Olwyn and Liz have gone. We must have gender quotas now!

Should gender-quotas be introduced?

• Yes

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 42 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blacbloc

Miram O' Callaghan held a good debate last night about gender quotas and their pros and cons. Further discussion here with links to the programme and other related material and press coverage. Pretty shocking that 14 of the 23 women TDs are against a temporary, remedial quota system despite the abysmal progress with female presentation.

http://theantiroom.wordpress.com/2010/09/15/guest-post-who-is-merit-when-she’s-around/

Lots of food for thought in the Prime Time Report - NB there are two segments both embedded in the text at the link about.

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Olwyn E and Liz McM are going. We must have gender quotas now!" </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

blacbloc

Olwyn E and Liz McM are going. We must have gender quotas now!

Miram O' Callaghan held a good debate last night about gender quotas and their pros and cons. Further discussion here with links to the programme and other related material and press coverage. Pretty shocking that 14 of the 23 women TDs are against a temporary, remedial quota system despite the abysmal progress with female representation.

http://theantiroom.wordpress.com/2010/09/15/guest-post-who-is-merit-when-she’s-around/

Lots of food for thought in the Prime Time Report - NB there are two segments both embedded in the text at the link above.

<Mod> Title edited per request. </Mod>

Last edited by a moderator:

controller

Has anybody done a study of the constituencies where there have been more woman voters than men, and a woman put herself forward for election, what has been the success rate?? Do women vote for women???

eoghanacht

I'm all for more women TD's put is enforcing gender quota's the right way to go. How do you ensure you'll get enough female candidates to fill the quota, will they be of the right calibre?

I know most of our current crop aren't fit for purpose either.

CookieMonster

If we're to have gender quotas who else gets quotas?

Orando Broom

Gender quotas, to lower the bar further.

They can either hack the job or F**k off. Same for them all.

Pauli

I am totally against quotas. A useless woman in the job is just as bad as a useless man. Coughlan and Harney are evidence enough to prove that. I would hate to think a good woman is being blocked by a useless man and vice versa. We should always try to put the best available in the position available, regardless of gender.

grafter1

There are no TDs who've had sex changes (well one or two are open to debate)

I demand a sex change Quota.

Quotas are ridiculous but in this nanny state nothing will surprise me.

CookieMonster

Gender quotas, to lower the bar further.

They can either hack the job or F**k off. Same for them all.
But women are different and they didn't fight for years for equality to be treated the same as men.

I love the smell of burning bras in the morning...

stringjack

I am totally against quotas. A useless woman in the job is just as bad as a useless man. Coughlan and Harney are evidence enough to prove that. I would hate to think a good woman is being blocked by a useless man and vice versa. We should always try to put the best available in the position available, regardless of gender.
Two things: First, how is 'best' being defined? If I vote purely on the basis of my policy preferences, the 'best' candidate is simply the one who agrees with me. Second, if 'best' is defined in some more objective sense (in terms of something like 'ability', say), what makes you think that quotas aren't the most effective way of ensuring that we get closer to electing the best people?

blacbloc

AS the article says - hope folks are reading it btw ;-) - we have an unbalanced situation that is fundamentally wrong and bad for our society. It's intended as temporary measure until the numbers are evened out and the running of the Dail is rendered more conducive to having both women and men. Something has to be done. The same old hidden attitudes and barriers won't go away unless this happens.

blacbloc

Has anybody done a study of the constituencies where there have been more woman voters than men, and a woman put herself forward for election, what has been the success rate?? Do women vote for women???
That's an issue too. I don't know if there are constituencies where eligible women voters outnumber men - must try to find out. Definitely been the case though that where women have stood its clear that women have not always supported them. However if there were more choices as between women on a single list, it would likely make a huge difference.

Exacerbating the situation is the fact that many of the women in politics right now are also part of the wretched cancer aka the familio-political dynasty. It's a moot point whether many/any of those women would have been elected if it weren't for their fathers prior careers.

I'd rather see neutral quotas than any more of that.

kerdasi amaq

The whole concept is sexist. A bunch of professionally discontented females is attempting to fix the electoral process so as to enhance the prospect of other professionally discontented females taking over the government; to no ones benefit.

They must be stopped.

CookieMonster

AS the article says - hope folks are reading it btw ;-) - we have an unbalanced situation that is fundamentally wrong and bad for our society. It's intended as temporary measure until the numbers are evened out and the running of the Dail is rendered more conducive to having both women and men. Something has to be done. The same old hidden attitudes and barriers won't go away unless this happens.

How about more women standing for selection at party level? How about them working hard to gain selection? How about them working hard to get elected? How about them working hard to stay there?

Clanrickard

Two things: First, how is 'best' being defined? If I vote purely on the basis of my policy preferences, the 'best' candidate is simply the one who agrees with me. Second, if 'best' is defined in some more objective sense (in terms of something like 'ability', say), what makes you think that quotas aren't the most effective way of ensuring that we get closer to electing the best people?
Your post makes no sense. If either criteria is used how is putting more skirts on the candidate list going to improve the body politic?

kerdasi amaq

Dana is one woman who should have the letters TD after her name.

New Threads

Most Replies