistics give some insight into the matter.

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/externaltrade/2012/trade_oct2012.pdf

Just to pick one figure, in October 2012 Ireland exported about €265 millions worth of "meat and meat preparations". We imported about €72 millions worth. So we export about three times as much as we import - but it's probably a surprise to many that our imports are not negligible.
Food and live animals was the third highest category. Whats your point?

Schuhart

Food and live animals was the third highest category. Whats your point?
Oh, simply what I've said - that Irish meat imports are not insignificant, but the bulk of Irish meat is domestically produced. I'm making the point in a context where many would have been told that the import content of the Irish food sector is negligible; before this crisis, I'm sure that few (outside the food industry) would have thought that an 'Irish' burger could include a considerable amount of imported material.

Eoin Coir

shocking statement by Peyton. Irish beef is top in most Paris restaurants and other EU countries also. But severe damage will be done by latest revelations. Reason horsemeat is used is that is much cheaper than pork, which in turn in far far cheaper than cattle meat.
This false statement by Peyton must be refuted.

Clanrickard

Oh, simply what I've said - that Irish meat imports are not insignificant, but the bulk of Irish meat is domestically produced. I'm making the point in a context where many would have been told that the import content of the Irish food sector is negligible; before this crisis, I'm sure that few (outside the food industry) would have thought that an 'Irish' burger could include a considerable amount of imported material.
And how does that tie in with the ranting of Mr. Peyton.

Davidoff

Many of us have had our eyes opened over the past month.

I was shocked to learn that half the chicken we consume is imported, much of it from distant parts of Asia.

pippakin

I can't see one good reason including price that this country would need to import beef and yet its obviously happening on a very large scale.

The problem for us is its not in the supermarkets interest to take Irish product off the shelves and that is what they are doing. I suspect gombeen Ireland has been at it again.

Eoin Coir

worst i ever heard is chicken nuggets. Skin and even bones are ground up with additives added. I am also very suspicious of fish fingers.

Mad as Fish

Many of us have had our eyes opened over the past month.

I was shocked to learn that half the chicken we consume is imported, much of it from distant parts of Asia.
There was a fad a few years back in the UK for feeding beef cattle on chicken sh*t. Lots of nitrogen in it y'see and the rumen fauna would convert it to protein just so long as the energy input was upped to feed the bugs in the gut. And then think of that great chunk of muscle right at the rear of every cow, yep that's the one, once it's in beef pattie who'll ever know?

All sorts of things going on that we never get to hear about.